PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The mercurial Mr Pease posted recently (i.e. last week on his website):
"I have ransacked the “cellar,” only to discover that I have no more early tins of Montgomery to anticipate. Lesson learned. I need to remember always to cellar more deeply than I think I should."
Now here's a turn of events I wouldn't have expected. I assumed my illustrious tobacco hero would have an unending and enviable vault of tins, at least of his own blends. I was under the illusion that he couldn't open the creaking wooden door to his cavernous cellar without risk of knocking over crates of Bohemian Scandal. But here he is, out of the vintage Montgomery he needs to live. I believe I hear his voice echoing in the gloom, CELLAR DEEPER!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You would think fellows like Greg would have a huge cellar. But look at many pipe carvers who smoke cigarettes or their own seconds. I suspect the temptation is to avoid eating up your profits with your own consumption. Or, perhaps they figure they can grab some any time they want and just get caught up in the day to day business. I definitely agree with the sentiment of cellaring deep.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Greg told me that he keeps reference samples of everything he's blended, plus the raw materials with which to work his alchemy. But I didn't get the impression that his cellar was gigantic, more like a large closet.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I won't say who, but one of the owners of McClelland's, after dispersing the last of their warehouse inventory, asked me if I had a 100g tin of Frog Morton Across the Pond that could be purchased because "that person" forgot to keep one.
I was laughing so hard that after shipping the tin I didn't charge that person for the tin due to the entertainment value of the whole thing.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
One of the owners of McClelland's, after dispersing the last of their warehouse inventory, asked me if I had a 100g tin of Frog Morton Across the Pond that could be purchased because "that person" forgot to keep one.
Both McNeil and Pease have this problem??? Jesus wept.
Everyone else is hoarding their shit and they can't be bothered to check that they have saved supply of their own.
Well who knows... maybe when you've been doing it for years you just get damn-well sick of smoking your own blends. Maybe it becomes boring to you. I could see how you might crave something completely different just to get your mind off all the Syrian leaf you've smoked.
Captain Black Grape?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Speaking of laughs, I've just read Steve's blog on ten amazing question Pipestud received and answered.
You just gotta love numbers 4 & 10 especially. :rofl:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Everyone else is hoarding their shit and they can't be bothered to check that they have saved supply of their own.
Maybe the McNeils held onto some of the things they liked to smoke rather than some of everything.
Not everybody in the P&T community is completely insane. Guys well into their 70's or 80's with 500 lbs in the cellar, still buying 5 lbs for every lb smoked are nuts. It will most likely end up in a dumpster, will or no will.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Guys well into their 70's or 80's with 500 lbs in the cellar... It will most likely end up in a dumpster, will or no will.
I can't disagree. Except for an old uncle who habitually puffs Prince Albert I don't have any acquaintances that even smoke pipes much less hoard vintage tobacco. But I'd guess for the people you're talking about it's motivated by the "prestige" of a large collection.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Not everybody in the P&T community is completely insane. Guys well into their 70's or 80's with 500 lbs in the cellar, still buying 5 lbs for every lb smoked are nuts. It will most likely end up in a dumpster, will or no will.
I agree that's a significant possibility, Sable, as an attorney where about 1/3 of my business is in trusts and estates. I would recommend leaving a prominently-displayed note in the "cellar" about the potential value of the tobacco... or just leaving it all to a younger pipe smoker :puffy:

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I would recommend leaving a prominently-displayed note in the "cellar" about the potential value of the tobacco... or just leaving it all to a younger pipe smoker
Can we make some sort of consortium of the younger members here? I'm happy to do my part to prevent aged tobacco from being thrown into the trash.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Speaking of laughs, I've just read Steve's blog on ten amazing question Pipestud received and answered. Hard to imagine some people are quite so dense and demanding.

LINK to webpage -jpmcwjr
First, I am glad that someone actually reads my blogs, so thank you, jpmcwjr. Second, I never cease to be amazed at what will turn up in my email in-box on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.