PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have 2 Dunhills but am not expert. The pipe does look nice. Here's a dating guide that may help you. Good luck.
http://www.rdfield.com/Articles/A%20Dunhill%20Pipe%20Dating.htm

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The stem doesnt bother me too too much..

That bowl has been reamed like mad. I personally would pass because I can see it being a burner in my hand....

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for the link pap and yeah ska that bowl has some damage. That is why I posted the topic. I know these patents can fetch a fair sum and thought this might be of good value. Is the bowl fixable at all? I assume topping it will just shorten the bowl.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Look at the last of the pics in the listing - that bowl's been pretty well abused over the years, whether by smokers or by restorers trying to clean it up. It wouldn't surprise me if it's topped off already - notice the heavy blackening at the outside edge at 6-7 o'clock in the last pic. The oversized dot on the stem is annoying, but the replacement stemwork itself looks solid.
It could still be a right decent smoker, but I don't think I'd pay much more than the minimum bid for it myself. And even if you bid on it, I wouldn't get attached to it until I had it in hand and made sure I didn't want to return it.
My guess is that the fact of it being a `38 patent will drive up the price beyond what I'd consider it to be worth. But I'm certainly no Dunhill expert - I just own a couple and watch estate listings occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.