Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

The Worst of Pipe youTube

(47 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are lots of good pipe youTube instructions on many useful subjects for both a pipe beginner and more experienced smokers. So I don't dismiss the worthy work of people who produce these for at least no direct cost to the viewer "students." All respect to the hard-working souls. But lets face it, there are a world of really awful videos, or videos with some worthwhile information but done with almost rude indifference. Please, please don't post links. (You can if you want, but I for one won't watch them.) This thread is for telling about some of the worst characteristics of bad youTube videos on pipes. Here's my list of no-no's or please-don'ts.

1. No script, no rehearsal, no plan, no set-up. Let it all happen, while you "um" and "er" and dig around for the props. A five minute video with thirty seconds of content.

2. Mr. Personality, lots of jokes and conversation, and forgetting what the subject was, asides, digressions, and dubious assertions.

3. Weird backgrounds. Is this your childhood bedroom? Is that an exercise bicycle and a hula hoop in the background? A Mickey Mouse lamp from third grade? Where am I?

4. Okay, you have some really eye-catching and conspicuous (expensive!) tattoos, but maybe better wear long sleeves and keep the focus on your subject?

5. Weird pauses to snuffle, snort, belch, sigh, squeak your chair, shuffle your props, suck on your pipe and blow smoke rings. Gurgle.

Just add your own items to the list. Please no links -- please, please, please.

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Poor lighting! Definitely not unique to the pipe community, but a symptom of You-tubing in general. There are a few that front and side light correctly, but it is rare.

Neal
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nagativity towards blends or pipe brands or even methods/techniques. I've seen a lot of videos where the person slams one thing or another. I'm never interested in the slamming of products and it just makes me not want to watch. Tell me what you like about this or that, not so much what you don't like. Negativity turns me off.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

I have to disagree with the complaints. If people choose YouTube as a way of sharing their interests, who are we to criticize. Some channels are done rather professionally, others quite the opposite. Not everyone has the funds or skills to make great videos - but at least they are participating in a community. No need to shame or chase them away. Different strokes for different folks. Don’t like the content? Then don’t consume it. Piping has a bit of snobbery to it, which I don’t support. Do what makes you happy!

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When you're getting something for free, you really don't have much grounds for complaining its not good enough.

Let them be and vote with your mouse clicks.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried to give credit to the effort. And frankly, I hope, probably vainly, that listing a few oft-made mistakes might make some video producers organize themselves a little better. You can start with an outline. You can clean up the background (a little anyway). As pointed out, you can consider the lighting. Many do a fine job with spare resources, which is kind of inspiring. And running through the material a few times is easy, can be fun, and makes a world of difference. This cranky thread could be truly helpful to some. Constructive criticism intended, with a dash of humor.

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried to give credit to the effort. And frankly, I hope, probably vainly, that listing a few oft-made mistakes might make some video producers organize themselves a little better.

I agree! I completely understand your original intention.

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I agree, but I also agree that constructive criticism can be helpful when sought. So I agree with all of the observations made above and would also add that many of these videos are overly long with unstructured ramblings about vague stuff that has little to do with what is supposedly being presented, offer a pile of misinformation or outright ignorance on their topic, etc. But it's also true that most of these videos are vanity projects, done for the personal amusement of the perpetrator, and not really to benefit anyone else, so critiques are essentially useless.

And there are a few, a very few, videos that are sparkling gems, glittering in a field of fertilizer.

Not nearly enough, however, so I've voted with my mouse clicks and avoid them like the plague.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^Constructive criticism^^. Mso is right. We should all be able to handle a little criticism, the goal of which is improvement. He's not suggesting anything outlandish, just saying put some thought into what you are doing to provide a better product. Some people would see the sense of it and adjust accordingly, others would chose to be offended rather than admit that they could have done a better job.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I have time to set down and watch something, I am not going to waste my time on poorly edited pieces of homemade crap that fills the sewer system we know as Youtube. There are so many awesome movies, series, shows, with any of them from the entire history of movies at our fingertips. All I have to do is think of a movie, and within a minute, I can be watching it. Why the Hell would I waste even a friggin' minute on watching something as crappy as a homemade video?
    I'm always trying to figure out the appeal to my wife of watching pet videos on Youtube. And, hearing about guys watching other guys smoke a pipe on there is just as baffling to me. If you had of told me that one day we would get all of media at our beckoning command, and people will chose to watch human refuse, I wouldn't believe it.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In many fields, the least propitious seemingly untalented beginner can evolve into among the best, both with encouragement and a bit of challenge. That said, the art of teaching (which many youTube videos attempt) is a rare and beautiful thing. Few of us have that gift, and the people who have it, simply glow. I can teach if I work very hard, but I have been close to people who are natural talents. It's part of their DNA.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I totally understand constructive criticism, but I also vote with clicks. I haven't watched a YouTube pipe video in quite a while, because I come here and offer my cents.

