PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Came across this on eBay while browsing, and man I am super bummed that it's already over my limit. I really enjoy the current Three Nuns blend, but I have continually read that the old blend was much better than the current offering. With over two days to go and it already being nearly $200, who knows where it will end at!
Sealed 1950/60s Three Nuns Tin

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I never had occasion to smoke the Scotland blended 3 Nuns but I sure enjoyed the made in Denmark stuff! Even if I had the money I would

be hesitant. Three Nuns was a flavored/ top dresses blend and I would be less than confident that wonderful essenence would survive that long rest but, have had good luck with some pretty old blends. most assuredly, it will bring a princely sum. Best to the new owner.

Mike S.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
It's pretty cool that a sealed tin would go unscathed for half a century! Regardless of the condition of the tobacco it's a nice collectors item - I'm not sure I could bring myself to open it.

Dec 24, 2012
gogo, since you posted this, I think you should buy it and share samples with the guys here on the forum so we can collectively determine whether this blend is worth your money.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
gogo, since you posted this, I think you should buy it and share samples with the guys here on the forum so we can collectively determine whether this blend is worth your money.
Sounds like a plan!! :rofl:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Have you been to his website gogo? pipestud.com
I buy tins from him once in a while and I see 3 nuns on there from time to time and like farmer mentioned I saw that can on his site for a while.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Other people's money (OPM) is the best kind of free. Except for the moral problems and eventual collapse. Oh, that.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Your powers of persuasion are impressive, but the thought of what my wife may do to me if she found out I spent $200+ on a tin of tobacco still outweighs it... ;)
Have you been to his website gogo? pipestud.com
I didn't know about his site until today actually. I'll have to keep an eye on it from now on. By the way, I've been meaning to mention this every time I see your post, but I'm excited to see another Liverpool/EPL fan on here!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Morals problem? If the morality of using OPM really led to collapse humanity would have gone extinct millennia ago

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
the morality of using OPM really led to collapse humanity would have gone extinct millennia ago
Collapse usually does not lead to extinction, just loss of a civilization's higher functions.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Gogo - You'll never walk alone! I'm excited about Klopp. I hope they dump Sturridge and buy a solid replacement. Sturridge is now hurt again after playing in what one or 2 games? When fit he's great but he's a mess!
Guy - I thought I remembered it being around $350 but I could be way off.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Then I'll rephrase: if using OPM led to the loss of a civilization's higher functions (whatever those may be), civilization would have never developed them to begin with. The practice goes back as far as recorded history, and appears in virtually every society since the Sumerians were putting cuneiform chicken scratches on clay.
It's fashionable to think that the world is going to hell; it always has been. People worried about moral decay have been bemoaning the evils of their times since time began. I personally don't think people, as a class, change much. The things that actuate us today are pretty much the same things that actuated our remotest ancestors. The only difference is the degree to which society tries to hem in freedom of action, and this varies based on time and place.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It was listed for over $800.
Even if I had that kind of money to spend on this kind of item, I wouldn't be interested. A 50 year old tin of tobacco is not likely to deliver the goods. Just too old. And if its flavor relied on a topping, even less likely to be representative of the glory that was. That's just too much to spend on some tin surrounding sludge.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
I've had the joy of experiencing a bowl of Three Nuns from the 1940s, and it was amazing – one of the most extraordinary smokes of my life. I've smoked many tins from when it was made in Scotland, and more than a few of the first Danish iteration of the stuff, from back when it still at least resembled the original. Three Nuns is legendary for a reason, and the old tins have staying power few others can claim. It was a remarkable tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just haven't had good luck with these really old tins. Earlier this year I had the opportunity to smoke Capstan Blue from 1938 and 1941. The 1941 tasted like Capstan, just slightly miniaturized in strength, but quite enjoyable. The 1938 tasted like a Martian privy.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I still don't understand why people pay so much money for tobacco. There are hundreds of brands around with thousands of various blends. Just grab one and smoke it. Maybe they have good memories or some kind of connection specifically to that tobacco, but $200 for a tin? Why not to buy a Savinelli instead? But, it is me. I mean, I don't say it is a right or wrong thing to do, it is just me who don't understand it. While writing it, I realized that I can pay few hundred $s for a nice wine and at the end it will be the same thing as tobacco is burned and wine is digested.

Status
Not open for further replies.