PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
And a package from my favorite vendor arrived. Among other goodies, these three tobaccos.
I was gifted a sample of Bagpiper's Dream by papipeguy a few weeks back - and I immediately knew I'd be smoking lots of it - definitely my type of aromatic. The other two tobaccos are new to me. Loaded up my BC bulldog with some of the Semois. It is an interesting tobacco. Need to smoke a few more bowls before I decide how much I like it.
I'm anticipating a Peterson Kinsale's arrival tomorrow, and I think I'll try the Squadron Leader in it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Let us know how you like the Semois. I love burley and burley blends in general, but I understand this

is a very different leaf. It's a bit to spend on sampling a tobacco, so I'd like to know how others react.

So far, the reactions have been polarized. Some feel it is a unique and distinctive tobacco, and others

don't like it at all. Of course, many don't like burley at all, so it's difficult to sort it out.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Nice assortment. That ought to keep you busy while you dig through reviews, add to your wish list and await the next shipment. Every time I see UPS pass by I think a long lost backorder is coming to my door.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
the Semois is completely different from anything I've smoked. I think all the reviews I've read are spot on. The "tin" note is of hay - perhaps even a barnyard - but in a good way. Very dry. Lights easily and stays lit. Very full flavor, with a good amount of nicotine - but not a nicotine bomb. I can't really compare the smoke to anything, as I don't think there's anything quite like it. I need to have a few more bowls before I decide how much I like it.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Is the Semois available in US?
Yes, I purchased it from one of our sponsoring vendors (smokingpipes dot com). I believe it's also available from other vendors in the US.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Yes. The pipe guys carry it.
Enjoy! I've wanted to try Squadron Leader, but I think Skiff is more my style. It's on my short list.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
For those of you interested in the Semois, there's a Youtube video of an interview with Vincent Manil and how he makes his tobacco. He is truly an artisan. I must admit that I didn't understand most of the video, as it's in French - a language I don't speak. But it's worth watching - as you can see the types of classic machinery used. Words aren't important, you get the idea.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
- perhaps even a barnyard - but in a good way.
That's how I would describe it.
Somewhat like sniffing the foot of a younger, lighter cigar.
Glad I tried it but won't be ordering it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love the hay stuff! I will definately give that Semois a go! Of course I have liked or better, every tobacco I have ever tried except that evil 1792 flake stuff. (Lord help me, that stuff burned!)
Lol

Jan 8, 2013
Bagpipers Dream is now a permanent part of my rotation as well now. I absolutely love that stuff. It's one I would definitely order in bulk if it was offered, but I understand it is not. So the tins will have to do. I've been thinking about trying semois for a while now.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
I had not heard of Semois before, but after reading this thread it's certainly going on my to smoke list.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
+ 1 on the Bagpipers Dream. I'm not an aro guy, but a sample from John got me thinking I would definitely keep a tin of this around for that rare occasion when I have a sweet tooth. You can still taste tobacco in this, that's the part that got me. It's not really a cloying sweet, but well integrated into the leaf. Very nicely done.
I would say that in general I am not an aromatic smoker. That isn't completely true, as I do enjoy some very mild aros. Mac-Baren Mixture Flake (which is very mildly topped) is a really nice smoke, and like Bagpiper's Dream - you can still taste the tobacco, especially as you get to half-way down the bowl.
But I would not enjoy stronger aromatics, or aromatics that are like eating a dessert.
I find Bagpiper's Dream to be in another class of aromatics, though I'm sure others would argue that notion. Yes, it does have a casing of alcohol, but to me it's not so much a flavoring - it's more an integral component of what makes up this tobacco. It just wouldn't be Bagpiper's Dream without the cognac - though I'm not a person who enjoys drinking cognac as a liqueur.
Anyway, Bagpiper's Dream is one of those tobaccos I could smoke all day - but it's the only aromatic that I could do so. The remainder of those I could smoke all the time would be blends - primarily Virginias and Latakias.

Status
Not open for further replies.