PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
The OOM PAUL shape, to me, is near perfect. Formally it is a quintessential / caricature of the pipe, while functionally it performs like a champ. It hangs out of the way of your view, imposes less force on your teeth, and the tall bowl allows for a long smoke - furthermore, you can drop it into your chest pocket and it will remain upright and not start a fire / spill. Regarding it's shape, it is the most graceful feminine form of any pipe, especially when fitted with a curvilinear taper stem. Let's hear what you think, besides the only drawback of fighting a pipe cleaner for those who insist it should be done without removing the stem ;)

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
Just Look at her:

1940CaptainPete-L.jpg

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Oom Paul is without a doubt my favorite shape. I have 3 Oom Pauls and love them all, but my Caminetto is the best pipe in my collection.

w4mms
[/url][/img]

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I do love the Oom Paul. Only got one so far and it's a good stand by smoker for me and I am always on the lookout for another.

I personally prefer it with a saddle bit because that slim and comfy stem just makes it so dang comfy and good lookin'.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I found this baby in an antique store, counldn't walk away:

100_2761-1.jpg

This one is a Barling Guinea Grain, and the picture does not do it justice.

I have 3 others: an Edwards smooth, a rough Pioneer meerschaum, and a smoothe white meer w/o a label. They cant be beat for comfort and utility. One thing though, they all have huge, deep bowls on them, so I dont smoke them

as often as I'd like.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
ModernChicago:
" Regarding it's shape, it is the most graceful feminine form of any pipe, especially when fitted with a curvilinear taper stem. "
I don't know what you are smoking in your pipe but whatever it is I'll bet it's not legal. There is nothing more manly than an Oom Paul pipe. That comment to a guy smoking one could result in getting your face punched in.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
What is the definition of an Oom Paul? What must it have or not have to be considered one? I'm not 100% sure what the definition is.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Full bent, large and I had always understood the really defining aspect is the relationship of the end of the shank to the top of the bowl.

The end of the shank on an Oom Paul/Hungarian will be at or very near to the same level or height as the rim of the bowl.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thank you OTD :) Always good to learn something new. From these pictures it looks like they have the sort of bowl you could live in if you ever needed to! :)

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
I don't know what you are smoking in your pipe but whatever it is I'll bet it's not legal. There is nothing more manly than an Oom Paul pipe. That comment to a guy smoking one could result in getting your face punched in.

LOL! The pipe is Feminine, curvy....I didn't mean it makes the smoker effeminate! LOL.

The best designs in any discipline will often borrow from the female form. (Sports cars, furniture, ornament, etc)

I agree it's a man's man pipe. Now put up your dukes.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have a GIGANTIC Oom Paul I got from Marty Pulvers. I was a bit worried about it at first, but it clenches and rests on the chin perfectly.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
I only smoke when I fish, and the Oom Paul is perfect for fly fishing. Clenched, with a rubber bite guard, your hands are free and you can live your maritime dream, if only for a half an hour.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Brewshooter... I was looking at that one. Glad you got it. The name did not ring a bell with me. How does it smoke?Marty has another one that is dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.