Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Three Nuns

(47 posts)
  1. loseth

loseth

Login to Send PM

Is this stuff extinct? I've seen posts of people mentioning it or smoking it but I have never seen it on any sights, I don't think I've seen a nicer looking tin of tobacco though. Is it true that it is no longer being made?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The original blend of Three Nuns pipe tobacco is no longer being made.

The current Three Nuns is not sold on this side of the pond, but is available in Europe.

Mr. Snuff can get you a 50 gram pouch of the current blend for $25, plus shipping: https://mistersnuff.com/catalog/three-nuns-none-nicer-p-2729.html?osCsid=bf8611f20c6a7cdbcf29c949962cfcf5

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In your opinion, is the current blend worth the $25?

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No. IMO, it's not worth half that. YMMV.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The current blend is nothing like the original. The original was a Perique laden glorious blend that was in some peoples minds the quintessential Virginia/Perique tobacco. I recently finished my second to last tin and it was incredible with 11 years of age on it. The tobacco starts out quite blond in color, but turns jet black over the years. It is a shame they no longer make it in it's previous form and I am still kicking myself for not loading up on it years ago. The older tins fetch up to 100.00 on ebay when it is on there. I don't chase these older tins because to me, no tobacco is worth that kind of dough, but too many people it is worth it.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A seller on EBay DHGabe has some Three Nuns for sale.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a feeling some of that stuff is newer production and not the old one with Perique.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It is important to know the difference and be sure what you're buying is legit -- especially since the original blend sealed tins go for $50 to more than $100 each.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have read that Villigers Cocktail Hour blend is pretty close, or at least as close as a replica can get. Russ Oulette rants and raves about it so it can't be all bad. I think this would make an interesting topic for a Cocktail Hour vs. Three Nuns throwdown if I could ever get my hands on some of the original stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just looked up Cocktail hour and there is no mention of Perique anywhere in the description. Neither at smokingpipes in their tin description or at Tobacco Reviews. People are comparing it to the new TN with no perique because of the way it is curly cut.

The only blend that is curly cut and has Perique like TN is Wessex Sovereign Curly Cut. I tried it hoping it could be a replacement for TN but the perique in it is too little and it does not have the strength, peppery component or flavor of TN. It is not a bad blend at all but it ain't no TN.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it ain't broke, why do they mess with it?

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Three Nuns has been a fantasy of mine since I was in Catholic School.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. ohiopuffer

ohiopuffer

Login to Send PM

I see some of the old stuff on ebay once in a while.I have never tried to get some though.It does sound interesting.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

wnghanglow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@hobie LOL

Russel is always making new flavors and P&C says they will specail blend something if you ask for it, I'm sure they can blend you a clone for a reasonable price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't want to hijack the thread, but along those lines I've read and been told that the Peter Heinrich Special Curly tastes like Three Nuns. Course I've also read that it's nothing like it. Any thoughts on that? And if so is it akin to the older Nuns or the current Nuns?

I've smoked the Special Curly but have nothing "Nun-wise" to compare it to.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jah, the Heinrichs is nothing like TN. It has no Perique, just like the current version of TN. I have not smoked the current version of TN( and never will) to compare to the Heinrich, but it could be similar.

sothron, that is the million dollar question, it was a great blend, people were buying all they could, it makes no sense for them to ruin it but they have. I would be willing to bet the company has received tons of letters over the years begging them to make it the right way again. The only thing I can think of is that they lost their source for Periique.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I am not mistaken the current incarnation of Three Nuns contains Kentucky instead.

It is also safe to say that the Virginias used are probably vastly different than the vintage stock.

From the reviews I've read and the testimonies given here, I think it is safe to say that there are better tobaccos to pick up if you are visiting Europe.

Regarding eBay, as always, caveat emptor...

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, the Virginias used are the same as in the old blend. It's the perique that's missing, subbed by Kentucky. I'm just glad I have a stash of the old stuff. I've been smoking the current tinned version and it's good. But it's not magical as the perique version. And vastly overpriced now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jiminks, the new version comes in the same tins as the older Perique version right? I wonder how many of those tins on Ebay are the newer version and are being passed off as the old one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cigrmaster: Yes, the tins are identical and there's no way to tell the difference without opening the tin up. I wouldn't buy one off eBay because you wouldn't know what you're really buying until you pop the top.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In that case I would never spring for one because people in the know will be taking advantage of the identification difficulties.

Unless you found a bunch of Three Nuns at an estate sale or a trusted vendor, it'd be pretty hard to be confident about the purchase.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Minister of Tobacciana

Login to Send PM

I wonder if the new version was changed because Perique is more expensive or hard to get?

