PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

Gents, I have a very old pipe that had a threaded bone tenon in the shank that the amber stem screwed onto, but, sadly, due to the rigours of time and non-to-careful handling, it has broken.
Does anyone know where I can get a fix done on this - as close to original as possible? I don't mind a metal threaded tenon - bone would be preferable, but plastic is a non-runner!
Preferably UK or Europe.
Thanks.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
You can get replacements, but the threads vary quite a bit. I have a couple of dozen bone screws, but only one fits a pipe that I own -- and I have several with threaded stems.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Find the tap the corresponds to the thread...then you'll know what you're looking for, or, you could make your own. I imagine if you had a piece of bone the right diameter, you could cut threads on it with a die.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Europe, I can't help you. But here in the States, I would recommend Ronnie Bikacsan at Night Owl Pipeworks
http://www.nightowlpipeworks.com/
He is a wizard when it comes to repair and restoration work. And he's the only one that I know of, who also specializes in meerschaum repair and restoration.
Ronnie did a restoration job on one of my Barling Quaints, including fabricating a new stem for it. It looks like it just came out of the tobacconist's case.
The only other guy I would turn to is Tim West at:
http://www.jhlowe.com/
Tim performed a particularly tricky restoration job for me on a WW2 era 8 Dot that every other professional restorer
(8 in all) passed on. Did a perfect job!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ronni B is great (and slow), but he told me he doesn't fool with threaded stems. Tim West might be your man, however.

K

klause

jason-pipe-case1.jpg

jason-pipe-case2.jpg

Condor, pics as requested - not the best, but gives you an idea of what's happened.
Gents, thanks for all the input - I really appreciate it.
Sablebrush, Tim West is top of the list at the moment - I was looking at his site earlier today- thanks for the recommendation.

K

klause

Sablebrush, yes, that wouldn't be an issue. In fact, it's probably the way to go. This pipe is for me, to use, not for moving on.
At this point, I want it to smoke, as its a waste of a gorgeous pipe to just sit in a case gathering dust.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Good point, sable. Come to think of it, that's what else Ronni said -- that he'd be able to just convert it to a push stem.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Ronni B has a metal tenon and a sort of spring mortise for a push/pull system. It works really well. He's done 4 or 5 for me on old pipes. The metal tenon has a kind of steam punk look. Very period looking for a pipe like yours.
The down side is that Ronni is busy and can take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.