PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Here's a meandering from this morning:

I went downstairs to get a soda. My dad is up visiting for the weekend, and his cigarette tray was downstairs near the refrigerator. There lay an 8oz bag of JPS pipe tobacco. Right away, I knew it was a bad idea, seeing as it was being used for cigarettes. I figured, what the heck, and after grabbing my soda, I took the bag of "pipe tobacco" with me. I came upstairs, cleaned my pipe, and packed half a bowl. As I test drew before lighting, a couple of pieces of tobacco got into my mouth. Even STILL, I went on. I lit a match, then the top layer of tobacco, then flicked the match out. The bowl went out. Lit again, got a good light, and the tobacco was so damn dry, that it immediately began to curl. All of it. So, I go downstairs, get more tobacco to pack the bowl nice and tight, and after lighting, I sat there for a minute or two, drawing in, hoping to get a good flavor out of this "pipe tobacco." All I got was disappointment and burn. I may as well been smoking the devil's horns because my mouth still burns.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
It's an RYO labeled as pipe tobacco to circumvent legislation. I saw it in a shop here a while ago and asked the owner about it. He said he never sells it to pipe smokers, only to RYO people.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I bought a gambler brand "pipe tobacco" from a drug store once thinking I was trying something new. Turns out all I was trying was RYO in a pipe. Not a pleasurable experience. Learned my lesson though, no more drug store brands

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
JPS? all I can think of i s a good quality cigarette know as John Player Specials (JPS), their originally from the UK if I remember correctly. Not sure if its the same and I dont think it would taste too good in a pipe, as you found out. Was the package by any chance black and gold?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Yuri: No the package is Red or Cream colored and has nothing to do with the good old John Players in the famous black and gold packages. Or at least not as far as I know. I smoked those John Players on occasion back in the day.
A quick google makes me think those crap bags of JPS are by "Republic Tobacco" somewhere in Illinois. The good old cigarettes are made by Imperial Tobacco (who also made my regular cigarette brand while I lived in Europe: Richmond cigarettes).
Old John Players Specials

jps_king_size.png

Richmond

2796098784_689404361f.jpg

JPS Crud Tobacco sold as pipe tobacco, but not really

jpstobacco-148x148.jpg

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I am glad that I read this thread. My brother smokes RYO "pipe" tobacco. I have been tempted many times to give it a pipe test; however, I think I will give it a pass and leave it for what it is cut for.

Status
Not open for further replies.