Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

The Name is Tobacco But You Can Call Me....

(67 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by pipebaum81
  • Latest reply from krizzose
  1. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here at Pipesmagazine Forum the collective sum of years of smoking pipe experience must be well into the centuries. When faced with a question there are few more qualified places to bring it. People's pipe smoking processes can be fundamentally changed through the provided answers to important questions. This is not such a question.

Am I the only one irked by the use of the word "Baccy"? Do you, dear reader, use the term? Is there a certain region of the world more likely to use it? Perhaps it's generational? It seems to me that many people with less that a year smoking gravitate to the term over assuming its "cool kid" daily use. Do you feel similarly? Do my soft assumptions irk you? Let's chat.

j/B

"I am a firm believer in the idea that who we are today is strongly influenced by the sum total of all of the individuals whom we have had the privilege of knowing."
    -huntertrw
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually do not use the term but I might when talking to another pipe smoker.

I first heard the term when I read Lewis's "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" so many years ago.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm willing to discuss baccy to anyone that'll listen. Y'all agree wiff me?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 months ago #
  4. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Allow me to simplify this for everyone.

The only socially acceptable term is recreational nicotine.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Word.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 2 months ago #
  6. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I don't care what you call it as long as you're willing to share.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was born in 1942 in a small town in the foot hill of the mountains in N.Carolina.It was farm country.Almost every farmer included tobacco in what they grew.They sold it each year to get money for things they couldn't grow..For some it was all the money they got all year.Honest hard working folks.They almost called it Baccy.That was a long time ago.I seldom hear it used these days.When I do hear it it reminds me of a long past culture.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 2 months ago #
  8. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

I heard it a lot in my youth (a long time ago) mostly from old-timers.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outside of this forum I have never heard it. Some co-workers mentioned 'Toby', but that's all the nicknames I've heard. Or is that 'nic-name'?

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Baccy's fine, but terms like hobby and community sound too much like euphemisms to cover shame for being a tobacco user.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 months ago #
  11. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

Embers I am glad to see that I am not the only one to hate those terms.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

When I read Baccy here, for some reason, it reminds me of the actor Walter Brennan. A regular in the old classic movies.

I've never heard it used in conversation with anyone in my own personal experience.

I don't consider smoking a pipe a hobby either.

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The term can be a pseudo folksy cliche. If someone says it because they grew up hearing it, it doesn't annoy me.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't see any reason why it would annoy anyway. Tobacco has had may different nicknames over the centuries. Smoke it, whatever you prefer to call it, and be happy.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  15. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, I hadn't read this thread till just now, but earlier I was out on my porch with a contemplative bowl of a mix of blends I like and thinking about influences.
    We always think about our Grandfathers, Fathers, Uncles, neighbors or the guy at the newsstand when we think of pipe smokers we might be emulating now.
    I thought about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. I thought about that first taste of 'independence' and step toward the idylls of the pipe while reading Mr. Clemens.
    I always enjoy my cob(s) and baccy.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Baccy's fine, but terms like hobby and community sound too much like euphemisms to cover shame for being a tobacco user.

The one that gets me is 'piper' or 'piping'. I think people started saying this because they didn't want to refer to themselves as a smoker. But I'm pretty sure if you look in the dictionary, this is a piper:

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 2 months ago #
  17. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

Ahhhhhhh . . . the only musical instrument ever to be declared to be a "Weapon of War."

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You've obviously never heard me play the banjo.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On reflection, I bet I have used 'baccy several times on Forums, just because I have used the words tobacco, leaf, or blends so often, I thought I'd give the reader a rest. Clearly, some don't like that. After this thread, if I use 'baccy, I'm probably pulling your chain.

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The term can be a pseudo folksy cliche.
    (re: "baccy")

As in "I'm loving me some baccy I got at the General Store."

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  21. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Clearly, some don't like that. After this thread, if I use 'baccy, I'm probably pulling your chain.

Now that the Baccy Cat is out of the bag it will be interesting to see if its usage will become scarce or prolific. Perhaps this will be the turning point and I'll fully embrace the term

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't use the word and don't care much if others do. All I care about is smoking it every day, all day, until me eyes bleed red.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  23. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Baccy? No, don't use that term, but I do on occasion refer to tobacco as "weed".

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 months ago #
  24. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Until I joined this forum, I had never heard the term baccy. Older folks I knew as a child would call it baccer though.

Posted 2 months ago #
  25. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

When I hear the term "weed" I don't think of tobacco.

