PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
For home protection when I get married. Thinking of a Dobie or a German. Any recommendations?

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I love German Shepherds, my aunt had 2 dobies and they were great dogs, but as they got older they started to get aggressive and eventually turned on her, she had to have them put down. :( Someone told me their brains don't stop growing so as they get older they may get aggressive. I haven't done any research on it so I don't know if it's true or not. But definitely something to look up if you're considering getting one.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
A bull mastiff? My cousin has a brindle half pit/mastiff. That dog is pretty intimidating.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I had a German Shepherd named Bo, he was the sweetest dog I've ever had, he was old and died about 9 or 10 years ago. I've wanted another ever since.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
No we'll be living in a large home with backyard. My s/o works from home so we'll always have someone home, hence the need to begin with. :)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Just do your research on temperament and energy levels and what not. Also remember that typically the large the dog, the shorter the life span, unfortunately. When you decide to get a dog, go to a reputable breeder or a rescue. Avoid the pet shops at all costs. Those are mostly puppy mill dogs and will usually have a shit load of problems.

A good dog for protection is a Belgian Mallonwa? I know I butchered that name. Very loyal and friendly, not high energy and pretty smart. They are used as police and search/rescue dogs a lot. My mother in law had one before she passed away for exactly what you are looking for. The best guard dogs are not the in your face kind, at least in my experience.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Get a small dog and a big gun. The dog is the alarm and you're the heavy. A miniature poodle can be loud enough to sound the alarm and smart enough to get out of the way when you cock the shot gun. It's easier to get a clear shot over a small poodle than a Great Dane who is trying to jump in your lap, because he's scared. It also won't get freaked out and accidentally bite you by mistake (happened to 2 people I knew who had large dogs). I've known more than one burglar personally and big dogs are a whole lot easier to distract when you're not home. One guy I knew used to throw a sausage in a spare room and lock the dog inside. If you don't believe me watch a few episodes of "It takes a thief".

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
+10,000 to the Baron. Small dogs are very territorial and will sound the alarm at the slightest noise, that's really all you need a dog to do, alert you to the trouble so you and Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson can thoroughly investigate the disturbance. Big dogs are overrated for protection, unless they are specifically trained to be attack dogs, in which case they can be dangerous to small children they don't know etc. Just my 2 cents. I'll take a small dog every time.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Wish my "landlord" would allow me to get a dog. Been wanting a boston terrier for years.
I agree with baronsamedi, any dog with the right amount of protectiveness will be a good guard dog.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Get one that talks.

the_jetsons_decal_hug__55866.jpg

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
This is an older picture of my pooch. He's a great dog and is very protective when I'm not home. He's not trained as a guard dog, but I trust him to wake me up when needed. Not sure he would go after someone when they were breaking in but if they keep coming after hearing his nasty bark they aren't the brightest, especially at night.
IMG_0355.jpg

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I have two small dogs that can hear a mouse fart in the next county, that and a gun works wonders for us :)

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Having had both breeds you mention I can tell you they can be excitable, not good in a home protection situation. I now have a 110 lb black lab. He is the sweetest dog you would ever meet.
One day a guy on a motorcycle came down the drive, now my drive is 2 1/0's of a mile long, and Jake saw him as he got off. This sweet happy mass of a dog turned in to Cujo before my eyes. Hair on back went up and a single WOOF came out that was a loud very deep base tone I have never heard before. He pushed me out of the way with his body and stood guard at my feet. Now this was no small takes, as I am 6'4" and 260, so he was ready for a fight. The poor guy was just lost but he told me he thought the dog was going to kill him at any moment. Now, Jake never left my side and didn't yip, yap or carry on barking but that dog has a 6" gang of teeth and can run down a squirrel, pretty fast for 110. I know I wouldn't want that black ball of death after me. After the guy left, Jake was back in the grass, upside down waiting for the evil squirrels to return, a big black ball of 'holy crap what a nice day' dog.
Long story short, get a black Lab because remember you are not always around with the Colt Combat Elite 45 hanging at your side.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I recently got an English Bulldog, granted they're expensive and can have health issues, but he has stopped a would be burglar (for his previous owner) once that I know of and is compact but sounds HUGE
German Sheppards are great dogs too
I think it really depends on how prone to burglary/home invasion your house is...
Get a small dog and a big gun
+1

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Dogs are good for warnings, no so much for the actual protection. I have a English Bulldog and her bark sounds like Deaths Calling Card. I have had neighbors run over when her and I play in the back yard to see what was killing me just from her sound. However she is afraid of everything including Celing fans, Tv trays, and those black crickets that come in from outside around here. She barks, I shoot it is a good partnership.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
lol. You guys crack me up. I wanted a Husky since I used to have one as a kid but it turns out they suck as guard dogs because they love everyone. They'd probably help carry the loot out for the bad guy. I am reluctant on the Dobie and German because of their huge size but thats what my sweetie wants. But I know they are excellent guard dogs. I agree that a dog is really an alarm. Both of us are shooters, I've been through extensive weapon training though she's catching up. We've both have an elevated threat level due to an incident. This will be interesting.....

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
@pipeinhand. I've heard Labs are really great and smart dogs. I've never had one. I had a friend with one who used to jump all over me and slobber up my suit (that I used to have to wear back in the day) so i think i made the mistake of not liking the breed because my friend never took the time to train her animal. We will for sure get the right training right from puppy stage.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
a dog is really an alarm
That really depends on how much time, money and training you want to invest. If you want an attack/guard, I'd suggest a german..they're not a huge breed..size of a lab. Big enuff to stop a bad guy though
My dad trained and jumped with them in Korea, he said they were the only breed he'd trust his life with

Status
Not open for further replies.