PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2011
It just occured to me that pipes are a truly international thing.

My collection only has 5 pipes but they are all from different places.

A cheapy from the Ukraine, Drugstore brand from here or probably China, Astley from the UK, Imp meer from Turkey and an Italian Mario Grandi from the USA. And I'm only starting out !
And if you think about some of the estate pipes and the lives they've had it gets even more interesting. Who knows how many times around the world that old pipe has been and in who's pocket ?
Just a thought, I'll go now.

Jul 15, 2011
Most of my collection consists of estate pipes that I have scrubbed clean and buffed myself. Some of them have had some very interesting stories to tell: the flaws in the briar, the ghosts of flavors that I cant get out, but the even cooler part is what it looks like all waxed and shiny, stem cleaned and spotless, and ready to smoke again. Your observation is an optimistic one to be sure!

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, very good point. When I was smoking my Stanwell Majestic the other day, I was thinking about where it was made, my neighbour (RIP) that smoked it many o' times, and now it's in my hands. Good post.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I have pondered the life of my estates as well. I have a couple from pre WWII that I would love to have a history on.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I have 8 countries in my collection and one nameless, which could be anything ;-)
Considering my oldest pipe is from 1947-1948, I do wonder what stories they could tell.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I like your take on this. Smoking a good (or even decent) Danish pipe can change the way you think about the world. I never thought about how my pipe collection represents all these different parts/people of the world:
You can find out a lot about a country just by smoking a pipe from that country. A lot of my Italian pipes are big, rustic and smoke like a dream (very much in tune with the easy Italian lifestyle). My Danish pipes are all beautifully designed, yet reserved, and are all highly functioning smoking machines. They are more quiet in their design, yet very elegant (much like the Danes). My English pipes are very classic and reserved and my Petersons all have a story to tell (very Irish). I even have a Kiko bulldog with a meer insert that I like to smoke in the summer, when it gets hot outside, which always make me think, "Oh yeah, that's why the meer insert is in there. It would be super hot in Tanzania, where these were made," and that makes me think of the people of Africa and their resilience, many of whom live in extreme conditions, yet still find time to enjoy life and the good things in it, like a nice pipe smoke.
Great Thread. Thanks for the perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.