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest, it’s just a shortened way of saying tobacco. There are much greater issues in the world than to let the term ‘baccy’ bother you. I’ve used it from time to time myself. When I’m visiting forums on my phone, which is 99.9% of the time I like to shorten things up bit, I realize it’s only two letters but it all adds up when typing out posts on my phone with my gigantic fingers. You’re not the first to voice your concern over the term though, I can think of at least 2 other threads with the same complaint. I don’t get it.

Now, what baccy am I gonna smoke next? Hmmmm... I’ve got to enjoy this hobby of mine and share my joy with the community.

Posted 2 months ago #
  27. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now, what baccy am I gonna smoke next?

I think you mean, what baccy are you going to pipe next. 'Smoke' has such a connotation of smoking. Not at all in line with the community of fellow pipers engaged in this hobby.

Posted 2 months ago #
  28. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

anataandroscoggin, true that. I'm not one for T-ahirts with graphics but, while attending a now defunct Scottish festival, which was held on Beltane, (owing to my Ulster-Scot heritage), couldn't pass up this lovely one featuring a line of Scotsman on a hill holding up their claymores with a lone piper alongside. And, yes, to be called a piper one plays the pipes. I'm fine with baccy. But weed? I came of age around '72 and weed was always pot/cannabis/mary jane, etc, not tobacco. Unless of course you called it wacky tobaccy.

Posted 2 months ago #
  29. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

Maybe I should go to CafePress (is it still a thing?) and have some t-shirts made with the "Scottish Klingon" clan badge design I made a few years ago.

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I assume it's a regional thing, primarily Southern. I am big into the retention of Culture, so I approve of the use of the word.

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you mean, what baccy are you going to pipe next. 'Smoke' has such a connotation of smoking. Not at all in line with the community of fellow pipers engaged in this hobby.

Posted 2 months ago #
  32. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't use 'baccy', but I'm not bothered by it. I mostly use 'toby', especially when posting here and trying to avoid repetition (pack the tobacco using the Frank Method, then char the tobacco with a match, tamp down the tobacco to even it out, then do the final light, move the flame in a circle to light all the tobacco...—argh, way too many iterations of tobacco toby).

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  33. scottfree

scottfree

Login to Send PM

I have two pipe tobacco products with the word 'baccy' right on them. The first is an old glass tobacco humidor with 'baccy' on it. The second is a 'BaccyFlap', which is a handy little container for your pocket. As far as the term 'baccy', I use it all the time. Like when I say "git yure grubby clam-diggers offa me baccy, dadgummit!'.

Find what you love, and let it kill you.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  34. fusion

fusion

Login to Send PM

Im in California now but im from the north east of England, any pipe tobacco but mostly roll your own cigy tobacco was and still is called baccy

Posted 2 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

northernpipeshed

Login to Send PM

"Do my soft assumptions irk you?".................Yes

Sounds like a narrow minded view by someone who is stuck in a small world.

In the North East of England the word baccy is used nearly everyday.

Posted 2 months ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Little harsh there, North. Try not to be so judgmental, eh? And you might want to read the Forum Rules, especially # 10. The OP broached the subject in a lighthearted manner. I think that he was right when he identified regional language differences and generational influences when it comes to the use of the word baccy. I use the word when it suits.

Posted 2 months ago #
  37. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel similarly. Irked.
    Though growing up in rural NC I did hear that as a youth. Just don’t like it! My grandfather was the picture of southern grace. He would say, “tobbacca” - in that field ‘over yonder’
    That’s distant but within sight.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 2 months ago #
  38. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a narrow minded view by someone who is stuck in a small world

@northernpipeshed, I am glad that these comments were focused in my general direction and not some of our Pipe Magazine Legends. Folks who's pipe knowledge and superb thinking processes far exceed my own. With that said please rest assured that I was only trying to evoke some thoughts on the term "Baccy" to elevate the post beyond the perception that I was simply complaining about the term. I am genuinely interested in term because I have not been exposed to it despite the fact that I have visited half of our great union and smoked in half a dozen countries overseas. I don't consider reaching out to hundreds of people and asking for insights as perpetuating being "someone who is stuck in a small world" @mau1 Thanks for helping explain my original intentions.

I find that some of my favorite threads cover a simple topic in an open forum manner. This allows everyone to share what the subject matter means to them. We learn a little more about each other with every contribution made. We know who might be likely to crack a joke, who might be the most knowledge in the cyber room, and who might be the first to ruffle feathers or have feathers ruffled.

