The Whale- Who Says You Can't Go Back...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
You guys who have been patiently watching my progress with pipemaking since last year saw a design a few months ago I called the whale- it had incredible grain but was a bit on the pudgy side and the shaping a little soft. I've been hauling this thing around and looking at it every time I walked in the shop, and this week, I finally grabbed it, threw it on the shaping wheel and cut off everything that bothered me...Finished it with a partial sandblast that I sanded back and finished with a contrast stain. This one's going to Nashville...
First pic- The whale after a major revision...

2gx2rnk.jpg

Second pic- The original whale...

2rrnlar.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
WOW!!! Seriously man, for those of us with kids living on the West Coast (and therefore unable to travel to exotic places like Nashville for pipe shows) you need to get some of those things for sale out here.
lol

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
My humble and uneducated opinion: The all-over grain of the original was beautiful, but the shape struck me as "cartoonish". The updated version kept the best part of the smooth grain and added a ton of interest to the shank and shank/bowl junction. What was, to me, cartoonish is now edgy and sinewy. I like!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Love the revised version. It is bold and at the same time beautiful, with wonderful grain.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys...it's interesting how the shaping improves after 50 or 60 pipes....This is the only pipe I liked enough out of my early ones that didn't sell to go in and rework.....mainly because although the shaping wasn't great, the grain was really nice and the drilling happened to be spot on- just a matter of recutting from there....

May 31, 2012
Absolutely stunning!
A jawdropper fersure.
Love the partial blast and the contrast stain looks great.
It would fit perfect in Richard Friedman's "sea creature" collection!

https://plus.google.com/photos/116306552423646355472/albums/5657479661467175441?banner=pwa&authkey=CK2tgP7piMvXFQ
Nice work Zack,

thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.