I've been told I have a face for long distance radio, so I'm in no position to even give any criticism since it is hard to be the Man in the Arena.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One stumble for beginners is to think that longer is better. If you can do an informative youTube in 45 or 180 seconds, that is much better than the same material stretched to four, five, or eight minutes. Brevity is the soul of wit, but also of information.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's spring and the daffodils are in bloom. Which causes me to remember Narcissus. Perhaps youtube (and internet/social media) may be the ultimate trap for the narcissist. Better than a pool of water by far.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 5 months ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most have some narcissus to them. I've always noticed that some intensely shy people who fear conversation, when asked to speak at the microphone, are first almost numb with silence, but once they get rolling, they have a hard time stopping.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I stop watching the ones that are done with no research into the topic being presented. To hold up blend of tobacco and say you have no idea what goes into the blend is ludicrous when its so easy to go to tobaccoreviews.com and do a search. The same when discussing estate pipes and talking about the logo on the stem or the stamping and not knowing who made it. There are websites that while not all inclusive, does a good job it identifying most pipes.

I'm going to have to agree with MSO about this.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 5 months ago #
  18. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Editing, editing, editing. Why take 12 minutes for a subject that can be covered in two? There are numerous reasons, some of which covered above.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  19. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The ones with poor sound quality drive me batty. I hate it when you can't hear the speaker on the video. There are a number of good videos on pipes and pipe smoking just like there are bad ones. Subscribe to those you like and don't to those you don't like.

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Totally agree with the initial post. Even if you're shooting a home-video with your iPhone 3 you can certainly find a clean background without much trouble. Heck, any concrete wall will do.

I acknowledge the human need to communicate what's on someone's mind, and if they're lampooning some political figure, or talking about the latest silly thing their cat just did, I don't much care if they have a life-size Buttercup Toy behind them. If what they're communicating is an opinion, let them be.

My problem is when they're trying to communicate knowledge. That's when planning, setting, lighting... in a word, QUALITY is paramount. All the more since their audience is beginners: people who have no clue and desire and require information that is true, accurate, precise, and easy to grasp. When a video doesn't deliver on that it becomes a frustrating watching experience and an exercise in the bloke with cataracts leading the blind. This is a major problem not just for piping videos: I've seen it done with photography and then you end up with watchers who 'learned' on Youtube and can't tell the difference between Rembrandt and Open Loop, let alone light a portrait to save their own lives.

When I taught the physical geography labs, I had to warn my students about Youtube videos 'teaching' viewers geographical skills, such as isolines tracing. Certainly, there are very good videos out there, but the untrained cannot tell the wheat from the chaff, and it's quite easy they will pick up bad habits instead of good ones just by unknowingly choosing a poor video.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 5 months ago #
  21. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Even a poor video is made better with...pipe babies. Look what they did for cars and motorcycles. We need more pipe babies!

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 5 months ago #
  22. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

I agree with mso's points and find them educative.
    If I were to start making piping videos on youtube I would appreciate this kind of concrete advice.

Mumblers can also be a problem. I want to hear what they say.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, not that I would never watch a youtube of any sorts... but watching one that never gets negative, is always positive, and blah blah blah... sounds like Mr. Rogers with a pipe. What the hell kind of fun is that? If this is all seen as the model of perfect youtube entertainment, then leave me out (don't worry, I was out at the start). Damn, when did we all lose our balls and senses of humor? This all sounds like politically correct purgatory to me.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't watch any of them, if that option was around when I started smoking a pipe I never would have lasted. It's smoking a pipe FFS. The biggest problem for new smokers is information overload leading to overthinking in my opinion. The only informative videos on YouTube that I can watch are Uncle Rob's

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSfjD7o1CQZXzdAy56c8kg

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

I wish that pipe tobacco reviewers wouldn't read me the description printed on the tin.

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m curious... how is watching a video review superior in any way to just reading Jim’s reviews?

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I gave up on Youtube when some person interviewed me at the Chicago Pipe show a few years ago and you could see the expression of 'When does the bar open' in my face. Outside a fart lighting videos I have never found much of value on Youtube!

