PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well for the second time in my life I've stood in awe watching the Northern Lights. The first time was over 12 years ago while at our camp in Stoneham ME. Tonight I'm at home and while not as colorful as the last time where gold, red and green lights were observed it was simply green tonight with the Big Dipper above it in the northern sky, simply spectacular watching natures light show whilst enjoying a pipe. Cheers.

banjo

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
40 ish years ago, I saw them on a winter night in Michigan. This October My wife and I are going to Iceland, basically just so she can see them.
I live in hope!

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
First time I saw the northern lights was in the 70's while living in Douglas WY.
Second time was in Adak AK in the 80's.
The last time was back in Oct or Nov of 2004 while moving our RV from Iowa down to NC. I noticed them off of the left side of the RV as I was driving east. Much to my surprise I was able to see them all the way down to WV. Never would have thought I'd see them that far south. A real treat.

Mar 1, 2014
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/110302-solar-flares-sun-storms-earth-danger-carrington-event-science/
Just remember not to use the elevator if the sky starts going wild.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Lived in NY all my life and I've yet to see them. A guy at work today said he saw them last night in Kentucky.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Saw them on a trip inside the Arctic circle in 1972. We were north of Pt. Barrow, Alaska at the time.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
My parents saw them also from Lake of the Woods this week, they are in northern Minnesota on the Canadian border. Years ago I saw the best ones of my life there after what must have been a solar flare. They were very colorful and they rolled right over our heads, it helped that it was 40 below 0 (no wind chill actual temp) and thus very clear that night. There is nothing like it, natures neon..

Status
Not open for further replies.