PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Been smoking a pipe for a fairly long time and I don't think I've ever managed this before.
A bowl of Standard Mixture in a MM Colonel after breakfast
A bowl of OGS in a Savinelli 207 after lunch
A bowl of random leftovers aromatic mixture in a MM Hardwood after work.
Not a single relight. Not bragging - it just struck me as a "well how about that"

May 4, 2015
I am trying to figure out what to smoke before bed that gives me the best chance not to break my streak!
Nightcap practically smokes itself...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Best way to smoke. Smoke a pipe casually, without too much focus, and the pipe will damn near smoke itself. :wink:

May 4, 2015
Was hoping for the 4 bagger. Peterson Meer screwed me! I always fight this pipe though. Thinking about trading it for some tobacco.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I did that with the only Dunhill I've ever owned. Play with it some more before you give up though. All pipes have different personalities, and you may find it to be your favorite one day.

May 4, 2015
Oh, I've got about four years in to it. Since I'm hoarding tobacco now, I may rehome it to someone that will appreciate it more.
It's a fairly rare bird. '76 red Meer with a sterling band. I'm sure someone will like it.

May 4, 2015
Might be time to revisit your packing/lighting technique..depending on how often you are actually relighting. I also find some dry time helps before lighting up. I'll pack a pipe and sit with it for a while before I light it. I've always had better luck that way.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Definitely let your tobacco dry out some if it's moist and your having relighting issues. That was probably the biggest single thing that helped me when I was having that problem. Drying time varies with the tobacco, moisture level, pipe you smoke it in, preference level. I like mine more on the dry side but to each his/her own.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've learned when considering moist tobacco and others that ostentatiously burn, to consider the type of pipe and chamber being smoked. Is it an apple or a prince, with short wide chambers that ignite like bonfires, or a Dublin that funnels fire like a torch? (Some might remember my burned-through churchwarden a couple of moths ago.) And so forth. But I'm learning to match the tobacco with the right pipe style.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I guess under normal circumstances, I don't mind relights all that much... just part of the pipe ritual, around which I love just about everything. Last night though, I cracked open a newly acquired tin of SG Brown Sugar Flake... I don't know what was wrong with me... I was perhaps urgent and distracted for some inane reason... I stupidly didn't give it any drying time which it could have used, and I probably packed all wrong and finally, in the wrong pipe. What a PITA to keep lit for the whole bowl. Anyways, in that light,

CONGRATS to pipesmokingtom for a wonderful accomplishment/experience!!!!

Here, here!!!

:clap:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Great when that happens isn"t it! I average one relight per pipe. Sometimes I think people tamp way too much.

May 4, 2015
Too much and too hard. I tamp very very lightly. Mostly out of fear that I'll crush the ember and/or shove ash down through the chamber that I'll suck in. No good.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
:DDamn, I thought everyone did this. I'm still trying to leave some Dottie in the bottom, you know, emulate that beginner experience factor. Of course, as the great Cosmic says" Leave the pipe in the mouth and stop talking." (something along those lines) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.