PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I have been accused of liking some pretty strange pipes, but these pipes that were released today by scandpipes are even way out there by my standards. Needless to say, I don't own them, but thought I would post them for all to comment on. I do admire the artistry, but . . . wow.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice find Peck.
The carving technique is excellent and one could easily argue that these are a form of usable art. In fact, I could see these in an art gallery.
But I would have zero interest in owning one as an actual pipe to smoke.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
They are artistic for sure. I don't want to sound insulting to the artists but if I saw these ate a flea market or antique shop for a few dollars I would probably buy it to set on my shelf but with no intention of ever smoking it. But $1600???

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
At least you can see $1600.00 worth of craftsmanship and time in these pipes. Many times, you're asked to pay $1600.00 for a stamp on the bottom of a shank! Once a carver achieves a certain status, their pipes can sometimes command prices that outstretch their level of relative effort.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Hey, the first pipe is a natural for tobacco reviewers - you can smoke a bowl and write your review, all with the same implement!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
WOW!!! Absolutely amazing. I would love to own either pipe, but I would never smoke them if I did.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Imagination and creativity lives! Now this is real "thinking out of the bowl."

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I would smoke the zipper pipe as a novelty, but not for $1,600. The dollar pipe I would not pay $16 for - yuck. Nicely carved though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You couldn't pay me 1600.00 to smoke those butt ugly abominations. Sorry but I want my pipe to look like a pipe, those hurt my eyes just looking at them. Peck, did you eat some mushrooms before looking at those? LOLOLOL
I am all for innovation and artistic impressions, but those are just plain weird looking. The zipper one at least looks like a horn of some kind.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You probably noticed that I'm a classic shape guy all the way, but those two are oddly appealing. But like Peck said, not $1,600 appealing...
I see they are from Russian carver, Alexey Kharlamov. The carving details are really incredible. I would be very unhappy with myself if I broke off that pencil tip....
http://www.scandpipes.com/group.asp?group=459

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
If that zipper pipe is carved out of a single piece of briar the dude is a certified genius. But it belongs in an art gallery, not anyone's pipe rack! Thanks for posting the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.