PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm going to be going on a trip in nine months, and it occured to me one of those vest pocket pipes might be handy to have. Does anyone here own one? Here's what appears to be a nice rusticated one on eBay:

s-l500.jpg

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I know what you mean, but you can make almost any pipe fit, especially if you want to:) whats a little tear or an added stitch to accommodate the stem?? It can happen:)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I really like the looks of Savinelli's roley pipes, but have not picked one up.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
2helt9v.jpg

This is mine. It actually smokes very well and I like mine very much. The bowl size is bigger than you'd think. The bowl is oval and for the most part it burns even, but you have to tamp it around a little. Sometimes directing the flame toward the front or back. I bought it for when I'm out or just a quick smoke and its great. I'd recommend it.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I love the look of my Rolex vest pipe but getting the pipe cleaner around the angle is tough. If you don't like nose warmer pipes you probably will not like the vest pipes since both bowls are close to your nose.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen those little pipes for years, but never bought one. They can be had for really modest prices, so I wouldn't spend a lot. My feeling is that many smaller pipes fit pockets just about as well and don't have the potential annoyance of a swivel stem. I have a handsome, hand carved bent billiard of compact proportions that does the trick. I wouldn't recommend a very slender pipe, like the Peterson Belgique, that might break getting bent or dropped. Something of small proportions but of fairly thick construction does best. However, one of these little folding pipes might turn out to be a great take-along companion. I'll be interested to hear from anyone who has and regularly uses one, and believes in them.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I own one and find it really annoying...Better to get a compact 4" pipe that fits neatly in a pocket...

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I had one of a while and found that a good short Cob was a way better option. Plus a cob would hold more tobacco than the one I had.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Never heard or seen a good review of any vest pipe regardless of the maker. Did some research because my B+M has a few in the display case. I agree with Zack that you'd be better off picking up a short "pocket pipe" then wasting money on the vest pipe. If your looking for a small pipe for a quick smoke I would lean towards a Savinelli Minuto or a "Sport" pipe offered by several makers. I'm planning to order a Falcon and cut about an inch out of the stem and a few Bantam bowls as my travel pipe set that I can keep in a small pelican case. I figure 1 stem and 3 bowls should be good for a few days at least.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Inexpensive quality French pocket pipes by EWA are offered at Iwan Ries. These are short and sturdy but don't swivel.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I needed a smaller one for my tobacco/pipe pouch and got a Missouri Meerschaum Tom Sawyer. At 5" it fits my pouch well. It is described as a nose-warmer but is longer than most nose-warmers I believe. It seems to be a good all-around compromise.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Awhile back I purchased an estate Ehrlich shell-style opera pipe with oval bowl from a seller on eBay. The bowl looks rather strange when viewed head-on or from the smoker's perspective, and I was not expecting it to perform especially well. I was wrong.
This the pipe delivers a good smoke, bowl after bowl, and the tobacco burns evenly and thoroughly. Further, I can carry it in my shirt pocket without looking like I have developed a case of unilateral gynecomastia.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I have the Savanelli Roley and enjoy if very much. It's fairly new, so I'm gettin used to its quirky design. I think that if you like the shape of it, get it.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"I own one and find it really annoying...Better to get a compact 4" pipe that fits neatly in a pocket..."
Ditto....Zack's right. I can fit a regular pipe and small pouch in my clothes just fine.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Was tempted to get a vest pocket pipe for a few times as some of them look really neat.

But as a boring straight-pipe person, I would second some of those out-of-fashion opera pipes.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I own (or used to own) one of those vest pocket pipes. It never got used much. I do own several Big Ben Pipos that do get smoked quite often. The Pipo just seems to be a much better design for a vest pocket pipe in my humble opinion.
dsc_2979.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess this is pure psychology, but part of the pleasure of smoking a pipe away from home is that it makes you "feel at home." For that reason, I like to smoke a pipe that I also smoke at home on occasion. So the dual purpose pipe, the compact pipe that travels but also serves at home, has a good familiar feeling. Likewise, if I smoked a lot away from home, I wouldn't want a sub-size pipe for the purpose.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've been thinking of the vest pipe because of the sculpting class. True, I have a one-pipe case, but it seems to me a vest pipe would be easier to use while driving.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'll go with nose warmer route, as those vest pocket pipes just seem a bit gimicky for me. I tend to agree with mso489 on this one because to me the pipe is as important as the tobacco I'm smoking. I would far rather be smoking one of my sturdy little briars while I'm on the road than a pipe that had its compact size as its only saving grace. My King's Cross Featherweight and Szabo Baby Hungarian are sufficiently sturdy and compact for the road and at the same time great little smokers. But hey, each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.