PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I was looking for some feedback last week about the 320; a pipe that seemed to make no sense for me yet had a magnetic attraction I couldn't ignore. My spring 320 arrived on Monday and damn...this thing is the real deal. I only have one pipe less expensive, but the 320 has totally reshaped my expectations of what I should be looking for in a smoking pipe. I can't think of a better compliment.
I'm sure new pipe romance colors my opinion a bit, but right now I'm not sure I see the point in going further than the 320. You can pick these things up new regularly for @ $60 and sometimes as low as $45. That's so cheap it undercuts the estate market for me.
It gets all the basics right. It smokes so well that smoking is almost an after thought as in "oh yeah, pipe smoking.. don't sweat it, I've been doing that since you was a babe at mommas teet". It smokes dry, cool and cleanly.
This is a first in a few of categories for me. First italian, first bent, first tapered bowl, first lucite stem, first factory pipe to be drilled precisely and first to break the 2 oz barrier.

These are things that put me off this sort of pipe but actually make a lot of sense here.
Though heavy, it is easier to clench than my english nose warmer because it's balanced exceptionally well. Though there's no getting around physics and I can't clench it for as long as my 0.5 oz belgique, naturally. I think I may prefer lucite to vulcanite and don't really see why it's often maligned. Vulcanite has a tendency to stick to my lips. Lucite doesn't so far. It doesn't seem to scratch as easily and I'm not concerned about biting through the stem.
Anyway, there's really something about the way this shape fits the hand. It's fun to hold and feels great especially when it's -2F outside and you need a kungfu grip to keep from spilling your tobacco all over the place.
Any did I say it smokes dry? Seriously.
I think I can just stop here and say this is the only one of my pipes that I don't feel I need to coax. It does all the hard work all the smoker needs to do is moderate the flow to get what you want out of it.
All in all, a top shelf pipe at a bargain basement price.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Glad to hear you are happy with it.
I have been slowing down with my PAD as of late, but I have this feeling the 320 would be one I could convince myself to make an exception with if the opportunity presented itself. Just hear such good things about them.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The 320 is a wonderful pipe. I've been using mine for Irish and British plugs. It's a superior performer and I see several more in my future. Enjoy yours.

This is my Sav Spring 320KS. The bottom pipe is a Mastro de Paja Claccica; also a great pipe.

Mar 1, 2014
I think part of the attraction to these is the large bowl, good to hear you get a dry smoke out of it.

If I weren't so put off by a short stem I would have had one a long time ago.

(ok that and the best ones were aleady taken when I placed my IPSD order yesterday [International Pipe Smoking Day])

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very likable shape, durable looking and a good size for toting you a breast pocket. It's awfully heavy

for a pipe that length, but this doesn't seem to dim the affection of its many owners and fans. I have

several stocky pipes that fill this bill for me, and don't weigh as much, but if I had a 320, I know I'd be

devoted to it. 'Love my Savs.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for the great story bigpond. Nice to see another testimonial that confirms it's not all about spending big money to get a fine pipe.
Congratulations and happy puffing!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
At 2.29 oz, this Marron Glace Rusticated 320 KS is NOT a clencher. You can subdue a mugger with it by hitting the scoundrel on the head with it.But it feels great in hand and like most Savinellis, smokes as good as much pricier pipes. And it is a HANDSOME pipe.
Pax
Sav320_zpsa4dfc56a.jpg

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I have a Gaius 320 smooth and it specs out at 1.9 oz. which is hardly a featherweight but with a Softy bit I can clench it without drama.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Uhh, where can I get a 320 for $45? The cheapest I've seen is way pricier than that.
I have one 320 and It's in constant rotation. Great smoker. I'd like to get another, but for $45 I might get two.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Dave, watch pipesandcigars.com for the Sav House pipes. Right now they're sold out of the 320, but I expect they'll restock. They run $59.
I picked up an estate 320 on the bay for $41.00. At first I thought it might be bigger than I like. Absolutely a great pipe!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
320 is a very popular shape and its always great to find a shape that works for you. Now to buy one in every style. Lol

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Uhh, where can I get a 320 for $45? The cheapest I've seen is way pricier than that.
I have one 320 and It's in constant rotation. Great smoker. I'd like to get another, but for $45 I might get two.
Smoking pipes had them at $64 in the Amarone line. I inverted that to $46 :( Sorry!
Pipes and Cigars markets the same line as the Savinelli House Pipe.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I also love my 320, but no matter the shape, you can't go wrong with a Savinelli. Best value for value pipe on the market right now. I love my Peterson Nording and Stanwell pipes, but no one beats Savinelli for value, consistency and solid construction, in my opinion.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
I really like my 320, smokes great and I like the look of the shape. My only complaint is the stem doesn't taper enough to my liking. It is a little wide to sit comfortably to clench.

popsmusix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
I have been eyeing the 320 for awhile now. SP usually has them in stock, I just might have to pick one up!

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
My Savinelli 320 "Opera" pipe is a beauty as well. Brown stained with white-marbling stem. Couldn't believe the bargain of a price I got it for at Cup O'Joes a few years ago.
By the way, isn't this pipe the one sometimes referred to as the "author's pipe"? If so, does anybody know why?
Just curious.

jmmize

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2014
Got a Sav....320 today from smoking pipes! Ready to try it!

Also, changed avaiator...to Grandpipe photo from Rabbit Smoking.. will see if it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.