PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
I've been making pipes on and off for the past couple years, but other things had been consuming my time during the past six months. So over the Christmas holiday, I buckled down and got back to pipe making. I ended up completing three pipes, two to keep and one to sell eventually.
The two I'm keeping were a commission from my daughter: she insisted she needed her own small churchwarden pipe, and that while I was at it, I should make myself a new one too. For sentimental reasons, I made them both from the same block of briar.

The shorter one is hers, and the larger freehand is mine. They both smoke nicely.
The third pipe I got done is a large diamond shanked billiard.

The grain was pretty good, but there was a big pit right up near the rim. I decided to try an inlay technique I learned from a local bowl turner. It seems smooth and solid, so I think it came out okay. It's a fairly big pipe, too big for me actually. So I hope somebody else enjoys it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Excellent churchwardens; I really like the father-daughter dimension on this. You can both treasure these. Same briar -- nice.
I really like the "accent" on that big pipe. When you carry it off with enough bravado, as you have here I think, it is a plus rather than a flaw.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Thanks, folks! They were fun to make, for the most part.
I can't remember what was the last pipe I showed here, as I haven't been on this forum in the better part of a year. But here are a few more pipes I've made:
pipe-27-briar-gothic-ruin-2014-7.jpg

Here's another big diamond shank I did a while ago, but this one has a plateaux top. It's now with a guy who makes custom hand tools, and he says he really likes it.
pipe-25-briar-curchwarden-2014-08.jpg

This little churchwarden went to the spouse of a former student of mine.
The churchwardens have some challenges, such as getting the bend of the stem just right, but I do enjoy making them.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Nice job on the grain alignment on that straight grain one held by hand. I think that's my favorite, but I'm sure keen on the plateau topped churchwarden. I love smoking from a churchwarden. Well done Sir!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Wow!! You sir make some very lovely pipes. Making the two pipes from the same block for you and your daughter is truly a great idea. Well done. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.