PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Well, today was a banner day for me because for the first time ever I had a smoking session of wonderful awesomeness known as only one relight. I know that one should not worry about relighting their pipe; however, smoking a bowl of my favorite tobacco with only one relight truly made me feel like I had graduated from jv to the varsity squad. By the way, when I shared this magical news with my wife she just looked at me and said, "Okay..."

Jan 8, 2013
By the way, when I shared this magical news with my wife she just looked at me and said, "Okay..."
Yeah, most people don't get my passion for pipes and tobacco either. But that's ok. I have a couple friends that are into it, and then there's the forums as well. So it's all good.
Congrats on the single relight. We all love those smokes.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've never cared about the number of relights I've had during a smoke. I think to many beginning pipe smokers put to much thought into this. A lot give up the hobby because they think that if they relight multiple times they're doing something wrong and will be looked down on by other pipe smokers. There is no JV or Varsity team. Whether you're an aromatic smoker only, or have to relight your pipe 10 times etc.... you are a pipe smoker just like the rest of us. If you're enjoying your pipe and the tobacco that's all that should matter.
With that said there is nothing wrong with celebrating the moment either. Of course it helps to share it with others that can appreciate the moment with you. My wife would just glare at me and make a sarcastic comment in return.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Congrats. That's cool.
However, I've been smoking for years and I almost always relight several times -- I find that's more relaxing than worrying about keeping things lit.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ya, you pretty much have to embrace the re-light if you are going to enjoy smoking pipes. Once it becomes second nature, rather than some sort of obsessive contest between you and your pipe and tobacco, things sort themselves out, typically.

It is nice to be ABLE to smoke a complete bowl, but even though I can do so regularly, I most often smoke a partial bowl and revisit it once it's been enjoyed for about 20-30 min. and allowed to sit and cool.

I find that also helps with keeping my tongue in shape.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I want to make sure that everyone who reads this understands that I am not saying there are jv and varsity pipe smokers. My use of that verbiage was meant to be a metaphor for how I personally felt. I would never denigrate anyone for the type of tobacco, the kind of pipe or how they smoke. I personally have not found a great love for anything outside of RLP-6, and my favorite pipes are the MM Ozark Mountain Hardwood.
I really am okay with relights, as a matter of fact, I love that burst of flavor that a relight brings; however, decreasing the number of relights, for me, means that I am finally learning how to properly dry my tobacco and pack my bowls.
Smoke what you like and love what you smoke.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Yep I know how you feel. Some times everything comes together just right. Sometimes I finish a bowl and suddenly realize it was a hell of a smoke with maybe one relight. I sink back into the chair and think to myself 'I'm awesome'. Lol

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
My favorite, or maybe least favorite, is when I am smoking, it goes out, I think I need a relight, get it going for a couple of puffs, and then it goes out. I stir up the ash, and realize it's all gone. I feel both accomplished in not needing to relight (a hassle where I smoke, due to constant wind)and disappointed that my session is over.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
it goes out, I think I need a relight, get it going for a couple of puffs, and then it goes out. I stir up the ash, and realize it's all gone.
I know what you mean there. My favorite part of any bowl is the last 25% because the flavor just seems to come alive. I can not count the number of times I have been enjoying that last portion of the bowl,get frustrated because I can not keep it lit, give up and dump out the ash and dottle only to discover that my session is over. :crying:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Way to go, Jnyder.
Drying tobacco and packing properly are at the heart and soul of enjoying a pipe.
We all know how you feel.
Hakchuma's "I'm awesome" still has me laughing.
Good on you.
Fnord

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, now you've made varsity, next up are the A clubs, then AA, followed by AAA minors, and then The Major Leagues!
Just funnin'. It is neat the first time it happens, but as many have mentioned, any way you smoke that's enjoyable is "the right way". Congrats!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I want to make sure that everyone who reads this understands that I am not saying there are jv and varsity pipe smokers. My use of that verbiage was meant to be a metaphor for how I personally felt. I would never denigrate anyone for the type of tobacco, the kind of pipe or how they smoke.
I understand what you meant, but I was making a point that their are pipe smokers out there that look down on other individuals that only smoke aromatics, and/or need multiple re-lights etc. and they don't consider those individuals to be "true" pipe smokers. Which is completely dumb, but I've seen it happen. Smoking an entire bowl with two matches, and only English blends doesn't make you a pipe smoker. Smoking a pipe and enjoying it makes you a pipe smoker. I was just trying to let you know not to get caught up in the one light hype etc.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
I thought you were going to say 1 is the loneliest number you could ever be lol. Congrats on the one light bowl! When that happens for me I do feel accomplished as it does not happen often. I agree that relights do not matter, but it is still neat when I get the one lighter lol!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great "quote" from you wife. I wore a mustache for about three years and finally shaved it off. My late wife didn't say anything, so after a week, I took her out for a nice meal and mentioned that I'd made a change and I wondered if she noticed what it was. She really couldn't guess. In most ways were very close and tuned in, but somehow it just didn't register. When I told her, we both got a good laugh.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Mso, I can't imagine any lady adoring more than what is possible. If I had your insight and way with words I would have to fight the ladies off with my bare hands. Oh wait. I wouldn't have to. All I would need to do is smoke some drew estate Central Park and I could allure them into a trance... Of course afterwards I would smoke a big fat bowl of brown bogie, shoot a cow with a slingshot, carve a steak, cook it over an open fire and brew some red-eye gravy and scrape cow dung off my boot heel with a knife.
Sorry, got away from myself for a minute there. Anyway, I suspect your late wife was more interested in yourself than she was your mustache. Not a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.