Thinking about Meerschaum. What should I know?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I'm pretty newly back into pipe smoking and have only had experience with Briars. I really like them. I was thinking about getting a churchwarden from my favorite online store when I saw a Masonic Meerschaum. I've not had any experience with these and I don't know how similar or different it is to by beloved Briar. Do you guys have any advice before I shell out about twice as much as I would for a churchwarden? What are the pros and cons? How are they similar or different?

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Buying a meerschaum? There are many, many dealers in the US who sell them. One certainly does not have to order one from Turkey! My recommendation from my own experience is: if you can afford a Baki, get one! Sold by a very reputable dealer, Deniz (located in Florida). Baki pipes are truly excellent, and worth the coin. Not affiliatted - just a happy, long time customer. http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/bakipipes.html

timely

Jan 23, 2012
MacQueens has a terrible reputation of not answering e-mails or phone calls, along with taking up to 4 months to get your pipe best to wait for someone like P&C to get them in stock and order from them instead. And get your Meerschaum pipe from the States not Turkey. Less hassle.

Aug 14, 2012
Buy Turkish meerschaum but not directly from Turkey. They have different meanings of phrases there, which could frustrate or even enrage you. For instance, when they say "I have 10 in stock," that really means "I will try to have one made next month." When they say "it is lost in transit," it means "we will get around to making it in a few months." And when they say "it will look exactly like the one online," it means "I will have a trainee do the best he can with it." :nana:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
There is a big difference between briar and meerschaum. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Quality briar can offer a more flavorful smoke and are not nearly as delicate as meerschaum. One downside is that briars need rest between smokes, often 3-5 days rest.
Meers can offer a cooler, drier smoke. And they need much less resting (some say they need no resting). This means you can smoke your meer day after day and still get a fine smoke from it. The main downside is that they are delicate. It's not a pipe you want to knock around.
Personally I prefer briars overall, but there are some who swear by meerschaums and would own nothing else. I do feel that having a couple of meers in ones arsenal is a good idea.
I'd strongly recommend you secure your meerschaum from a reputable vendor on this side of the pond.
+1
Good luck - hope you'll let us know what you decide.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I am one of those pipe smokers who only smoke Meerschaums. I do have several that get kmocked around without any problems. Others, I do take special care of. Perhaps I am more of a "conscious smoker" because of this. Just my 2 cents :)

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have been smoking my new Meer for the last week exclusively(once a day) and agree that not much rest is needed. I have to learn to slow my rate of puff as the 1st half of the bowl seems to burn a little hot. It is a clean and tasty smoke I must say. Cleaning is a snap too.
-Jason

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Given all the issues many fellow puffers have had buying a meerschaum pipe directly from foreign vendors, I'd strongly recommend you secure your meerschaum from a reputable vendor on this side of the pond.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/storient-or-altinok-meerschaum
Nuff' said.
I know some people like them, but Timely's right, if one must have a MacQueen, deal with a vendor like P&C, not the company directly as Mac Queen's service and order fulfillment is horrible -- that company is a bad service legend all over the internet's forums. Personally, I'd avoid them completely, but hey their pipes are cute.
As usual, roth hits it squarely on the head. I ordered a MacQ a long time ago. Not a peep outta them other than the order confirm. Several emails - all ignored. Very cool pipes though. I think someone in the Storient Thread said they could start a Meer pipe company and put everyone else completely out out business. I agree 100% and i think he's right. I think one of the reasons I keep going back to Boswell is because of their SUPERIOR customer care. Dan and Julie are outstanding people.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Do not for any reason do business with Altinok, he has a horrible reputation. I would only buy a meer from a US dealer who stands behind every pipe they sell.
Something like this could be a good choice.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/misc/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=115802

Status
Not open for further replies.