PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As I've stated in other threads, I watch a lot of pipe auctions on ebay, many more than ever I bid on. Such tracking over thousands of auctions has given me some general guidelines on market prices and also a reasonably reliable perspective regarding some of the behavioral characteristics of bidders.
Every now and them there occurs a spectacular collision of behaviors which involve making stratospheric bids. Today I witnessed another of them over a 1911 cased Barling Bent with an amber stem. I own a straight billiard from 1912 that is a kissing cousin to the one that just sold on ebay. It's on the "Show Me...Barlings" thread for those who want to see it.

Based on the general market prices I've followed, today's pipe should have gone for about $400, more or less, and probably less for reasons of condition. It's going to need some careful restoration work. The pipe went for over $810. Why? Because one bidder put in a bid with a very high maximum limit just before the end, and a sniper collided with that bid in the stratosphere right at the end. The other possible contributing factor could be that the amounts were expressed in pounds and possibly the bidders thought they were bidding in dollars.

One rule that I have for bidding is that I never bid more than the high end of what I believe something to be worth based on research. And I always make sure that I know what currency I'm bidding and do the exchange calculation before making the bid.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
My rule for ebay is I set a maximum price that I am willing to pay for an item and that is that. It hurts to see someone win a bid by outbidding me by $0.50, but a limit is a limit and that is that.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
The same goes for regular auctions as well. I make up my mind the absolute top price I'm willing to pay before bidding starts and never let emotions get the better of me. That being said, I've broken my own rule a couple of times and my better half is constantly reminding me of it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I hope that the buyer is happy. The seller has got to be ecstatic!
As for the pipe? It's going to need some significant cleaning, possibly topping of the rim, and the tenon is stuck in the mortise. The glue that held the tenon screw has failed which allows the stem to unscrew. And then, as with anything bought off of ebay, who knows what else is lurking, beyond the airway probably filled with century old muck?
Flaky, this was a good time to call it a day.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
and the tenon is stuck in the mortise.
I never saw those additional pics until just now. This would imply that everything else is more or less OK:
This Barling's pipe shows just a little handling wear commensurate with age and use and has been lovingly looked after to arrive 100 years later in this condition.
I wonder if the winning bidder realized the state of the tenon/mortise?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why? Because more than one other person disagrees with your assessment of market value strong enough to pay up for it.

That may well be true, duckfat. I just follow ebay valuations over the years. And I also follow bidder behavior patterns because I find that equally interesting. Because the identities were withheld, I have no way of know if either of the bidders were tyros, or what their purchasing history was.

But setting really high maximum bids can cause some interesting results.

Auction prices have little to no bearing on true market value. Items sell from well value under to far over but the fact remains that when it comes to unique items, demand often exceeds supply.

Also true. When someone really wants something and has the means to get it, considerations of value can go out the window. An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I seriously doubt multiple bidders were confused by something as basic as exchange rates.

It happens. I've had two second chance offers come to me because the winning bidder welched on the deal for that very reason.

urtpiz

Lurker
Oct 29, 2013
I just watched the bids of four pipes more than double in less than 10 seconds. At the 11 second mark, I'm thinking the price is right, but I get priced out of the picture pretty fast.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I saw that pipe too sable and thought it was way over priced. What will that make my unsmoked late 1890's worth?
I am also glad Flaky decided on no more pipes as that one would most probably have been winging its way over to me to get sorted :)

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I just don't see a problem with the bidding. If you aren't willing to put in the max you are willing to pay then be prepared to be sniped. Don't complain if someone out bids you. The guy that out bids you may well be willing to up his bid more if you decide to increase your bid. Bidding fever can be brutal.
In the same vein don't put in a bid you aren't willing to live with it. All it takes is two guys wanting something to jack the price up.

chrisschneck

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Congrats to the seller of that one!
Innacurate descriptions, crazy shipping costs and a sadistic feedback system stopped me from having any interest in FeeBay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The seller seemed to be a straight up person. When the listing first went up, I contacted the seller to ask for pictures of the rim and chamber. I don't bid on pipes without seeing that detail. The seller promptly added pictures of that detail.
The 1912 amber stemmed Barling that I have had a frozen tenon, which I freed. Where an amber stem is concerned, it's a much more delicate operation because the amber is much more brittle. So I wrote the seller again to inquire if the stem could be removed. The seller responded that the stem unscrewed and when reattached, lined up perfectly.
Well, by 1911, Barling wasn't using the old bone screw join between stem and shank. I knew something was wrong there. So I asked if the screw was attached to the stem or the shank. The seller responded and put up pictures. The seller never tried to hide anything and I don't think that the seller knew anything about pipes.
Of the various Barling pipes from that era that I own, all were purchased for less than half the amount of this sale. That's just a handful out of the hundreds that I've followed over the years. $800+ buys you a pre-war quaint in mint condition, or an elaborate sterling wind capped piece.
Because the identities were hidden, I couldn't see the number of wins, nor the buying pattern of the bidders. But in a number of other auctions where the price was an outlier, the winner wasn't a pipe collector, but a period collector. This pipe might just end up on a shelf next to a set of Coronation dishware featuring George V and Queen Alexandra. Pipe collectors tend to bid more closely to averages.
BTW, I don't think that there's a "problem" with the bidding. I think that there's something to be learned by it.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I to set a max price for a pipe I'm interested in. If that max price gets passed whether it be with 2 days left or 2 seconds left in the auction then that is that. There are so many pipes out there I'm not going to get caught up in a bidding war with a sniper bid. I'll just find something else down the road to bid on and try again.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Alan ha ha!! My resolve remains; I have one more payment to make for my son's graduation pipe gift, and that my friend will be it!
I will no longer spend hours on eBay. Pauline thinks I spend too much time on PM Forums as it is, but she is so delighted I will no longer be importing "other people's old shit" into HER house that I could just about get away with murder (or at least audible farting!) for the next few days!! LOL

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
INT. Living room of the Hoomafanooma house - The scene opens with a man, wearing a tasseled smoking cap, sitting in an overstuffed chair, reading a book. He is surrounded by a mixture of late Victorian and early 20th century furniture. The tables are covered with brick-a-brack, Coronation porcelain, Jubilee commemoratives, stuff like that. British Arts and Crafts curio cabinets line the walls. An elephant's head, flanked by two Union Jacks, is mounted over the fireplace. Crossed sabers are mounted on the walls above the cabinets.
"There Will Always Be An England" plays on the Victrola
The doorbell rings.
The man sets down his book and rises out of the chair. He goes to the door and opens it. A mailman stands across the threshold.
"Package for Mr. Hoomafanooma, please sign here."
The man signs for the package and excitedly opens it. He pulls a small leather case from the package.
"Sweetieums!" calls the man, "Come see what just came in the mail!"
His wife enters, a small birdlike woman wearing a black leather dominatix outfit, complete with whip. She approaches the man.
He triumphantly holds up a small pipe with an amber stem for her to see.
Faster than lightning she swats the pipe out of his hands. As the pipe sails across the room and smashes into the wall, she screams at him, "Stop bringing other people's old shit into this house!!"
fade to black

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Not sure what you are getting at here. We've all seen the documentaries from Monty Python about typical Brit life. Bit ho-hum actually. Well, carry on; I'm off to smoke my lumberjack.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm sure that seller was ecstatic. They don't seem to deal in pipes, someone must have helped write the ad?
1_f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.