PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
In the Valentines Day thread condorlover1 suggested the idea of the use of a Time Machine. mcitinner1 quickly responded with what his time machine would be used for and just like that we have a fascinating thread concept. TO avoid the derailing of the original post I offer the following:
With regards to your own life, what would you do with a time machine? Would you go back and relive special moments long gone? Would you travel back to change an event or direction taken?
I would love to hear how people would use such a device. Just the insight into whether people would use it for observation purposes or for the manipulation of fortunes is intriguing enough.
j/B

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There would be many things I would change if I could travel back in time now armed with the knowledge of the past and how it has impacted myself personally in current times.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
There are so many things. I like what Ogre said about spending more time with deceased loved ones. Also, I would go back and invest in lots of those 1,000-bagger stocks at their IPO, and sell them at the optimal time. I would waste less time and money on things that didn't pan out, and more time on things that I lately find myself saying "I wish I had spent more time doing/learning that". And I would stock up on all these long-gone tobaccos that I hear you guys talk about, but I have never tried.
A fun topic to ponder; thanks for teeing it up.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
If the rules would be "my lifetime", if by that you mean change something, no way. I'm not sure that I would want to be anything different. I most certainly am not rich or famous, nor do I have all the answers, but one thing I am is blessed, and that is one thing I am not sure would be the same if I had not gone through the trials I have.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
STephen King wrote a pretty good book that had a time 'window' or 'door' he could traverse. He and the guy who had first discovered it decided to stop the Kennedy assassination. There is some discussion of the butterfly effect.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
The responses have been great. By my count I have 8 that would change things with only 1 speaking out against change. Keep the input coming!! We haven't heard "I would go back and relive my two weeks with the box pass box" yet.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
pipebaum81:
You've posed an interesting question. Assuming that I could go back to then, knowing what I now know, there are many, many things which I would undo.
I would relive a handful of special days, just for the sheer joy of them. I would meet my maternal grandfather (a pipe-smoker) who passed well before I was born.
I would spend more time with each of my dogs who were taken too soon. I would take note of the days on which I was conceived, and on which I was born; to smell the air and feel the weather of them.
I would relive a summer night in which I sat alone in a dark car out in the country, far from any lights, and saw the tiny fireworks of what must have been thousands of fireflies - an enchanted place. I would hear again the voices of absent loved ones, and feel the security and love which filled the old house in which I was raised.
I would hear my late father singing his favorite hymn. And I would again sit before a cheery evening blaze in the fireplace of a shelter-house in a quiet and special winter camp.
A time-machine? I don't need one, for thanks to you I've just been there and back, and am better for the experience.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
+1 Huntertrw, just thinking about where I would go, took me back to those places in an instant.

I am sat here with my head full of thoughts of sad and happy times, thank you for the thread.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
masterpiece_zps1c9f548c.jpg

huntertrw, what a terrific post. Thank you.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I already own the only time machine I will ever need or use. It is my memory. The memory of good times are still fresh and the memories of the hard times have faded over the years. I would change nothing if I would go back because I am exactly where I am supposed to be and I am happy with what ever comes my way, whether it brings joy or if it brings pain because the joy or the pain is part of the journey that will become what I am supposed to be.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Spending time with long-lost relatives & ancestors would certainly come to mind first. But even if the nature of time travel prevented any interference with the event or it's outcome I would still want to be a witness to certain events in history because I believe some are that important to what we have become today.

Status
Not open for further replies.