Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Time to Panic for Real!!!!!!!! KFC Has Run out of Chicken!

(47 posts)
  1. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/didnt-chicken-cross-road-kfc-closes-hundreds-restaurants-runs-chicken-103350668.html

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some fond memories of Kentucky Fried Chicken as a small child.

Since they changed their name to KFC, (Krispy Fat Chunks), I've found them overpriced and underwhelming.

There are a number of awesome local eateries for fried chicken near me.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For a moment there I was worried, then I read the article. Thank god it’s only the UK.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

tried kfc for first time in 20 years it is disgusting. however popeyes spicy chicken topped with some La Morena Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, pretty good

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As I get older I eat this kind of crap less and less but KFC in the UK took a nose dive some years ago. Last time I went into one I realised that they had failed to get my order correct not just on that day but the previous 4 times I had visited and the food was piss poor. Also, despite the fact that the restaurant had just been rebuilt after a fire it was grubby and the staff were oblivious to the fact they were there to work. They were also dense and rude. It's the people they choose to employ that seems to be the problem. They just employ lazy kids with stinking attitudes and I suspect they train them poorly. The kids in McDonald's are the complete opposite. McDonald's seem to have their house in order but I only go in there these days when I'm desperate.

I have now given up on KFC. Not that they will miss little old me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, just a bit of trivia for you as Gino's held the franchise for KFC chicken:

http://ginoshamburgers.homestead.com/GinosHistory.html

My father was the purveyor supplying the hamburgers and chicken for Gino's in Baltimore and I remember that I spent practically every Saturday making shipping boxes for the product. Also a note that the plant location was on the site of Camden Yards in Baltimore and was sold to the Maryland Stadium Authority. My father retired early and moved to Florida.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was raised in Baltimore and remember Gino's!

Their flagship burger was the Gino's Giant, a Big Mac like concoction.

Zito, I just gained half a pound thinking about that. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerfer

Login to Send PM

Sounds like online vendors after IPSD sales.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zito, I just gained half a pound thinking about that. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

Jay, the Gino Giant was a good burger in it's time. I lived in Pikesville, where did you live?

Tim

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I grew up in THIS HOUSE.

Had my parents sign off on enlistment papers 5 days after my 17th birthday and made tracks at a rapid pace after high school graduation 4 months later.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank goodness I've cellared almost 45 pounds of KFC over the past few years. I have it all in the original buckets, which, I was told, will keep the chicken fresh for years and years.

Do you think I should jar it?

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Compress it into poultry plug for maximum flavor.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I gave up on KFC years ago! Like many have posted, their food is sub par by a long shot. The only thing I've recently had from them is their chicken pot pie. A pretty good pot pie, but still too expensive. I remember about 30 years ago when I lived in California, we'd go to Pioneer Chicken and get their fried gizzards or livers. Man that was good, especially if you had been drinking...

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's a ghetto gas station near me that offers the best livers and gizzards I've ever had.

Worth braving the hustlers and panhandlers to leave with greasy fingers and hot sauce stains on the shirt.

Ah, livin' the good life!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dan, there is a very strong demand for vintage fast foods, but the value plummets without the original packaging. And make sure oils and saturated fats don’t mar the nomenclature. If what you have is really rare you should consider donating it to the John Goodman Collection at the Smithsonian. A good accountant will help you step up the valuation to maximize your write-off, even under the new tax law. It’s an aggressive strategy, and not for the chicken.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

I mean, if every KFC closed it would be no loss to the world.
    Its super gross and taking up space that a Chick-FIl-A could be in, lol.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Apparently Gino's is alive and kicking:

http://www.ginosgiant.com/

And, trying to go "uptown":

"No longer fast food - Gino’s Burgers & Chicken is positioned in the fast casual segment of the restaurant industry, and offers the expertise of a management team with a proven record of running great restaurants."

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

John, I’ve been approached by vultures like you before, trying to get their claws into my chicken. Birds of feather are what you are! Butter me up with all that schmaltzy chatter then when you have a leg up on me you wing it out of here. Flock you and the chicken crate you rode in on. I can spot a bad egg, and you’ve been misb-avian!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They closed the KFC in Slidell, La. about 4 months ago.

When you can get Popeye's and Church's Chicken you don't need KFC though.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those creepy commercials and even the mention of KFC triggers my household. A few years ago, we visited KFC for the first time in decades, and when we got home with it, I was alerted to the kitchen quickly with my wife's blood curdling scream on opening the box. It was crawling with live maggots. There is no way anyone could have boxed up that rancid crap and not have seen them, so we didn't even bother taking it back to deal with whatever human served us that crap.

We are devout Bojangle customers for our fast chicken now. We rarely ever even eat fast food, but when we do we do like a tasty chicken occasionally. Plus, frying our own chicken always leaves the kitchen in an oily mess.

If KFC went completely out of business, I wouldn't even bat an eye.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dan, it doesn’t take a psychic to know your fowl remarks will come home to roost.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, the food may now suck, but you should check out the wiki page on Colonel Harland Sanders.

What a colorful life he lived, with successes, failures, brawls and even a shoot-out!

Based on that write up, I'd call it a life well lived.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like KFC!

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember Gino's well.. Reminds me of the joke that was popular when I was a kid.

Why does everyone pee at Gino's?
    Cause Gino's is the place to go!

Grew up in Rosedale (Baltimore Co.). Used to go shooting where White Marsh mall is now located.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

John, ... damn. I had hatched a plan for more fowl humor, but I just can’t keep the yolk going.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It looks like DHL was under contract to reduce CO2 emissions. Maybe if they were allowed to step on the gas they could've delivered the chicken.

