Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Over a month ago, Romeowood had an idea for writing an article about pipes in art. I thought it was a good idea, and we decided to proceed. What's really neat is, while he was working on the article, the same topic came up as a completely separate thread right here in the forums.
I have to admit that a significant bit of what we do around here, businesswise, is based on instinct. I guess this is another example of how that continues to work out well. I hope you enjoy our focus on Juan Gris' use of pipes in his Cubism art.
Check it out -

The Pipe in Art: Juan Gris

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks Kevin,
If I had the artistic ability to convey a self portrait of me standing in front of those pieces in the articles, I'd have to paint myself as 'Seinfelds' Kramer with arms folded, pipe hanging out to the side of my mouth, looking as if I really believed I understood what the hell I was looking at. ;-)

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I've discovered there is definitely enough out there for this to become a regular column. It's a great article. Gris does get forgotten. You've corrected that in such an elegant way. Thank you. Now maybe Cezanne, as you mentioned, and then maybe VanGogh , the pipe in political art, in advertising,..How about it Romeowood?

Aug 14, 2012
Braque also used the pipe a lot. I wonder if cubism is the most important 20th century art movement though. I believe expressionism has that distinction. Cubism was actually an eccentric little movement started by Picasso when he was looking for a way to improve his sales, and steal some regular buyers from Matisse. It worked.

Mar 31, 2014
I've never been a fan of cubism, but then, I've never encountered Gris before.
Maybe it's because of Gris's noted shyness, but his paintings have a softness about them that Picasso's lack. And, I can't help but have some personal dislike for Picasso, being the huge egotist and womanizer that he was, which in no way detracts from his craft, just an interesting fact. Picasso would walk up to women sunbathing on the beach and say something to the effect of, "Hello, I'm Picasso! You should come to bed with me." Well, I guess if you're a glass half full type you could admire his no BS approach. Kind of like "The Naked Man" from How I Met Your Mother.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I have to separate the person from the art. Hitler's artwork sucked. So did he. Miles Davis' art is transcendent. He was not a great person. I can't imagine my life without the music of Miles Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.