Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Does The Tinder Box still market pipes with their name on them? Looking for any information I can. Did they produce their own pipes or were they out sourced? I've went to their site but do not see any 'Tender Box" pipes for sale.
Recent pipe for me is this Tinder Box Pipe marked: Tinder Box Noble. I'm sure some will think that's one ugly pipe! I hope I'm seeing it's true potential. I cannot wait to restore this one.
tenderpipe1-600x327.jpg

tinderboxpipe1-1-600x270.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
"Back in the day" I bought all of my pipes at the Tinder Box, they were predominately large frame free hands.

To me they seemed like they were big on Erik Nording, Caminetto, and similar pipe makers.

Although, they did have quite a few Ascortis as well.

But, I think you are right that they outsourced their "Tinder Box" pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jeeze, Durham270, it's spooky, like you're reading my mind. Here's my story. I just found the "mother church"

Tinder Box store, which started out as Ed's, in Santa Monica, CA. They have an "ask Tinder Box" block so you

can ask questions. I wrote them about my pipe labeled "The Tinder Box, St. Ives," that I bought in the mid-1970's,

asking where they sourced their house pipes at that time. I asked the question about fifteen minutes before

I saw your post on Forums here. I bought my pipe at the Raleigh, N.C., Tinder Box at something called

Crabtree Valley Mall, one of the large malls here. I would describe my pipe as a bent pot sitter with a saddle

stem. It has approximately a group 4 bowl, but is extremely light weight and well-shaped. It's held up

well over the decades and I just had a good bowl of McClelland 5100 Red Va. Cake in it. Draws perfectly and

polishes up great afterwards. Your pipe might have been sourced at a different time and place, and therefore

your answer may be different than the one I get, but I'll share it with you on this thread if I get it back fairly

soon. Great minds on the same track. Meantime, just Google Tinder Box and go to the Santa Monica store site.

Let me know what you learn, too. I've been trying to figure this one out for years.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
About a year ago I purchased a Nording Freehand pipe from my local TinderBox shop (now closed) The stamp on the pipe had the "TinderBox" marking and Nording as well. Guess they have a few still floating around with their stamping at least.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Durham270, here's my response from Pipe Guru at Tinder Box in Santa Monica on my Tinder Box St. Ives pipe:
Back in the late 70's the St. Ives pipe sold for $13.95! The line consisted

of classic English shapes and it was a very good seller. At this time we had

a number of companies making pipes for us including Charatan,

Parker/Dunhill, Sasieni, GBD/Comoy, Butz-Choquin, and Armellini. This time

was indeed a great time for pipe smokers coming into The Tinder Box. My

memory is a little vague on this but I think the St Ives was made by

GBD/Comoy. I know they were great smoking pipes and it is good to hear that

you are still enjoying your St Ives.
Good Luck

The Pipe Guru

Tinder Box International

burg

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2012
Wow! Are you looking to sell that? I might be interested if you are. I'm a fan of pokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
burg, not sure if you are offering to buy my pipe; it's a bent pot sitter, not a poker. Since it's my original pipe,

I'm not looking to sell it, especially now that I have its provenance. I too like pokers. I have a La Rocca poker;

not my favorite make of pipe among the Italians, but especially nice design I think. I also have a Parker

sandblasted poker, which I was surprised to see coming from Parker. Not wanting to sell any of the stable

of pipes. I have pretty much what I want and will now concentrate on tobacco. But there are many great

pokers out there, so good luck.

burg

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2012
No worries. I get my shapes mixed up. It's very poker-esque... good looking pipe nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.