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

If I’m watching a blend review, and the reviewer doesn’t retrohale, video over.

That’s just me. I know a lot of you don’t retrohale, and that’s cool, but for me it’s hard to imagine getting a “3D” grasp of a blend’s flavor and nuance without retrohaling.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 5 months ago #
  29. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually enjoy watching a little bit of an awful P&T You Tube. They can be hilarious and a nice break from the grind.

Now, if you want to be entertained and informed, watch one of Mike Glukkler's Briar Blues You Tube presentations. Mike keeps them short, informative, offers a little humor and best of all, I trust the host to know what the heck he's talking about. Mike also gets terrific knowledgeable guests that he does Q&A with and I learn a lot while being entertained at the same time.

Want to learn something about a particular part of our hobby? Pick one - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUFWS40j6P7Jm0vQk_Cl4FxQ

And no, this is not a paid advertisement but it should be.

Pipestud
    Posted 5 months ago #
  30. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

There's one guy who's like the Bob Ross of pipes - very relaxing and also kind of hilarious.

A couple things not mentioned yet: Many, if not most, new pipe smokers didn't grow up around it. I know I've personally seen a grand total of 3 people pack a pipe in my life. Imagine trying to figure out how to load and smoke a pipe properly just from reading about it. Need something for those visual learners, especially with something so tactile. (I've personally never found anything very helpful on youtube, but that's another matter.) Another thing is that a lot of people don't have anybody to smoke with. There's a whole generation of kids whose babysitter, etc. was youtube, and a lot of the videos I've tried to watch seem to be set up as some kind of weird virtual social club for lonely pipe smokers. Sad, but true. Youtube is also where a lot of younger people learn how to do anything practical. Many of my (college-age) students wouldn't be able to change a lightbulb or finger a guitar chord without youtube.

All reasons to hope for improvement in the quality of youtube videos on pipe smokin.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's one guy who's like the Bob Ross of pipes - very relaxing and also kind of hilarious.

Now I'm curious. Who's that?

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

Oh man, I'm hesitant to name him lest he see this thread. He seems like a sensitive soul.

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's on you tube for the world to see and you're hesitant to name him?

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do Agree on Mso489's point, Must confess I'm quite actively contributing and taking part in Y T Pipe community daily life'nonetheless I don't do any videos,only commenting and supporting, but lately when watching some of the YTPC content creators uploadings I often find myself asking don't You have anything else to do or better way to spending Your time,, many people seem to like talking & hearing themselves..just for sake of doing that,,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 5 months ago #
  35. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Paul, some Youtubers do that for a living. Hence their plugs at the beginning and end (and sometimes the middle) of their videos for you to subscribe. After a certain number of subscribers Google pays them (or used to). Many Youtubers are also on Patreon, GoFundMe, and other donation platforms.

Posted 5 months ago #
  36. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I confess I like some of the people who don't do a good job, as interesting characters or seemingly interesting people. That's why I think a few might be nudged toward better work. Just organizing the thoughts and thereby shortening the video could reveal some pretty telegenic performers. We've all been propagandized that we need only show our pretty faces and everyone will love us, whereas if we do a little work, we can up our game considerably. Expressing scorn is of no interest to me. Prompting some effort would be good.

Posted 5 months ago #
  37. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

When I first started I looked on YouTube a lot for info on different cuts to how certain tobaccos are cured and found a lot of it very helpful, I mainly now follow 4 members of the YTPC 2 fellow Brits a yank and a German and I enjoy hearing other people speak about and review different blends and hear how things are different in their country from the foreign YouTubers.
    I have definitely seen some who weren't my cup of tea but I enjoy the members of the YTPC I follow and one of them does a live stream where he smokes and talks about blends, pipes and a myriad of different topics, those watching can interact through live chat and you get about 20-40 people watching so it has the feel of a virtual international pipe club meet.
    Now I'm guessing a proper pipe club is better for many reasons but unfortunately I don't live near a pipe club and my health can be up & down so I really enjoy the option of interacting with other pipe smokers from the comfort of my own home whether that be here in forum land or on YouTube.

Chris

Posted 5 months ago #
  38. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

smudger', 'sounds like you've found a good niche or two online. When you find the right sites, the only problem is overdoing it, like me with my number of posts!

Posted 5 months ago #
  39. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my opinion there is only one channel worth watching and I look forward to his videos. Without mentioning his channel I will say that he has structure and great quality videos that have substance and I really enjoy his humor. His videos can be long at times but it’s never because he’s stumbling around thinking of what to talk about, it’s more because he has a lot a good information to talk about and he’s probably the most down to earth dude in the YouTube community.

