The new FDA rules have put me out of business.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
We can not deal with the new regs so as of tomorrow Jack Lee Blend tobacco company will be no more. We are now closed and no more orders will be taken. Thank you all for your support and wonderful comments. I will miss blending for everyone and hearing all your thoughts on the blends.
The government has won and the screaming mommy's rejoice.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Has an FDA Agent appeared at your front doorstep? Did you show him that he doesn't have a partnership in your business? I'd look into a private protection agency. I'm sure some retired Seals would love to help you out. I'm being dead serious. Don't give into tyranny, Even crony FreeMarket tyranny. Fight. Fight. Fight.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Agree 100% with Dan... way, way, way too soon to give up.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
From what I've read you could stay in business for two more years before the regs affected you.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Have you really researched what it will cost you to get legal? The SE may be more viable than it appears. The regulations hint that the FDA sees all pipe tobacco as being similar. Find a predicate and file. Of course, this is going to create a huge new market for pre-2007 tobacco blends that can be used as a basis for SE!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It seems the days of government supporting and encouraging businesses is over, in all arenas, but tobacco especially so. Sad days.

Dec 24, 2012
Too bad. You should hang in there, as Dan suggests.
I'd look into a private protection agency. I'm sure some retired Seals would love to help you out. I'm being dead serious.
Are you for real? Dead may just be where one would end up if you try that approach, or at least in prison.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I have considered all of that. Here is the thing. I do not have the money to fight any legal battles. ALL of my blends are after 2012. Two years can be shorted by a vote tomorrow. There are yearly and semi-yearly costs (business, and state tobacco fees that coincide with this point in time) I am talking nearly $1000 just to stay in business today; before 1 more ounce is sold. All that comes out of my pocket. This has always been a boutique business for me because I love doing it. Add this storm coming, I can't do it. Lets say I drop the 1K and in 6 months everything becomes in force. I'm out with no recap at all. You see where I come from? I had breakfast with a Vape owner 2 days ago, he is thinking of closing also. When the thumb on you shuts out all light, you succumb.
Sure Al, we were at JB Hayes in Winchester about 2 years ago and I told you. How soon we forget... :)

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I wish the government could see how this is affecting small business' livelihood. I'm sorry to hear this is happening so soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd hold off to see how all this interpreted and enforced, and if some of the big outfits who have legal capability gain back some concessions for everyone. I understand if the revenue stream is shut off, you can't run a business, but if necessary you could put the business on hold (I know this sounds hollow but ...) and wait to see how things shake out. Could you revive discontinued blends from the past? There may be ways for individual businesses to adapt in a legal way. Things look impossible and terminal now, but the discussion has only just begun. We hope.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sure Al, we were at JB Hayes in Winchester about 2 years ago and I told you. How soon we forget... [:)]
Ah, of course. I'm terrible putting real names to forum screennames. We're overdue for a JB Hayes night.

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
There really ought to be an exemption for boutiques and small businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.