PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I favor the squat bulldog over the tall bulldog. It is one of my absolute favorite shapes.
dunhill-shell-briar-5217-group-5-pipe-b377-dunhill-b377-alpascia-img-128582-w1100-h323-600x176.jpg

kaywoodie-bulldog-98b.jpg

daccord-1027.jpg

I just don't seem to like the tall bulldog all that much. Maybe I'll change my mind someday.
peterson-sherlock-holmes-baker-street-1-600x399.jpg

What do you think?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
#1 is the winner in the looks department but I have a suspicion that #4 makes for a tastier smoke. Send all 4 this way for a taste test.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Squat bulls are easy on the eyes. They have a balanced look. They're probably my favorite shape that I have yet to aquire.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The two squat bulls I smoke regularly (Dr. Grabow Royal Duke and a Leonessa sandblast) are my dedicated Star of the East pipes. Two of the best pipe/blend pairings I have ever run across.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Yeah. A canine Bulldog isn't tall and thin. I like the looks of Bulldog pipes where the bowl is wider than it is tall.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since the bulldog shape is pretty defined, the variations seem especially creative -- squat or tall, bead line or none, straight or bent. My Peterson bulldog (Around the World/Ireland) and my Dr. Grabow Royalton are essentially squat, but very different pipes. Then I have a little Stanwell 32 and a rather tall and ample-bowled Johs bulldog, which is a whole different look. Great dogs in photos! That morta's a knockout, fish'.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I have been doing some research on Bulldog/Rhodesian pipes and although recent thinking is that Rhodesian is round shanked and Bulldogs are Square shanked, I have been going through many old catalogues online from the 30s to 70s to see what different pipe manufacturers called these designs.
The ones named 'Bulldog' tend to have square shanks but certainly not exclusively.Ones labelled 'Rhodesian' have both square and round shanks without one being more common than the other, but....
I have found that the older catalogues seem to have Bulldogs as the taller shaped bowl, as in the last pic on the original post and the more squat shaped bowl was called either Rhodesian or a squat Bulldog - sometimes with the square stem sometimes round, sometimes saddle stemmed, some tapered.
It seem to me that it is rather an imprecise 'science' and there was no real rules as such. The only thing I have found so far is that the taller bowl shaped pipe is never called Rhodesian whether bent or straight and is always called a Bulldog.
I know this is a bit of a tangent and discussed before but being a bit OCD I thought I would do a bit of research as I am after a Bulldog/Rhodesian as my next pipe...

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I prefer the look of the squat Bulldog as well. The taller Bulldogs just aren't as pleasing to the eye. :puffy:

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I also like squat, but not too squat. Those look squished, not squat to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.