PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Or cigar ... or pipe cigar, or whatever I am confused. I was gifted this by a friend, who seems to know the owner of this Berca venture. It is actually made in Romania, and since I can't pass on something made in Romania, I said thank you and that I would give it a try. Well, what do you use this for? I tried some Drum cigarette rolling tobacco, and it doesn't work that fine. Quite messy since the rolling tobacco cut is so thin and loose. Then I tried some squadron leader in it, and it worked pretty well. I tasted fine too, no ash dropping from it ... it's kind of like a cigar experience with pipe tobacco in it. It gives you a roughly 20-30 min smoke, depending on how fast you are tempted to smoke this. It comes with its own tamper and it fits a 9 mm filter too.
Downside: well ... it's not quite like a cigar, because a cigar stays lit a good 3-5 minutes without puffing it, unlike this baby that goes out faster than a pipe. You are tempted to smoke it quite on an alarming pace, unless you don't mind all the relights (which work fine with an angled pipe butane lighter).Non the less, no matter how slow you are going to smoke this it gets terribly hot. In fact i can see a light ring shaping on the briar 1/3 away from the loading end, so ... I suspect this may crack. Also, the stain gave it a nasty smell, slight off taste too, the first couple of smokes.
So ...Mr Berca, if you are part of this forum and are seeing this, this may be something you may want to keep in mind.
Any you guys had experience with this, or any other cigarish pipes similar to this?
20181130-191544.jpg

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Chris Morgan makes the Briar Cigar, this was admittedly an attempt at reverse engineering his design. Chris holds a US patent for his design. There have been some issues, but moving on from that, I have heard only negatives about the Berca version. The Briar Cigar works better but is also a very niche product. It works for what it was designed for. I do not have one and cannot speak from personal experience.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
crashthegrey be sure I wouldn't have paid EUR 85 for what Berca is asking for his product on the official website. Now that I have given it a try I definitely wouldn't pay that sum. Not that I have a problem with the niche, but for EUR 85 one would expect so much more finer detail and briar quality.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
madox07 that seems to be the consensus on his work. But from what I hear, he thinks he is on top of the world. Heh. I feel bad that the beloved Romanian made product is now what you hoped. Best of luck on the next find.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Cortez that looks much better made than what I have. Prices are not that far apart either ..
crashthegrey Unfortunately Romania of the past two decades has distinguished itself with not so fine things, and copycat type of activities are not an exception. It pains me, as in the past we have given the world quite some fine inventions, artists, and so on ... And at the end of the day, the Berca guy did nothing illegal, as the cigar pipe is not patented in Europe, but if you are going to steal one's idea at least do your best to offer a quality product.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Event Missouri Meerschaum made those kind of shape. It rising trend in Indonesia also :)

What confusing me is how do we lit those tobacco near the stem?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
artificialme the chamber doesn't go as close to the stem as you might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.