PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Yesterday I went to my local sort of B&M (I say sort of because it seems to be going the way of a semi-tobacco shop/semi-headshop) and I was disgusted to see a large selection of what at first looked like tobacco pipe; however, upon closer inspection these pipes are in no way made for tobacco. First, they were made out of what appeared to be some kind of ceramic material, second the bowls were metal, third they smoking bowl was only about a half inch deep, and finally they came with a built in screen. It is clear these are made to look like tobacco pipes while in reality they are for smoking marijuana.
The reason this bothers me so much is because it would appear that now people will be smoking hippie weed out of a device that to the layman will look like a traditional pipe. The last thing I want if for people to associate my hobby with an illegal activity. We all know that we have a tough enough fight with just being consumers of tobacco. We do not need people lumping us in with pot smokers.
I am going to have to stop giving my business to this local B&M and instead move to online shopping only. Well actually, I will be giving my "local" business to the tobacco shops in the bigger cities I visit. This is good news for B&M's in the Portland, OR metro area.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
A lot of folks are catering to the pot smokers now. It has become more socially acceptable. Those guys are only trying to make a living in an environment hostile to their existence.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Those who cherish their ability to smoke pipe tobacco, especially when it's under attack by a nanny state, ought to think twice before attacking someone else's pipeweed of choice.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
As states decriminalize pot (I live in one of those states), there's bound to be some confusion anyway. I was at my local B&M last week when two young guys came in, looked around for a little while, and then asked the proprietor if he sold scales... :lol:

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I am not attacking those who smoke marijuana, I was mostly commenting on the fact that I do not like pot pipes resembling tobacco pipes. I have never been bothered by the store I am referring to selling glass pipes, but for whatever reason, it drives me crazy to have the store carry these pipes.
By the way, hippie weed was not meant to be a pejorative term, was just trying to keep from typing pot or marijuana repeatedly. Personally I like the sound of hippie weed.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
It always seems I'm finding myself posting in a thread I probably shouldn't. Here's my two cents.. I don't smoke pot but routinely get asked to make pipes for it. Doesn't bother me at all what other people choose to smoke in them. It's flattering that they like my designs. Telling them what to smoke in something they pay for is not included in my services. They know my opinions on it. But that's why I don't smoke it, not why they shouldn't.
I do agree with witholding business from a b&m for being part of the problem. Myself included. It's how you vote, its what your responsible for. Your effect on the "problem/solution". If your convictions are that you don't want to be a part of it or give any business to them because you disagree, I would actually applaud you as I respect you standing for what you believe. I do not challenge you to defend or explain your position. I would however be the first to note that pot smokers are not hippies, or dirty criminals. They are just people that engage in smoking pot.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
My local B&M sells these as well, although their "pipes" or bowls as its commonly referred to in the marijuana community, are mainly glass. They don't like selling them, but ya gotta cater to everyone in order to stay afloat.
-Frank

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I understand your frustration JN, I also understand the B&M as well, being a small business owner. I dont eant folks looking at my pipe thinking I am smoking dope either. I dont care who smokes dope I just dont want to be lumped with them in the general public.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Once again, I want to make sure that it is understood that I did not intend for my use of the word hippie weed to be negative. I was trying to be creative. After rereading my original post I realize that I could have chosen my words better. I apologize for any misunderstanding.
I will add that I was not trying to say that I look down upon people who smoke pot. I do not think of them as dirty, hippies or criminals. I enjoy the creative work of people like, Adam Carolla, Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silverman, Joe Rogan, etc. I definitely vote for them with my dollars.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I know what you mean jnyder. I have nothing against pot either, but I was put off when I went into what I thought was a new pipe shop (had a traditional pipe as their logo) only to find out that it was a head shop. It sends mixed messages and only makes people raise their eyebrows when you're outside smoking a tobacco pipe.

Aug 14, 2012
Now they are after weed. In a few years weed will be legal in many places, and they will be after tobacco. Or is that happening already?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I think you'd have to be pretty dense not to know the difference between a pot pipe and a briar. Or maybe because I grew up in the '60's?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Marijuana has been legalized in Washington State and tobacco is so vilified that I think some must be disguising their tobacco pipes to look like pot pipes.
The big concern I have about mixing the B&M's is that we will end up with people working in pipe stores who know nothing about tobacco.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I too occasionally get stares, as I charge through the crowd pipe clenched. But as soon as they get a wiff of my smouldering Latakia, they move on. LOL. I pipe for myself, not for others. As long as its legal and I'm not smoking where I'm not supposed to, the general public can go to hell as far as my pipe is concerned.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
JN -

The type of "tobacco" shops you described are all over Washington. A true class act is hard to find.
I haven't been to Rich's Cigar Store in Portland, but they have a great looking website, you might give that a try and then let us know what you think.
Good Luck!

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
The pipes you are referring to may be Wends pipes. Not sure that they are for weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.