PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrefawkes

Lurker
Jun 18, 2012
Okay, fellas,

I've read lots of talk about pipe restoration and salvaging abused or damaged pipes, lots of creative fixes and MacGyver ingenuity, and I have to admire the never-say-die attitude, I must say; however, I was just wondering when (if ever?) and under what circumstances have you given (or would you give) up on a pipe? And if that happened (or when it did), would you round-file said pipe, shelve it indefinitely, or sell it to someone willing to take up the cause?

Would love to hear your ethos, thoughts and any entertaining anecdotes.
- FF

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I've had a few over the years that for various reason, I've given up on. I never tried to pass them on to someone as a project, although you may find someone to take up the cause.
I've had fun with all that I've given up on, though - I've cut them in half, lengthways and crossways, sliced bowls and stems up, and generally f'ed around. You can learn a bit, even from a dead pipe.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@Mr. Fawkes: Just as a side note, you have the best handle on here. BTW, I'm on the pre-release development team of Nightly (fyrefawkes 20.0a1). Just a side note :) And I'm British, so I know what you mean.
Dave

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I bought an old Peterson System pipe at an antique store for $7, and the bowl literally crumbled once I started cleaning it. No matter, I figured I'd work on the stem. Not a bad idea to have an extra stem for a Pete kicking around. Same result. First pipe cleaner went right through the side. The pipe itself seemed to be glued together by cake and tar. It got a proper burial.
Anyways, all that I have left now is the band. For $7, it was worth a shot.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
First obviously broken ones that you can't even attempt to glue back together.

Second, those I've already spent 100 hours on and still getting nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.