Though I Now Like Englishes, There's Still a Place for Aros :)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I revisited pipe smoking about two years ago and did Aros for about a year and a half; tries Englishes and didn't like them. Got me some Luxury Navy Flake and found out I liked VaPers and flakes in particular; I like having extra steps in the ritual, and is also why cigars now bore me.
In my last TAD order, I intended to get some Altadis Blue Note, recommended to me by a forum member, but smokingpipes was out, so randomly picked Altadis Fox & Hound, solely because it sounded British. Most of you know it's an English mix of Virginia, Burley, Latakia and Perique, and I loved it. No sweetness, just blended tobacco, kind of an 'around the campfire after fishing with your buddies all day' kind of thing.
Today my brother-in-law brought over a few bowls of RLP-6, which I like better than 1-Q, because for me it is less mild and has more flavor. I traded some Fox & Hound and thoroughly enjoyed the Lane's Aro. Though I now prefer VaPers or Englishes, there's definitely still a place in my rotation for a good Aro.
I love this journey. Those folks that say smoking weed is a gateway drug to heroin may be on to something! Smoke a bowl of 1-Q, and you'll be mainlining Irish Flake within six months. As always, your mileage will vary.
Puff on, briar bros!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I roam around a lot on what I'm smoking. Most days I'm happy with VaPers, sometimes I find myself smoking Englishes for a few weeks, then I'll go on an Aro binge. Same things for different companies. You start to get a "feel" for how one blending house "tastes", which ones you feel at home with, some that you generally don't care for.
We are really lucky we aren't limited in choices at the moment.
Your right, it really is revealing itself to be a journey.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I find my tastes change; RLP-6 was my favorite, then 1-Q, the Captain Black Dark became my favorite.
I still love English/Latakia/Perique blends, with SPC's Plum Pudding top of list, followed by Peter Stokkebye No. 17 English Luxury, and the ubiquitous frog's line of canned tobaccos.
To me, flakes, bullseyes, and dog poop ropes taste like crap.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I smoke mostly burley blends, Froggies, and an occasional VA. But, last week I loaded a bowl of Borkum Riff Cherry, that was in my cabinet for a few months. I really enjoyed that bowl, and I'll have another again next month. I might even buy a pouch of my old standard, Sail Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.