PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Anyone have an experience with Ser Jacopo, Caminetto, or Radice? Looking btwn 250- 400. Do you guys recommend one over the other? Are they're any other brands you recommend in that range?
Also: the highest end pipe I own is a 300 Randy Wiley, how will the compare to that?
I'll have some news on the Lubbock City Councils attempt to ban smoking in a day or two!
Thanks Fellas!

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Radice makes wonderful pipes and offer real value most of the time. I agree with Sam though in that Castello has few peers, in my opinion, at your price point. I have 35 pipes of the entire gambit in terms of pricing. My favorite pipes are without question my Castello pipes. They are fantastic smokers and have a nice open draw.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I say "Buy American" in that price range but I could be biased. I'd say "Buy Texan" but that would definitely be a biased answer :D

If you're set on Italian, all of the above are good. I collected Ser Jacopos for awhile and never was disappointed.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I will agree with Sam I have one of all three, but will agree on the Radice about the refined styling, I like rusticated my fav is my Radice Rind rusticated Lovat, but IMHO you can't go wrong with any of the three. Still take my E. Wilkes over any though! :clap:

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
I also want to include Ardor, Cavicchi to go with the mentioned Castello, Rinaldo, Ser Jacopo, Radice and Caminetto. In no particular order, but ALL are great smokers. Also they can be purchased in that price range, depending of course. Moretti is not bad also.

But out of the 3 you mentioned I would go with Radice, because of what you get for the price. I have several and love all of them.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Such good choices. Are you looking for new or for an estate? If you're entertaining the idea of an estate, look for Ser Jacopo from the 1980's thru early '90's. They produced some of the most flawless pipes ever to come out of Italy at that time. You're looking at under $200 for one of those.

I own a couple of Castellos and their reputation is well earned. Great pipes. But the Ser Jacopo pipe from that period are every bit as good and less expensive.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I have pipes form all those three producers and I like their designs and craftsmanship. They all smoke well, some even great.
In my opinion, Radice currently offers easily the most for ones money. Their prices are actually lower than before because they now sell directly to the merchants. You can get a Radice 'Clear' for $250, whereas lighter stained Ser Jacs and Caminettos cost almost twice as much. Especially Caminetto pricing of today strikes me as bit steep. If you look at rusticated pipes, there isn't that much price variation between these makers.
Here's my latest Radice additions:
qgBQGdE.jpg

Klo71NE.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Of the three, I would go with Radice though what Sablebrush mentioned about Ser Jacopo rings true in my book.
If going new, Radice is producing some fine pipes these days and you can get some serious nicely grained pipes at the $300 mark and still have enough left over for tobacco.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I have all three represented in my collection, and as others have said all three are excellent.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Toss Il Ceppo in there and you've got the Four Horsemen of the Italian Pipepocalypse:
Radice (incredible aesthetic quality, perfect smoke)

Ser Jacopo (probably my very favorite Italian brand, just awesome classic shapes)

Il Ceppo (a classic smoke, very underrated, like their more compact shapes)

Caminetto (I've got 2, both are excellent smokers and I dig their variety of finishes)
Uh, you should just get all 4

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I say "Buy American" in that price range
Definitely. You can get a pipe from Brian Ruthenberg, Rad Davis, Ryan Alden, and any number of other fine American carvers at that price- and the money goes straight to the artist, AND arguably the pipe would be better. Out of what you mentioned, I have only owned a Radice, and I thought it was pretty run of the mill. I had an Ascorti that I really like though, those are very underrated. I don't own one, but if I had to buy Italian I would by a Cavicchi for sure, which would be in your price range.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I own quite a few Italian pipes with Caminetto, Radice, Ascorti, Ser Jacopo, Becker, Capitello, Moretti. Castello and Savinelli. I can w/o reservation state any Becker, Radice, Castello, Caminetto or Capitello will keep you very satisfied.
I own more Becker (Fritz and Paulo) and Radice than any of the others but Capitello is one I would definitely seek out, very, very underrated and under valued, as nicely made as any Radice or Caminetto I own and has treated me very well from its first smoke nearly 30 years ago.
As an aside for not much more money you can find an estate Becker and be happy as it will pay you back in spades if you end up selling it down the road but keep you happily puffing in the mean time.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
All wonderful choices and I lean toward hiplainsdrifter's thoughts regarding an srtisan pipe. Check out Dan Chlebove's Gabrieli pipes on Pipes&Cigars site. I have 2 Gabrieli's and they smoke better than my Radice and Ser Jacapo pipes, which are outstanding on their own. Worth some consideration.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I'm not opposed to another American pipe. My Randy Wiley is amazing. The only reason I mentioned these brands is they had stuff that caught my eye.
If they don't smoke as least as well as my Wiley, then Ill stick with what I already know.
Thanks for the other options, I'll be hunting all night now!

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Radice will give you the most bang for your buck IMO. Caminetto is currently too overpriced unless maybe you're looking at estates.
If you are looking at estates, I'd echo again that Castello is worth a look.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For the money you are willing to spend, I would definitely go Rad Davis. I have owned all of the brands you mentioned and sold everyone. I enjoyed them very much when I owned them, but once I bought my first Rad Davis in August of 2012, it was game over for me, I no longer buy any factory pipes. I now own 32 American artisan pipes and everyone smokes better than all of the ones you mentioned. Now you I am sure asking why do they smoke better. Reasons are this, the stems are constructed so much better, high quality German Vulcanite stems that are hand cut for my tastes blow away Italian acrylic stems. In many cases the briar is better because it is hand chosen. My pipes are lighter, smoke drier and most importantly to me, my tobacco tastes better. I honestly believe you will see a big difference in the smoking properties of a Rad over the names you are looking at. If you are a clencher, his stems will amaze. Of course this is just one mans opinion, but I think if anyone is willing to spend 400, they owe it to themselves to try a Rad.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm a big fan of Italian pipes. I have a few Castellos, Ser Jacs, Radice, etc. They are good pipes, very aesthetically pleasing and those brands are consistently good quality. You can't go wrong.
However, don't overlook the American stuff. I'm new to them and after attending my first pipe show, I can definitely see some more American artisan pipes making their way in to my collection when my budget permits.

Status
Not open for further replies.