Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

The Pipe of the Young Pope

(15 posts)
  1. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First, thanks to those gents who put this in their favorite TV shows, or I would have missed it. I find it fascinating, controversial, thought provoking. Beautifully filmed, too. Great acting by the whole cast, though Diane Keaton is not her best.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The stem is missing through much of the story, but is here reunited with the stummel. There's an oblong diamond on the left side of the stem, easy to see in the moving frames, but I couldn't get a clear capture, even via 4K.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

Pretty sure that's a Brebbia, they have a diamond stem logo. For sure, that's from their Linea A line. Google it for some results.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. smoothsailing

smoothsailing

Login to Send PM

Brebbia, Pura, Linea "AAA" pipes

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. smoothsailing

smoothsailing

Login to Send PM

Older PM post

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is this that newly added series on Net Flix? I thought I saw it there, but didn't get a chance to watch it ..

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Upon reading this, I had a flashback to when Pope JP2 visited Mexico City way back in the day. Amongst the seemingly endlessly array of papal visit tchotchkes was a roped shower soap with the pope's image impressed upon it >>> billled as Pope Soap On A Rope. AHA thought I!!! What if The Young Pope smokes Ropes??? heh heh...

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jerwynn, the pope in that series smokes ropes... um, I mean he swings both ways on ropes... I mean, he does drugs, has babies, has illicit... everything. He is the new conservative Pope that has come to right the church, but does all of the things he is condemning. It really hasn't captivated me yet. It needs more violence.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh my!! Probably needs some crazed terrorists and bombs as well. And some Illuminati!! And some Knights Templar!! And some Priory of Sionites!!! Wait... been there done that??!!!???

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And Opus Dei!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It did have a sword fight :::cough cough::: but, I think that if they'd have him drink from the skulls of protestants in some pagan blood ritual, then... This really could have been a great series. I'm just not sure the writers hit on exactly what the public wants to see right now. HBO did that with Vinyl. It could have been really good too, but they concentrated too much on the decadence, and left it devoid of a good story.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure I need this series in the sense that I grew up in Chicago with many Catholic friends and the Pope John encyclical made my friends cease calling me a Pagan ... which sounded kind of good to me at the time, being a Pagan, though I was a regular acolyte at the local (Protestant) Community Church.

Incidentally, I think the Cardinals selected the current Pope Francis as a conservative rule enforcer (according to some accounts) and were surprised when he became a much more embracing presence rather than just a new Sheriff, though I think he has held many of the old lines.

As with all "otherness," I have found my Catholic friends, and my long-time Catholic boss, and many other Catholics in my life, good people. Growing up it was a good exercise in both respecting and to some degree ignoring these categories. In any case ... nice pipe!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is this that newly added series on Net Flix? I thought I saw it there, but didn't get a chance to watch it ..

It's still being released in re-runs on HBO. You can watch it On Demand or broadcast, at least that's do with DIRECTV. Dunno about the Flix.

It's very though provoking to me, but several grains of salt are suggested in viewing it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm just not sure the writers hit on exactly what the public wants to see right now.

That's almost certainly right. But when did that ever stop anyone from a good series??

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   admin, georged, yaddy306, tfdickson