According to this document, Three Nuns contained 22% perique!!!
    http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/evl27a99/pdf;jsessionid=396744EDC09E30C8365CA3424AB646BB.tobacco03

...that's alot of perique!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I looked at that document....gives the casing recipe, but I have no clue what those items they're talking about are, maybe code of some kind to keep the recipe from falling into the hands of competition....anyway, point is that the recipe is right there, can't imagine it would be that difficult to duplicate, I wonder why someone hasn't.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I suppose someone could blend this, if they know WTH those ingredients are and Whatever "1/3 manufactured Perique" is when it's put in and blended with the rest of the (real) Perique.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The manufactured perique might be the same green river burly pressed into "perique" we see today in many blends. May have used it to save the cost of the end product and still be able to claim it was made with "St. James Parish Perique"...

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sounds logical, Mike. I remember reading about puffers complaining about that "Perique cheat" -- add a pinch of real Perique to validate "it's in there" on the label, then crank it up with Green River. There you go, Perique freaks.

I think with patience, one can make their own blend using their choice of fine Virginias and as much real Perique as they want. Jar it for 5 years, and presto -- the real deal and as good as it gets.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think with patience, one can make their own blend using their choice of fine Virginias and as much real Perique as they want. Jar it for 5 years, and presto -- the real deal and as good as it gets.

I've been doing this myself and actually ended up with a pretty nice smoke, though I think it would be a bit much for most (50% perique). My eventual plan is to get some whole leaf bright VA, some perique, and rig up some contraption to make a rope out of it, though I do know how to do shorter pieces by hand. My problem is going to be getting perique in leaf form, rather than ribbon cut. And since I have no idea what to do for a casing, I'm going to try some without any, and some with sugarwater and see what I end up with.

I have no intention of jarring it for 5 years before trying it, though I think a month or so in a rope should be enough time to tell whether I'll have something worth smoking or not. After that, I can age it as long as I feel necessary.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Minister of Tobacciana

Login to Send PM

I was digging around the legacy library for quite a while trying to discover the secret of St. Bruno and what the hell it was they case it with, you can get lost searching around there because interesting stuff pops up all over, mostly from the BAT archives but they have some Gallaher documents too, the big American companies are mostly cigarette subjects, but I've seen stuff about PA, Granger, SRW etc.

The maze of code names can be cracked though with some diligent cross referencing etc, what they use for St. Bruno was called BONBAC and the shit looks pretty complex:
    http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/document/page?tid=pzk84a99
    ...the casing was also known as BRUNSAN, after the initial stock supply from Ogden's was exhausted, Imperial started making it in-house and they changed the codename.

I love that St. Bruno flavor and if I could mix up some of its casing, I'd be misting alotta leaf from the spray-bottle!

Here is a huge document covering the whole shootin' match!!!:

...and this is interesting too, a scientific survey of a few different pipe tobaccos,
    3Nuns had a high sugar %
    http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/document/page?tid=fij43a99&page=6

All in all, the LTDLibrary is a good look in the guts of what's what.

3Nuns has a lot of entries:
    http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/search/basic?fd=0&q=%22three+nuns%22&df=er&c=ba&c=ga

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Minister of Tobacciana

Login to Send PM

What about this one,

"Project Convent"

...and a customer complaint about 3Nuns Orlik version saying it's "deeply inferior to the real thing" circa 1995
    http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/action/document/page?tid=llj73a99&page=2

Also found the casing codename for 3Nuns,
    they called it PEROCO, which appears to
    be some form of anise, and the perique
    itself was cased with rum, if I'm reading
    this stuff correctly?

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I did a "tobacco casing" search and was surprised to find that the casing recipe for Pall Mall cigarettes used cocoa, licorice, molasses, fruit syrups...

I can see some expensive experiments in the future, I rather wish I hadn't seen that database at all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Minister of Tobacciana

Login to Send PM

Hey Mike!

What about a St. Bruno experiment?

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know anything about St. Bruno, buddy, have no idea what it was (is?) or should be. I'm only doing a VaPer project because they're relatively simple, I know the basics of how it's done, and of course I love a good VaPer but want more perique in it and this way I can get what I want. Also because I enjoy learning new things and conquering shit

Tell me about St. Bruno

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Minister of Tobacciana

Login to Send PM

They used to sell it over here, but now you can't get it. it's a dark Va flake with a distinct casing, it would fall on the more "soapy" side of Lakeland flavor I guess, but there's nothing really like it. it's my personal belief that Stonehaven is a great-grandson of St. Bruno because the flavor profiles are very similar, St. Bruno was first made in 1896. It's one of those love/hate blends and it's distinctly British.

