PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I know it's anti-climactic to post about the pipes you DIDN'T buy, but I had to post this hoping it brings some closure and lessens my sense of loss. There was an estate sale in my neighborhood recently, and they liquidated the estate through an online auction house. I don't usually mess with estate sales, but this time I thought "what the heck" and looked through what was available, hoping to stumble upon some pipes. Wouldn't you know, there they were!
92-1-600x375.jpg

So I went to the open house and sat down with the pipes to see what was in the lot. Overall, their condition was pretty decent- they all needed reaming, stem-polishing and a good cleaning, but they all seemed doable even with my limited restoration abilities. Most of the lot were basket pipes, with a few stand-outs that excited me a little. There were a couple older Yello-Boles, a couple Wally Franks, seven Kaywoodies (Blast, Super Grain, Relief Grain, Meer-Lined and a Thorn) two unmarked meerschaums (the calabash and the billiard), an Amboseli African meer and one Dunhill. Yep, there was a Dunhill in the rough. It was marked Root Briar 42 with a 3 inset in the OR. I didn't take note if there was a number after the "Made In England" stamp, but my searches tell me it might be an early 60s pipe.
There were only two open houses for people to preview the estate sale merchandise up-close and the pipes were tossed all together in a box, so I thought I might have a good chance of getting a pretty good deal here. Well, the auction closed last night and I was not the high bidder. I was willing to go to $250 for the lot but not $300, so the lucky winner got it all for $275.
Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot, I'm feeling a bit like one already for letting this one get away. I'll get over it, but the sting is slow to fade.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Whenever you hit your comfort zone on what you are willing to pay, be it one item or a lot, you've got to be satisfied that you are not an idiot. Just take note of what you see in the photo you took to see if other things show up elsewhere like Craigs List and eBay. This will let you know how you would have fared had you gone a little more, even that would not mean you would have won it, for future reference. Warmest regards...........

banjo

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Ah, that's okay. That stuff just happens sometimes. Take a couple bucks out of that $250 you saved and buy yourself a good quality chocolate bar. You'll feel better and something better will come along. No worries.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Dude, you are not an idiot. You are my hero. Any time you can come accross a batch of pipes and NOT give in to the PAD and blow past your comfort zone is a win!
You will find pipes in the future that will be in your comfort zone price-wise. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
Better luck next time!
~Mike

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I would actually consider you the exact opposite of an idiot. You set a limit for what you were willing to pay, bid up to that much and then stuck to your guns and let it slide without giving in to the chase. As Sablebrush always likes to say, "there will ALWAYS be another pipe(s)". You done good, just keep looking around on ebay, something will pop up. It always does.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I just don't look back. Everyone is tempted to have angst about lost opportunity, but unless there is a lesson to be learned, I kiss it off and move on. There are so many pipes out there for sale, next... That was a cool collection, but you did the right thing and showed discipline.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It depends on your perspective. If you'd been well schooled on the Dunhill, and some of the U.S. factory pipes, and knew exactly what you were getting, it might have been worth the $275. Or, the buyer may have taken a shot in the dark and ended up with a good deal, or the short straw. I would have done what you did, if I'd bid at all, and had my price in mind and quit once I'd gotten there. "Winning" an item in an auction isn't a clear win. It's a chance to say, it's mine, now what?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't have too many regrets and I have some wonderful pipes that were on my Holy Grail list (indeed, most of that list is complete). Only one haunts me, this Shape 1057 Blue Riband. The 1057 only shows up occasionally and I've never seen it in the Blue Riband grade. The BIN price was definitely at the top end of my comfort zone but I still wonder if I should have grabbed it. I suspect it will be a long time before another pops up.
$_57.JPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ssjones, yep, a world class Rhody. Maybe ask a few of the online estate retailers to watch for one for you.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
For years....YEARS! I wanted a chacom Match 95 (its their acorn shape, but its really almost and egg/acorn hybrid). Classic Chacoms have that graceful old school french look that I love, along with a smaller bowl size. From almost the very moment I started with pipes, I desperately wanted one of these light grained beauties.
The timing never worked...
Either, I wouldn't have the money or I couldn't find one for sale. Finally, a few months ago, I the had money and the will. I checked everywhere, from internet retailers to contacting Chacom's factory in badly worded French, just to find that the 95 shape had been discontinued in the Match line...
Noooooooooo!
I know they make essentially the same pipe still, but with the Alpina finish. But, it's just not the same.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Gentlemen, thank-you for the encouragement and for the commiseration! Missing out on that lot has inspired me to renew my efforts on the 6 or 7 pipes currently on my proverbial workbench. They all need re-stemming, but since I didn't spend the money I can use it for that.
Stay smoky, my friends!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It's so easy to lose sight of the reality of the 'object(s) of your affection' when they're in the midst of a competitive sale.

i think you did the right thing, too. There will be more and you may get a better batch to bid on too.

The hunt is really kinda fun.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
Not bidding enough on a pipe that got away is tough. Bidding more than you wanted and realizing the win was not worth it, even worse.
I've been outbid on some Birthyear pipes and at the time I was upset, but that money went towards other pipes that I ended up enjoying a lot more.
It's hard to tell yourself that there will always be more pipes, but it's very true. Not an idiot in my book.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Mine is a Caminetto "New Dear," shape 115 (a slightly bent chimney billiard) stamped Ascorti-Radice instead of the later Hand Made In Italy. I bought it for $90 in Hawaii at a tiny cigar store. A few years ago, it...vanished. I have no idea where it went, but it's gone.
I'd do almost anything to obtain another. I've bought several really incredible pipes since then, but none have filled that hole.
Mine:

7NxvQr1.jpg

One I found on some B&M site, already long sold:

lRSl8Uo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.