PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My go-to blends at present seem to be burley blends and English. In the meantime, over time, I've accumulated a number of reportedly excellent and interesting Virginias and Va/Pers of various kinds from different blenders. I'm finishing off a jar of McClellands 5100, red Virginia of course, and enjoy it every time. Once that is gone, I'll open another tin or two, or move forward a jar of other Virginia and start exploring that. I'm just so hooked on the elegance and fullness of burley blends and English, but time for more Virginia is approaching. El Nino, Escudo, S&G Brown Sugar Flake ... and so on. Don't know how I got off the Virginia train, but I have it on hand. I have some jarred PS Luxury Flake, OGS, and others. Summer's here. Mmmm-mmm.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
yea MSO, I go through those cycles also.

I enjoy many Virginias like McC #27 and Vapers like Tudor Castle, St James Flake, and Haddo's. Hope you find your summertime tobacco groove!

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
My latest TAD cellar acquisitions have included a tin each of Reiner No.79, and Escudo. With summer coming up I'm debating whether to open some OGS or some 4yr old brunello flake.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Just filled a bowl (cob) with McClellands #25 that has been sitting for 4 years. Looking forward to a sweet smoke.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
95% of what I smoke are Virginias or their variants. I've recently reintroduced some English and the occasional aro back into the line up. Recently I've been enjoying the pleasures of Bohemian Scandal, the very generous surprise gift of a member here. My choices don't change with the seasons. I smoke what I feel like smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable', yes, I don't think I'll go without my burley and English blends, just cycle in more Virginias and Va/Per besides.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
My main lineup has always been primarily McC VAs & VaPers, but some of the other blending houses are creeping in due to attrition. Blends comprised of Oriental variants, and finding an outstanding Oriental/Turkish blending leaf, are a big focus right now. Latakia blends are in the back seat, though I’ve enjoyed some blends shared with me like Easy Chair from The Smoker.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
My choices don't change with the seasons. I smoke what I feel like smoking.
Me Too. I only smoke indoors, so every blend is in the running. I have however, smoked English blends in the summer and did not notice any difference between smoking it winter or summer.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I love MCC flake Virginias. Especially opening a fresh 100 gram tin and and slowly smoking it from wet to dry. I find the tin changes flavor over time

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Good thread, MSO.
I love my English blends, but I find I can't have repeat bowls as I get palate fatigue and my mouth gets a leather like coating.

With burley blends, I love them and can have repeat bowls, but they lack a bit of nance and finesse. However they are very satisfying... They are the work horse of my rotation.
With VAs and variants, I get a beautifully pleasant experience and can follow up with another quickly. The only criticism is that sometimes they can be unsatisfying.... and leaving me wanting more.
As a wine analogy..... English blends are a bold Cabernet Savignon.... Burley a nice Merlot.... VAs a Pinot Noir,

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
McClelland VA flakes can't be beat, St. James Woods, Blackwoods, #27 to name a few.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
Virginias and VaOrs are my go-to blends year round. The occasional burley in the mix now and then. It's amazing the variations in the different types of Virginias and I never grow tired of them.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I'm trying Opening Night for the first time, not too familiar with straight Virginias. It is a whole other world as many are saying. Really enjoying the crisp/clean earthy smoke. Also, funny enough the room note when I came back downstairs sent me back to a memory of my father 30 years ago or more. Must have been his go-to.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Virginia’s are my usual go to. I have a mix of many things on the go but I always come back to old Gowrie or some reliable McClelland

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke Virginia's year round as I smoke indoors. Lost my taste for English and Orientals over a decade ago. Will smoke the occasional aromatic when the kids are over.

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
I stumbled across an excellent technique for SGFVF, let the flakes extremely dry out (I almost trashed them they were so dry) and then crumble/gravity feed into favorite pipe, Excellent smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.