I ain't complaining too much tho, because we here in the USA have such a vast array of top-shelf stuff easily available, and it ain't a case of "the grass is greener on the other side", it's just the way it tastes and the way it smokes, like a dark creaminess that lingers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds sort of like my Charatan's English mixture...first they stopped importing it to the US, then they just stopped producing it completely. I'm pretty sure that if I'd opened the tin and it made me nauseous, they'd still be making it and selling it for $3 a tin, 2 for a fiver, free shipping world-wide. But historically, if I like something too much, it either skyrockets in price (check the price of a '70 dodge challenger, or just a frigging pound of bacon) or they just decide to stop making it for no reason at all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Minister of Tobacciana

Login to Send PM

man, the Mopar stuff has gone thru the friggin' roof!

I've always wanted one of those wild old A100 pickups.

What about the SRT8?
    I wouldn't mind taking a ride with three nuns in this thing!

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They're pretty cars in their own way, but I like the older stuff. I owned a few challengers when I was younger, sold 'em because I spent most of my time overseas and had no time to do what I wanted with 'em, and always figured "I'll pick up another one in a few years when I'm stateside more"...well, I guess the joke was on me. Last one I sold to a buddy of mine at the time, it was a 70, 440 4 speed. Let him have it for $1200. I cry myself to sleep over that car sometimes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Minister of Tobacciana

Login to Send PM

I cry myself to sleep over a '64 Plymouth Fury.

Wish I could drive it now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jah, the Heinrichs is nothing like TN. It has no Perique,

Harris, where did you come up with this? There's a load of perique in Heinrich's Curly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

JP, someone told me that the heinrichs tasted nothing like TN. I for some reason thought it meant it had no Perique but when I looked it up, perique is definitely listed. My bad. Have you smoked any TN from the old days recently and if so do you think the heinrichs tastes like it? I cracked my second to last tin of TN dated 2001 in August of this year and it was a Perique bomb.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, I don't trust my taste buds enough to be one of these that says "it tastes just like it", but I will say that, to the best of my sorry, old, latakia scorched tongue, it gives the same vibe. Keep in mind, I've never smoked aged 3N, I'm sure the perique would be more of a presence that in a green tin. But, fresh for fresh, I think curly is damned close.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

JP, does the Heinrich have a Perique flavor that is in your face and quite strong, I am talking stronger than Escudo. Fresh TN is very peppery with Perique flavor that does get stronger with age. The guy who told me about Heinrichs is someone whose tastes I trust, plus I sent him some of the last of the tin of TN from 01 I was smoking so he could compare it to that Wessex Sovereign. I was praying that the Sovereign would be a replacement but alas no go.

When I buy some Heinrichs and I don't like it, I am hunting you down, remember, I know where you live and I have matches.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After you hunt him down, you can send me the Heinrichs

I really like it, but I wouldn't call it a perique bomb by any means. I'd say it's on a level with Escudo in terms of perique, which to me is pretty subtle in Escudo. The Heinrich's has this nutty/leathery scent or taste about it that seems somewhat common among other curly cuts, like GH Curly Cut Deluxe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I buy some Heinrichs and I don't like it, I am hunting you down, remember, I know where you live and I have matches.

Geez, that reminds me of a girl I dated (fled) when I was a young man in the military...her saying was "Remember, I'm a clinically diagnosed sociopath with obsessive/compulsive tendencies and I know where you live".....always thought she was joking, until I tried to break up with her.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, I just ordered a 200 gram tin of the Heinrichs, of course I had to get the free shipping so I grabbed 5 tins of the Wessex Gold Virginia Flake to add to the cellar and 5 packages of the Corona flints. I keep forgetting to order the flints and have been relegated to using the Zippo flints I get at my local b/m. Believe it or not the Corona flints are superior to the Zippo.

So if my new Heinrichs is not exactly like the TN of old, you know what happens JP....woooosssshhhhh. lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, I was also diagnosed with the OCD but they tagged me as a psychopath not sociopath along with it, I think that is better don't you. heheheh

Items Ordered
    -----------------

Curly Special 200g (#003-048-0001): 1
    Item Total: $33.59

Corona Lighter Flints (5 pack with Brush) (#001-068-0102): 5
    Item Total: $15.50

Gold Virginia Flake 50g (#003-068-0010): 5
    Item Total: $52.86

====================

Subtotal: $101.95
    Shipping (Ground): $0.00
    Total: $101.95

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure, psychopaths might still torture and kill ya, but they'll feel at least a little bad about it...makes all the difference in the world

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lolol, there is a huge difference I agree.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   andypandy, apiperisdown, pruss, pipestud, danielplainview, torque, jiminks, cosmicfolklore, tuold, metarzan, peckinpahhombre, andystewart, jonrandolph, elpfeife, tbradsim1, ravkesef, pipefish, leonidas, metalheadycigarguy, trailboss, mrjerke