PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmer93

Lurker
Feb 16, 2014
I just got a new job two weeks ago and it's a full time job with very good pay. (Finally!), anyway at my new job I'm working about 45-50 hours a week and I'm sure some of you work like that also, but how can you find the time to smoke a pipe? I used to have the time when I was working on farms, but now I haven't smoked for three or four weeks. This might sound funny but are most of you retired and have the time, or smoke at work if your aloud too, or have a certain time you sit down at home after work and smoke?

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It honestly depends. I can go for long stretches without being able to smoke (my job takes a lot of time and I have a one year old). So I just don't. It makes me appreciate the times I get to smoke more.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I work pretty long hours: 7:34 train in the morning and the 7:23 or 8:42 home. If I'm on the 8:42 then I'm home at 10:15. I light a pipe when I walk the dogs and then, particularly when it is nice weather like this, sit on the porch and finish my pipe before bed. I almost always find the time. Congrats on the new job.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I work from home most of the time. I usually smoke two bowls in the evening after the kids are in bed. I usually take my laptop outside on my patio, and read/post on the forums as I am now, and have a pipe.
Sometimes I'll get up a bit early too, and sit and have a pipe with my coffee, but most the time, I'd just rather sleep.
You'll figure it out, like the old adage..."where there's a will, there's a way"

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'll be retired next year.
I usually get home some time after midnight, so I grab a bite to eat, pour myself a drink and head out to the "office" for a smoke. Then I come back in, check email and this forum, then get six hours of sleep before repeating the cycle. On my days off my smoking sessions are extended a bit. Some weeks I only have one day off though.
Sure would be nice to smoke at work, but I'd have to stand outside on the sidewalk. At least I'd be in good company out there with some of the anesthesiologists. (still in scrubs, by the way)
Years ago I worked for a technology company. When my manager (who was from Turkey) would call a staff meeting he'd hand out cigars to everybody as we came into his office. Best boss I ever had.
Congrats on the new job. Work hard now so you don't have to when you're old and decrepit...like me!

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Congrats on the new job. I work 50+ hours and have a 1 hr commute each way, that means night time and weekends are my times to light up. I find it is a nice ritual to help me relax and unwind, so look at your newly emerging pattern and identify opportunities to sit down and relax with your pipes. I find blends with too much vitamin 'N' keep me up more than a cup of coffee, so be careful on which blends you choose on weeknights.
RD

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I work about 50 hours/week. Get up at 6 and smoke a bowl while semi-meditating on back patio with calm music playing. After work, I often smoke a bowl (and drink a brandy or single malt scotch) while unwinding with my wife before dinner.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I pack a bowl the night before and smoke in the morning on my way to work. Then again on the drive back home.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've worked 50 hour work weeks for 35 years - time management is the key. If I worked a 40 hour work week, it's likely I'd have been divorced a long time ago!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Farmer:
I'm a full-time freelance writer (books and magazine articles), so I work at home. I don't smoke in the house at all, but I can easily sit outside or in the garage (if it's inclement), smoke maybe 4-5 pipes a day, and keep right on working.
Been doing this full-time for 14 years now. I'd be a disaster if I ever had to go back to an office.
Bob

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I work from 7am till 5:30 pm on average. Which means waking at 4:30 am and driving into Houston and getting home at some time after 7 pm. I smoke in my truck and at home in the evenings while I wind down for the night watch the sunset and have a beer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations on the new job. That's great! I think you will have to work a while and find ways to

adapt. Smoking or no smoking, I think you'll do a better job if you have breaks during the work day.

My most productive time in a 40-plus-year career were the break times, when my brain could reboot;

I'd remember details and tasks that had slipped my mind, and my subconscious had time to solve problems.

During such breaks, if you can get where you can smoke, I'd suggest pipes with small bowls, like a Peterson

Belgique or a EWA (see Iwan Ries). Maybe you can smoke while walking briskly. If management could only

understand, this is the biggest energy infusion they can provide, better than coffee or pep rallies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Like many others on here I commute and work 50+ hours a week, so it's pipe time on the walk to/from the station to the office, lunch-time, and in the evening. At home I smoke in the conservatory and in the summer I love the garden. Weekends I've always got a pipe on the go, including in my little runaround. It takes a while to work out what does/n't work and I have to be careful not to alienate folk (like the wife) but all-in-all it's good. I don't smoke aro's, but I do make sure I don't smoke stinkers around others, which helps.
One particular pleasure is holding 1-2-1s with my staff by the Thames in the courtyard of Southwark Cathedral (behind my building), where I drink tea and smoke a pipe during the meetings. The smokers smoke and the others don't, so everyone's happy. I'm a very lucky man and the boys and girls on the team, average age 24, all seem to enjoy the break from the office. None of them laugh at me - at least to my face! - and no-one's reported me to HR...yet.
Andy

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
F93-
I usually only smoke on the weekends. Early in the morning.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
New job you like and pays well: lucky you! :clap:
I was always able to smoke during my career. Now, I've been retired over 10yrs. Lucky, lucky me. :puffy:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Congrats on the new job!
My day starts at 3:30 am and ends around 8pm with me in an exhausted stupor. It just makes the time that I can find to smoke my pipe just that much more special and I enjoy it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.