PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I was getting sick of the ugly finish that kept bubbling off.
So some acetone, some really REALLY hard scrubbing, and a light coat of carnuaba, went from this...
20170628_132716.jpg

To this...
20170628_142029.jpg

Ahhhh so much better without the makeup.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My generic German #26 from P&C has a similar high gloss treatment. I'm beginning to see some tiny bubbles around the inner part of the rim.
It's good to see your outcome. I really like the briar shape of my cheap-o and can see me applying your technique in the future.
Thanks for sharing. Any wax brand recommendation?
jay-roger.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah, why would they hide that beautiful grain???
Jaytex, I bought a regular bar of carnauba from Amazon. Very cheap, lasts forever.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have a rossi too, please elaborate on the process .. i would like to do the same on mine. Let me tell you, i had some experiences with my rossi pipe. It only smoked latakia heavy blends, i still smoke it,but it is turned ugly as hell over time ...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Madox, all I did was put acetone on those cotton rounds, and scrub like hell. When I got all the thick ugly shiny off, I buffed it with carnuaba wax using my dremel tool. Very simple, for a drastic change.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
That gloss coat is shellac and is used widely on pipes. I feel that shellac is much too delicate and will always start to flake off. Thank god its easy to remove. Good job!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Looks good, will have to do it to mine, I bought one like yours because it was the ugliest most caked up pipe I had ever seen, in a post about a couple of months ago.

Really looked like you enjoyed & smoked the crap out of it!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The pipe looks much better and you did a nice job, but briar? C'mon man, what will your cobs think? :lol:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Jpmjwcr, I did get the rim down to wood. I tried cleaning it with saliva so i could get the rest of the lacquer off, but the cake was so hard, it didn't help. I used acetone to get the final clean of cake and lacquer.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Mothernature, The cobs do get jealous occasionally, but then when it's their turn, they work even harder to please me. It's kind of like the stories you hear about the divorced parents fighting for their kids love.

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
That pipe looks much better than when it had the factory finish now. They were covering up a lot of the beauty in that wood which the wax has brought out now. Beautiful job.
RC

Status
Not open for further replies.