PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I've been trying out some new blends lately while stocking up on Esoterica blends, so, being a good Catholic boy, I decided to make friends with Three Nuns. The tin note made my mouth water! I stuck a few coins in an old Ascorti and fried it up. I gotta' tell you, I've never met Nuns as tasteless as this blend. It lit easily and stayed lit all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. That's about it for positives! I found it to be almost flavorless, like smoking ash! This is, by far, the worst VA/Bur blend I've ever had. I almost threw it away, but I came to my senses in the nick of time and threw it in a jar. Maybe time will help... it can't get any worse! :(
Tim

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Have you tried Escudo? That stuff will probably make your Three Nuns look like a triple-X cornucopia of amazing flavors.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I could be quite wrong, but didn't Three Nuns have a little perique in it? Or maybe that was just in the old days? I do know though that Three Nuns was the favoured smoke of CS Lewis.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
...and I love C.S. Lewis, which was one reason I wanted to try this stuff. No Perique listed or tasted.

Escudo??? Not a fan of Perique and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Escudo has quite a bit of the stuff. Dunbar lists Perique as an ingredient, and I love it! No black pepper taste! I don't think there is more than a dash of the stuff in it.
Tim

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I just looked it up on tobaccoreviews, and yes it DID used to have Perique in it when it was blended by Bells. But these days under both Orlik and MacBaren the Perique has been replaced by Kentucky. Not that I ever smoked it (I find Perique a little distasteful) but JimInks reviews it and regards the original as his favourite blend of all time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The old Va/Per Three Nuns wasn't a Perique powerhouse, but a unique flavorful blend. The current version is also based on the old Va/Kentucky recipe. The closest thing made today that resembles the fabled Va/Per version of Tnree Nuns is Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.

The current Three Nuns is not best smoked right out of the tin. It needs a little dry time, not a lot, but some, to get the flavors to come out. That said, I'm not a fan, and have stocked up on Doblone d'Oro so that I can enjoy Three Nuns as I remember it.
Dunbar has just a little Perique in it. It's one of my favorite blends.
Escudo has more of that black pepper kick and if allowed to age for several years, loses some of that kick while gaining a very pleasant fruitiness and deeper Virginia flavor. People who knock Escudo because they've only smoked it fresh straight out of the tin are missing 90% of what that blend can be.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thanks, all. I will try the Savinelli. I may also pick up a tin or two of the Escudo for later. Next on my "everybody seems to like this" list to try is Royal Yacht. (I can hear you cheering from here Mr Fallon) :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@sablebrush- I'm a people who has only tried it fresh out of the tin, and you're right, it's only 10% of what a blend should be.
You're not the only one who feels that way about Escudo, so I'm betting you guys are right and bought a few tins specifically to age. I'm still not sure about the idea of a tobacco that has to be sat on like a 401(k) to be worth a damn, though. If I croak before you, it's your problem anyway! (BTW, I put little stickers with the month/year I purchased them on my tins, so you should have at least an idea of the vintage.)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Next on my "everybody seems to like this" list to try is Royal Yacht.
Excellent choice. Tolkien and Lewis would have smoked this but for an accident of history, I assume.
I will also heartily endorse Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. It is the best of this type of blend that I have found, surpassing both the fancypants nancypants luxury items and the cheaper bulks, which tend to taste like breakfast cereal, too sweet and grainy to notice the tobacco.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The bigger factor for me, and I imagine this was so for them to some degree, is that it is fun to have multiple favorites.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
"Lewis also enjoyed Erinmore"
A tobacco that makes me cringe! It always tastes of pineapple to me - and not in a good way. However, I can recommend Erinmore Balkan Mixture - it is not the best Balkan blend out there, but it's a pretty decent one regardless.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I enjoy Lewis (and other boring but insightful English authors like Graham Greene) and did not find Erinmore Flake to be displeasing:
Summary: sweet Virginias balanced by nutty Burleys and matured Virginias create a deep flavor from a simple idea.
Virginias taste like vinegar: sweet and acidic. Much of tobacco blending seems to have been a struggle to bring out the sweet while repressing the acidic. "Erinmore Flake" blends Burley and matured Virginias into the bright Virginia mix to broaden the flavor, expanding the taste rather than trying to obscure it, and then much as in "University Flake" a fruit salad topping is adding. That flavoring burns off quickly, leaving a sweetened nutty flavor with a bready center. On the high side of medium strength, this tobacco is easy to enjoy and its internal depth keeps it interesting over time.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1126/scandinavian-tobacco-group-stg-erinmore-flake#review83974
However, it is questionable whether I will order more. Perhaps... who doesn't like a rich light flake?
Is it time to tell the nun joke yet?
OK, here goes:
A man in a trenchcoat approaches a bench in Brooklyn. On it are three nuns, one 40, one 60, one 80. The flasher whips open his coat to the shock and surprise of the three women. Immediately, the first nun has a stroke; the second nun has a stroke soon after... but the third couldn't reach.
Thank you, thank you, I'm here every weeknight. Time to show myself out before (ouch!) security gets surly.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Three young nuns are ordered to paint a room in the convent, and the last instruction of the Mother Superior is that they must not get even one single drop of paint on their habits. After discussing it, the two nuns decide to lock the door of the room, strip off their habits, and paint naked. In the middle of the project, there comes a knock at the door. "Who is it?" calls one of the nuns.
"Blind man," replies a voice from the other side of the door.
The nuns look at each other, shrug, and, deciding that no harm can come from letting a blind man into the room, they open the door.
"Nice boobs," says the man. "Where do you want the blinds?"
If anyone is offended, deathmetal started it :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.