PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Okay, we've all witnessed the brotherhood and generosity of the forum, but this is something new... To me anyways. I posted on a thread a photo of my large tamp which is used in the making of espresso, to tamp the fine coffee grounds. It's a beautifully put together piece of hardware. I mentioned how cool it would be to have the same tamp, scaled down to size, for a pipe. So, what shows up in my mailbox today? I scaled down version of the most difficult part, the metal working. This thing is machined stainless. I actually got the chills when I opened the box. This is seriously badass and I am eternally grateful!! BRILLIANT!!! I don't want to mention his name without approval, but THANK YOU!!

Here's the big one vs small one...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nate, is that a Reg Barber tamp?
Here is my collection of espresso tampers. I have pipe tamper envy.

-- Pat

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Awesome Pat!!! It's sold as an espresso tamp, but assume used for anything. Google "espresso tamp". Espresso machines are made to a standard size to accommodate the tamp. I had no idea they could be used for something else. Why "barber" tamp? Very cool!!
Ps. I owned my own bar for years as well as worked for Sbux Managment and Carmike Cinemas. Spent over a decade in coffee/liquor.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks Eric!!! Didn't wanna mention names without an ok ;) it's absolutely perfect!!! Great job, drawing and all! I'm seriously impressed!!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
That is a handsome and substantial tamp! I bet it feels great in hand! Are you planning on having a wooden handle made for it?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thank you! Yes I'm most definatly going to try! It really does feel good in the hand and the pipe tamps never felt as good.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
It may be hard to avoid over-tamping just because you will enjoy the use of the tamp!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Lol you're probably right!!! The Art Of The Tamp will become a thing, always emptying bowls out, seeking that perfect balance.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Reg Barber is a person. He makes tampers. Yours has a similar shape to his. The tamp with cocobolo handle in my picture is one of his.
-- Pat

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
So cool! remember to keep your elbow up when applying the twist to the tamp ha, well that's how I got taught for espresso down in New Zealand anyway...
Isaac

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
applying the twist to the tamp ha, well that's how I got taught for espresso down in New Zealand anyway...
So important! Carpal tunnel and tendinitis are the two leading workplace injuries for baristi.
@mortonbriar I have friends at Bell, Flight and Columbus Coffee. Where did you work?
-- Pat

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
That is awesome. I don't drink coffee so didn't even know such a thing existed. Look forward to,seeing what you do with the handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.