PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I just don't know which one. I currently have too many pipes devoted to english so I'm going to do a salt/alcohol treatment to one and make it a virginia pipe. The one on the right is a Boswell Author and left is a Peterson pot billiard. So which would you convert to Virginias and why?

B
78B71CBB-4D47-4A7A-9A9A-76979CF15C93-15001-000012486A2CC91D.jpg

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
coal - I really like that Pete! What's the shape number? It's almost a Prince to me, maybe an apple. To answer your question, I would just take a couple of Virginias that you are familiar with, and try them in both pipes, even before going through all the salt, etc. processes. See which pipe tastes better with those blends.
I have pipes that taste better with VAs and I have yet to decode what the critical factors are for making specific ones better.
hp

les

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
As far as a shape number I have no idea. I bought it several years ago on sale. Think I picked it up for $40-$50. Both are great smokers, and I've smoked a virginia in both but have smoked heavy latakias in both and it's ghosted pretty bad. I like the thicker walls on the pete, but the Boswell is better to clench. They are a couple of my favorites. I just have 5 pipes currenty devoted to english and 3 pipes devoted to virginia. And I smoke a lot more virginia than english now. Of course I have also started considering making them both virginia pipes.

B

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll go with the smaller pipes suggestion from roth. I find that a smaller pipe can often get full flavor

out of Virginias and give you a surprisingly long smoke. In my experience, that's the ideal pipe for

Virginias. In my case these are a Pete Around the World bulldog commemorating Ireland and a Killarney

Rhodesian, the only P-lip I own.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
We have a tie breaker! Thanks Harris, this weekend the salt treatment will take place on the Boswell. That author is one of my top pipes. Smokes amazingly well and a great clencher.

B

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Personally, I wouldn't even bother with a salt treatment. I've converted pipes from lat to non-lat without bothering. Just load it up and go. You'll get there. Maybe use some OTC burley for a few bowls, if you have one on hand.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Treat them both smoke from them and decide which one suits ya better for VA smoking.

It never hurts to treat a pipe even if ya take it back to smoking english you may find the freshness .....well......refreshing.

tonibaruch

Lurker
Nov 20, 2011
Milan, Italy
-=========

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with a salt treatment. I've converted pipes from lat to non-lat without bothering. Just load it up and go. You'll get there. Maybe use some OTC burley for a few bowls, if you have one on hand.

======
Same for me.

Reserve salt alcohol for extreme situations

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I'm pretty sensitive to taste. I can pick out a whole lot. Smoked the 3rd bowl of virginia today in the boswell and it's a pretty heavy lat ghost. A lot of penzance and nightcap has gone through this pipe. I'm just gonna go ahead with the salt treatment and take the shortcut to clean tasting virginia.
Chris, I love that idea! However the wife would not and I just bought a new pipe last week so I'm gonna hold off a bit before my next purchase. Next is a Dublin.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.