From DHL Press Release
    Key areas of focus will be reducing logistics-related emissions to net zero over the life of the contract
    We want to deliver a new level of service to our restaurants and franchise partners, improve the quality of service to our customers and reduce our environmental impact – all to a level that has never been done before.

POSSIBLY, contentment is not only the chief element of life, but also one of the very foundations of society. If this be so, then as Tobacco is the enemy of malice, friend of virtue, and a direct cause for content, its use should be encouraged. -J.W. Cundall 1901
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Meh, I stopped eating at kfc when they stopped making the "double down" sandwich. Where the chicken IS the bread!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the whole I find fast food not worth the eating. Bojangles was praised but I spent $12.00 there many times for 5 thighs, two biscuits and and a drink until I gave up on getting thighs any bigger than my thumb-no, but you get the picture, small chickens have small pieces. Food Lion, a SE region grocery chain gave me 1 lb 28 oz of fried chicken for $7.50. The only problem was that half the weight was breading. You know, the standard corporate bs.

The only thing I get are two Egg McMuffins on Sunday morning, bogo for filling out their cheesy online survey.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. shanegreen

shanegreen

Login to Send PM

Don't worry, it isn't 100 percent chicken anyway methinks. I read years ago that they are not allowed to call it chicken, but something else. Now, I could be wrong, but they are some sort of mutant version or something. If I liked chicken though, I would think it tasted good because of the crispiness I remembered as a kid. Even though I'm not big on fast food and eat more on the healthy side, I seem to like the culture in fast food places better than the up to date hip million word description how they cuddled every pig before they gently euthanized it blah blah blah.

Maybe I don't like chicken because they say it tastes like frog legs.

They're plum loco. All of them.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it strange I thought that this thread would somehow get political and get blackholed by Javan?

Can't say I have much desire for KFC. I've tried Popeyes a few times with mixed results. I remember going out to eat as a kid and my mom would think everything was too expensive. "Do you know how many chickens I could buy for that?" She'd always say. I think Popeyes is way overpriced.

I recently found an incredible recipe for fried chicken I will share with anyone who asks. SO MUCH BETTER than anything from either KFC or Popeyes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I last had KFC in 1980. It was good, but not good enough to ever go back.

The best fried chicken that I ever had was at the (now long gone) Joy Freeze in Millsboro, Delaware. Just amazingly delicious.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to eat at KFC a lot when I was younger, and it was a much better restaurant. Over the years the local KFC went down hill, so I ate at it less and less. It eventually closed up and is now a Mexican restaurant. Now days I prefer to eat a Popeyes. I still eat at KFC from time to time, but very rarely.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few years ago, we visited KFC for the first time in decades, and when we got home with it, I was alerted to the kitchen quickly with my wife's blood curdling scream on opening the box. It was crawling with live maggots. There is no way anyone could have boxed up that rancid crap and not have seen them-Cosmic

Had to have been someone who knows you, Cosmic.

Pipestud
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Worth braving the hustlers and panhandlers to leave with greasy fingers and hot sauce stains on the shirt.

You hope it's hot sauce.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have been to KFC only 2 times in my life, both have ended with a disaster for my stomach.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

KFC is nasty. I think fast food joints that make really unhealthy food should at least have the decensy to make it taste good.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Had to have been someone who knows you, Cosmic

Yeh, probably a forum member, ha ha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Now you folks are in my next of the woods!
    Running out of product for franchisees sounds like a nightmare.....

I worked for Roy Rogers in '82, when the acquired Gino's. (and I still work for RR). Their DM's lived like Kings, Cadillac company cars. The old Gino's buildings (we still have two in the system) had an upstairs above the restaurant. Most DM's converted one into their office, but some were more like swinging bachelor pads, where nubile young hostesses were lured....Ah the go-go 80's.

Gino's had about four units sprinkled around Baltimore. They are down to one, you can't do purchasing for four units and stay profitable.

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Somewhere, I still have a Gino's ashtray.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I imagine buying for any restaurant would be a difficult job. Our local favorite trough found as deal on Quails, and bought twenty of them for a special dish on Valentines. Afraid that many wouldn't be interested in eating quail, they really played it up on social media. We were there in line at opening, and only after a 25 minute wait, we were all told that the quail had sold out, and all they had left was fresh trout or the heart shaped sushi. Mmmmm, fish on Valentines Day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jvnshr I'm with you on this one, pal. I did eat at KFC more than a couple of times in my live, but the last couple of times were just a horrible experience. Maybe, just maybe, if they used actual chicken instead of mutants, it would be somewhat better - not to mention as of late my body is very sensitive to stuff deep fried in palm oil.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@madox07, I don't want to drive you back to KFC, but they use a Canola/Soybean blend for frying chicken. Most of the big chains wouldn't use palm oil, it's far too expensive.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love junk food. I have not been back to KFC since the last time I almost died of salt exposure. Also here one of our grocery chains makes top-notch fried chicken at lower prices than KFC, so I hunt that down instead. It's also not terribly hard to make at home, just a bit of a mess with all the oil, since we no longer have battlements from which to pour boiling oil on invaders.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkxAAilnLEI

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  45. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do you smoke chicken?

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

KFC= Shit in a Bucket.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ LOL !

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cortezattic, peckinpahhombre, timt, jeff540, pappymac, lasttango, celticbrewer