PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
So I've got a Peterson 87, and every time I needed to take the stem off for cleaning, I had to stick it in the freezer. but today, even the freezer trick won't work (in getting it back together).
Any ideas on loosening it?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A few things. If the pipe is apart, thoroughly clean the mortise, use iso, paper towel Q-tips etc. Let that dry very well. See how the stem fits. A great trick is to rub the tenon against a bar of soap, something neutral like Ivory. If the fit is still too tight, take some 0000 steel wool to the tenon.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Bees wax is always good and that stuff is amazing. It can loosen and tighten a tenon.
However, if the stickiness continues to occur take a sheet of the finest grain sandpaper you have available and make one or two twists - no more - around the tenon, and then smoke another bowl. (What you take off cannot be replaced.)
It can take several days, Jessiac, so take it easy. This piping business is a slow moving process.
Fnord

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Wait, after using the sandpaper wouldn't it be better get it to fit before smoking it again?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
However, if the stickiness continues to occur take a sheet of the finest grain sandpaper you have available and make one or two twists - no more - around the tenon, and then smoke another bowl. (What you take off cannot be replaced.)
+1
I've fixed a few tenons this way. I used extra fine sandpaper to start, then finish with micromesh.
The trick is to go slow and keep testing so you don't over do it. Done properly, you will no longer have to fight with it all the time.
I will say that I have one that I over sanded a bit but beeswax allows it to stay put. I no longer will put up with an overly tight stem - well worth the time and effort.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Unless you enjoy this sort of repair work, have someone (shaintiques comes to mind--is that illegal to mention?) gather all your troublesome pipes (almost all of my Petersons hold their stems with a death's grip) and send them out. It's a cheap repair.

Unbelievably, my recently received Peterson Christmas '14 billiard was too loose: the vendor told me this is common and that a few smokes and changes of temperatures would fix the problem. This work.

Status
Not open for further replies.