PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This afternoon I went to see Peter Jackson's latest film, a documentary about WWI, the War to End All Wars. Commissioned by the BBC and the Imperial War Museum to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of the war, Jackson's brief included the direction that the materials be presented in a novel manner. The result is a masterful.
Scouring the War Museum's 100 hours of surviving archived footage and the BBC's 600 hours of oral history recorded in the '60's and '70's from surviving WWI veterans, Jackson and his cohort of digital artists undertook to restore the selected footage using a variety of image processing tools to pull every bit of image data from their sources, conform frame rates, and then very carefully introduce color. I'm not a fan of colorization, but Jackson makes it work. Jackson brought in lip readers to figure out what the men in the footage were saying and then hired vocal talent to give voice to these mute images. The BBC oral history material provides the bulk of the soundtrack. As a final touch, the film is rendered in stereoscopic 3D.
Rather than try to cover the whole of the conflict, Jackson chose to focus on the experiences of British soldiers in the trenches. The conditions under which they served and the dangers they faced is presented unflinchingly and one wonders how anyone survived, either physically or emotionally.
It is a powerful film, at once dreamlike, unflinching and honest. A must see for anyone interested in this subject. It's been in a very limited release in only a few cities so far, but I see that wide release will begin January 11th.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My Father was a 101st Airborne Paratroopers in WW II. He actively participated in three of the four major battles. He told stories but some stuff he wouldn't talk about. You nailed it Jesse, the conditions and hardships many of our soldiers endured were unimaginable.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I've been waiting to see this one. I saw a brief review of the making of the film and I've been dying to see it since.

Jan 8, 2013
I've really been wanting to see this one. I've mentioned before that there really isn't enough focus on this time in history. Photos and some film from that time are just...well... strange! It was a time of technological growth while at the same time very pre-technological, for lack of a better way to explain it. Threat of gas attacks gave us macabre photos of soldiers with their dogs and horses all wearing odd gas masks, mounted cavalry alongside early armored (tank) cavalry, bolt action rifles alongside machine guns. There's the story of Polish horse cavalry charging German tanks. The first fighter planes... bi-wing and tri-winged craft in which the pilots dropped bombs by hand to the ground below. One of the things you hear most often about is the trench warfare, from what I understand a grueling, bitter, bloody experience. I believe there is so much to tell about this rarely covered war.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
This was quite the generation of men. Anthony, you are right. This was the dawn of change from horses to machines. So much history and so many stories. Unfortunately, many today are not that interested.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I just finished "Hellfire Boys", it deals primarily with the invention and military use of toxic gas agents during WWI. Fascinating read of invention, horror and heroism.
Jesse, thanks for the review. I'm definitely going to see it.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve been looking forward to this. Glad to hear Jackson really did it right.
If you want a deeper dive into WW1 check out Dan Carlin’s podcast series on it “Blueprint for Armageddon”. Spellbinding and well presented.
www.dancarlin.com
Also on YouTube.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
"It's been in a very limited release in only a few cities so far, but I see that wide release will begin January 11th."
That's great to hear. My son and I talked about going to see it tonight, but the nearest showing was several towns away and the timing wasn't good, so we didn't. But I don't remember being this excited to see a movie. The footage in the trailer is just astounding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcgceA64aAI

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It was the war of generals who hadn't learned that the destruction of the enemy was the goal, not the high ground. They really got on Pershing for wanting to get the enemy into the open so they could be killed. Then the armies ran out of fodder and had to listen to what he was advocating. He had to fight his allies to simply keep the AEF intact as a fighting unit.
Dumb leaders got a generation of young men pointlessly killed, removed from the face of the earth. I really want to see that movie! The trench war was pointless and I hope that message is prominent.
As an aside, the Polish horse cavalry charged German armor, with lances no less, more than once, during the 1939 invasion. When you are caught unprepared, you are reduced to using what you have.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The number of times that tens of thousands were killed in the space of hours in assaults wth virtually no chance of success is mind numbing. More the actions of criminals than military leaders.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Peter Jackson's film was shown here in the UK on television on Remembrance Day (Nov 11th). It's widely available here now on DVD.
Jesse's critique nailed it. The film is profoundly moving and respectful. It is a very worthy tribute on this centenary.
Mike

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Glad to hear it's on DVD, Mike. Hopefully, it will show up on Netflix soon. Here in the USA, it was shown in theaters on only two days -- Veterans Day and yesterday. I had planned to go see it, but when I arrived at the theater at 4pm on a Thursday, a time when the theaters are usually empty and tickets discounted, I found that the movie was sold out. Earlier that day, the theater added a second screen at that same 4pm start time and had sold that out as well an hour earlier. It seems that there was a great deal of last minute publicity that generated a lot of interest.
I almost bought the $15 ticket the evening before but decided to just wait and buy then at the theater to save the convenience charges and maybe get a matinee discount. Oh well. While it would've been better to see it on the big screen, it'll still look good on my large TV at home.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
You can also watch it on the internet for free, with no hokey signing up https://ffmovies.ru/film/they-shall-not-grow-old.7wr56/ljv0lm

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely be watching this one.

I sometimes wonder if my 1899 BBB (acquired in Germany) saw action in that war.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Chilly, what page is that a link to? Has anyone used it? Any issues? Is it a torrent type site? Germany is very strict about these things so I must be cautious.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very smart not to go to a website that specializes in intellectual property theft and the distribution of malware, which describes the vast majority of such sites. Besides, this film should be seen on a big screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.