Posted 5 months ago #
  40. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Hawky456, I suspect I know of whom You're talking about..

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Come on guys, give a hint.

Posted 5 months ago #
  42. retrogrouch

retrogrouch

Login to Send PM

Your good friend Bradley, perhaps?

Posted 5 months ago #
  43. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been a part of the YouTube Pipe Community for 7 years now. It's one thing to read how to pack and light a pipe etc., but it's another thing to watch someone demonstrate it. There are a lot of visual learners out there. Now I will admit that there are plenty of YouTubers that don't do a good job with their video's, and I'll admit I have some terrible videos posted still, but 99% of us are just doing it for fun and a way to interact with other pipe smokers. We don't have fancy computers and camera's and special editing software etc. Most of us are just using a basic digital camera, simple camcorder or our phones. This is something we're doing for fun, and not to make money.

Over the years I've hosted multiple meet ups and have established real friendships with some other YouTubers. The YTPC is more than just instructional video's and tobacco reviews. For most of us it's like chatting on a forum; however, we do our conversing through the form of video and then respond back and forth in the comments section or with a video response. That's why you'll see many of us just rambling about basic life etc. and not all pipes and tobacco related subjects.

I get that not everyone is interested in our community, but it's a great way to learn how to smoke a pipe for beginners, and it's great for learning new tricks and tips for those of us that have been doing it for a while. It's also a great way to interact with other pipe smokers in a society where there are few lounges that will allow pipe smoking and in general there aren't very many of us around.

For those that speak negatively about the YTPC I challenge you to make a video yourself. Let's see how you do with your production (sound, lighting, background, props, editing, etc.). We're not professionals, it's a hobby and it's not as easy as it looks. Also if you think you can correctly teach someone how to light a pipe or pack a pipe in less than one minute I'd like to see it. When I've been to cigar/pipe lounges and have talked with new pipe smokers and they're asking for tips on how to light or pack a pipe; it takes longer than a minute to effectively demonstrate that to someone. So again, if you think you can do better; please do so! The YTPC welcomes anyone and everyone, and we always appreciate someone that can teach us new or better methods in our hobby or that can provide us with that perfect insight as to why blend A is so much better than blend B.

Posted 5 months ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Youtubers who constantly pause to puff on their pipes
    really bug me. I click on videos to learn something about
    pipe smoking DAMMIT! - not to watch someone doing it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  45. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Very interesting topic and thoughts.

Steve ( pipestud ) Thank You for the very kind words.

Metalheadcigarguy - great content and I agree with his thoughts.

MSO - a good critique is always welcome! However, not just with a mouse click. Leave a comment. Make suggestions. Any You Tuber that is not willing to get better / improve, or is not willing to read, learn, and listen, should get off YT.

Short videos are NOT what YT prefers, for anyone trying to generate some residual income. Watch time is what offers YT the most options for running their ( very tedious and annoying ) adds. The number of subscribers only matters once one hits the threshold in which YT allows for monitization, which IF your subject matter is only pipes, tobacco, and cigars is NOT possible. Adsense does not allow these topics ( and others ) to allow the presenter to make a penny. Those that do stick to the 3 topics ( pipes, tobacco and cigars ) are doing it due to our love of the life style / hobby. Not to make money.

Watching You Tube offers you a multitude of choices. Who and what you select is up to you. If you don't enjoy a specific channel or presenter, only a mouse click to find one you do.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 5 months ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

Biggest no-no for me is not giving a final rating out of 10! So your channel has thirty reviews and I still have no idea how each tobacco compares to the others. Describing of the different flavours in twenty different adjectives is also misleading without actually stating if it is any good and why it is good. In short - get to the point.

Posted 5 months ago #
  47. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

metalheadycigarguy - Everything you said is true. Could I do a YT video if I wanted to and make it look and sound good? Yes, but I was trained in video starting back in the mid-70s (I also shot 16mm mopic film for several years.)

My complaint - which I did post in the comment section - is that the YTuber needed to do some basic research before turning on the camera. If you talking about something which viewers can easily google themselves and/or tobacco blends which can be found on tobaccoreviews.com, then you should at least make an effort to get the information correct.

Telling viewers you have no idea what is in a blend when you can easily read the description on the tin or on-line is just lazy.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lawdawg, loborx, username, doug535, mso489, jaytex969, milehighpiper, jeff540, the85boro, haparnold, cigrmaster, disinformatique, kylef