PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It is with an immensely heavy heart that I announce the passing of my beloved cat Shelby. Some of you may have seen the pictures I have posted here of her with me in my backyard while I was out smoking. She loved the smell of tobacco and would routinely like my hand after I had been smoking.

I hadn’t seen much of her on Saturday. It was around 10:00 PM when I found her sitting on my closet floor struggling to breath. I rushed her to a 25 hour emergency veterinary clinic. I left at 3:00 Sunday morning with an empty pet carrier and a broken heart.

The sac around her heart had filled with fluid and her lungs were beginning to fill as well. The vet said her heart was just in real bad shape and unfortunately as he had seen so many time before, cats with this condition hide it incredibly well until it is too late. Even when it is caught early the chances are dire. At 16 pounds and several inches in height and length over my other cat her size was likely a contributing factor to her heart condition.

There was just something about her that made her really special to me. She was 10 years old and I have had her since she was a kitten. She slept on my lap the first night I brought her home. She got me through some rough times. No matter how bad my day was she would always be there for me when I got home. Most times I was in my recliner watching TV she would climb up on me, lay on my chest, and even lick my nose. She was never mean or clawed or bit. Okay, sometimes when I was trying to put on my socks and shoes in the morning she would lick and then bit the top of my feet.

I am very lucky and fortunate to have had her in my life. There will never be another like her.

She was a big cat with the tiniest meow.

shelby-007-370x600.jpg

2012-11-23_10-20-48_958-600x338.jpg

586caf7bbdd636e4c1f39416876842ae-1339063-0700-copy-600x450.jpg

502bff63e872977321723dd98eed1f41-84041-0419-copy.jpg

Rest in peace Shelby. I'll see you when I get there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a darling. You have my sympathy. The four-legged ones may start out as just pets, but they work hard, study their people and their world, and entwine our hearts for sure. Sometimes when the trio of cats pile on me, I feel like, yep, this is what heaven would be. This happens with people and their horses, dogs, cats, and some more unlikely creatures. I read a piece recently about a man who had a final visit and embrace from an octopus he had come to know, and eventually truly befriend. I have a lineage and legacy of creatures who have widened my connection to the larger world, people and others.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Sorry to hear about that. I had a siamese named Thomas that I loved so much it's been hard to replace that warrior. I know your pain.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Losing a pet was the first hardest thing I had to endure. Sorry you are goi g through the same. Cats leave so much of themselves with the person they bond with.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
It's a terrible loss...when they own a piece of your heart...I've lost 3 sweet dogs in the past years, but I always promised them that they would always have a home. Now all 3 rest in peace.

H1KFQxel.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry to hear of your loss. We have one dog who's 90 in our years, and it won't be that long. The other guy will miss him, too. I want to get a puppy but wife not amenable.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
So sorry to hear of your loss. We have a cat, too, who is a deeply loved member of the family. It is always so hard to lose a beloved pet, ranking up there for me with losing a beloved human family member. I believe what disappears from view is only temporary, as is all life. But, love endures and reunions follow.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I feel for you. I love my cat, shes getting up there. 18 years old this past December.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My sincere condolences.
There's something about the bond that dogs and cats are capable of with humans that is truly special. We collectively take it for granted because we're so familiar with it...but when you stop and think about it, it is something mysterious and wonderful.
I will always remember when my previous dog of almost 14 years passed...5 years ago this month...on St Patrick's day actually. I had adopted her at 6 mos old. It was a tough thing to let go of. My current dog is 5 now...I adopted her at a year old, born right about the same time the other passed...and she is also just as amazing a creature as the previous one, but her own very unique personality.
@pepesdad1: Beautiful photo...very nice that you laid them to rest like that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pets are family that you choose and each little paw print leaves a mark. So sorry for your loss as I love my furry family members as well.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Pets are just so important to us. And Shelby only being ten years makes the loss seem all the more painful. Our cat is 17+ and when she goes I'll cry like a baby. My condolences to you.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. We had a beloved cat who adopted us one night when she crept in through the pet door, past the sleeping dog, and hopped up into bed with us. She was our baby, and we lost her right after we learned we could not have children. It was devastating, to say the least. Last year we also lost our dog unexpectedly. Our animals become such an intimate part of our lives, and I think I can say I like them more than I like most people. It's heartbreaking when they leave us. I'm a firm believer, however, that they will all be there waiting for us on the other side. RIP, Shelby.

Status
Not open for further replies.