Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lora, my (used to be tobacco nazi) girlfriend, gave me a Northern Briar Regal Churchwarden with a beautiful Cumberland stem. It has a huge bowl, the largest I've ever had. We have just shared a fully packed inaugural bowl of Astley together. It took about three hours, and was Lora's first time to smoke anything. I attribute her willingness to try it to Brian and the Pipes Magazine Radio Show.
She seemed to enjoy it, but we were sharing. I think the idea for this pipe was to give me one that we can smoke on movie nights. Maybe by next Christmas I can get her to want to smoke her own pipe.
gift-pipe-2013.jpg

Merry Christmas!!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Cosmic
You mentioned that she 'used to be tobacco Nazi'.
How did you manage to get her over to the 'dark side'? Just the Radio show?
Beautiful looking pipe.
Congrats

@Allen, when we started dating, seven years ago, I was in my second year of trying to quit cigarettes. I was eating nicotine lozenges and doing hypnosis tapes. I would go months at a time without cigarettes, and then start back up at low points. I did this for seven years, with each time I started back up, she would throw fits, putting me in the doghouse.
When I had switched to smoking RYO in a pipe, and inhaling, she was apprehensive. But, we talked to several of our customers who were in the healthcare field about the "real" pipe smoking hobby, and they were encouraging about the reduced risk of smoking a pipe verses cigs. So, I found the radio show podcast, this was over a year ago, and I started listening to it with her, and also started visiting our local Briary with her. She was still mildly apprehensive, but she eventually started identifying different leafs in the tobacco when I smoked that she had learned. However, she had no interest in smoking, until Brian started interviewing women pipe smokers.
I have no idea if she will start smoking a pipe by herself. But, she respects the hobby. My oldest daughter used a pipe to quit smoking cigs like I did, but at the moment, my daughter doesn't have an interest in the true hobby of the pipe. But, Lora seems to have gotten into it, reminding me when the show is about to start and visiting the Briary with me, even suggesting we go there when we can get out of our shop. We joke about getting her, her own pipe, but so far it's just talk. But, she has a true interest in the different leafs, the ritual, and the different pipes, etc... And, she is as girly a girl as there is, LOL.
My suggestion to anyone wanting to get their girlfriends or wives interested, just talk to her. Share your interest in pipes and tobacco. Heck, I don't claim to know anything about women, LOL. Who does? But, maybe, just maybe, if you share your enthusiasm and excitement in the hobby with your girl, she might just share your enthusiasm. Enthusiasm can be contagious.
She also used to work for Disney, and is still a Disney fanatic also. That also helps, ha ha!! She always waits through a broadcast to see if Brian mentions anything about his experiences there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.