My footer quote was borrowed from a forum members and has been unchanged for a few years now. It reads ""I am a firm believer in the idea that who we are today is strongly influenced by the sum total of all of the individuals whom we have had the privilege of knowing"

Posted 2 months ago #
  39. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

I think MSO nailed it. It doesn't bother me when it's used authentically. But when it's used in a pseudo folksy manner it's off-putting such as in the sentence, "I like to smoke my baccy whilst lunting about." No one in my area has ever "lunted". We walk or we hike. And we do things "while" doing other things. If you speak with an English accent and you say whilst, I will believe it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  40. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Hobby is one that bugs me, too. I mean I get it, there's certainly more of a hobbyish element to it than, say, sucking down a pack of Marlboros. But at the same time, it also feels like a cover word for tobacco shame/Nic addiction. I suppose it depends on the smoker and how/why/with what they smoke, etc.

It just instantly reminds me of a thank you note Jimmy Fallon once wrote that said "Thank you Craft Beer, for making my alcoholism seem like a fun hobby."

Never been bothered by baccy, and obviously not piper, hahaha. When I hear the word smoker I immediately think of a cigarette smoker so I think it's a valid distinction. And a community is a community whether you're sipping wine or shooting heroin, so that one has never bothered me either. Just means folks with a shared interest or common goals, attitudes, etc.

Posted 2 months ago #
  41. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

If you speak with an English accent and you say whilst, I will believe it.

cool wHip....

Posted 2 months ago #
  42. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a narrow minded view by someone who is stuck in a small world

Shaming people for shaming people is two wrongs trying two do right. Me? Well, I am with the radioshow episodes where Brian said that it was such a stupid thing to hear someone say, and it's been hacked around in pipeforums for years now. In fact, I remember reading the whole forum storm with rage at someone posting "bakky" before I ever joined here. It was one of the traits about this forum that endeared me to join... that, and corn cob bashing.

But, use the phrase all you want. It doesn't bother me or upset me. I am more open minded than that. No, I just envision someone who would say something like that as being someone who hates humanity so much that they get the word "HATE" or "Satan" tattooed on their neck or get the side of their mouth pieced so we see the cud of the tobacco they are chewing with black spittle running down the side of their head. Or, maybe an old coot from deep in the mountains dancing a little barefoot jig with delight in their coon skin speedos and dusty old leather hat, singing "backy, bakky!" and cackling with delight.

Praise be to ye, for just saying whatever you want in any old way you want. But, you can't control what we think. Use the phrase with pride... kind of like seeing a grown ass man wearing a Scottish skirt in a room full of normal people. Do it.. It gives the rest of us something to chuckle about. I won't be putting you down for it... out loud.

Michael
    Posted 2 months ago #
  43. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Corn Cob bashing is one thing, but don't you dare knock coon skin speedos! TAKE IT BACK!!!!!

Posted 2 months ago #
  44. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha... nope. I will just resign myself into the proud to be a damn snobbish prick category. Hey, if it's not me, someone else would have to do it. I'll take one for the team.

Posted 2 months ago #
  45. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, I've never had the opportunity to wear a kilt, though seen many who did but only at Scottish festivals. That would have been the only lace I'd have been caught dead wearing one had I purchased one.

Posted 2 months ago #
  46. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

There are usually a few brave Scots that wear their kilts at the Chicago pipe show.

Posted 2 months ago #
  47. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh yeh, Highland and Scottish Festivals would be more appropriate, but every pipe show or event there's always that one guy... or two... more power to them, but to me someone might as well dress up like Batman or a mermaid.

Posted 2 months ago #
  48. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

See those dudes at beer festivals all the time as well. I saw one at the last Great Alaska Beer and Barleywine Festival that had, I shit you not, a leather kilt on. Not like cowboy or biker leather, like leather daddy fetish leather. You gotta wonder what happened to that dude at some point in his life to make that a reasonable, nay, preferable choice of attire for the occasion. Or ever.

I guess it takes all kinds of folks, as they say.

Posted 2 months ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

northernpipeshed

Login to Send PM

mau1

.......its my opinion. I don't agree with something and consider someone else's views narrow minded...that;s my opinion....it's not judgemental it's how It comes across to me.......and put your forum police book back in your pocket.

Posted 2 months ago #
  50. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Word. Hobby? I guess it could be for some. I smoke 5 to 7 bowls per day and enjoy each one tremendously. It goes way past hobby for me. If you consider eating and drinking a hobby, then I suppose I could call pipe smoking a hobby. I don't get the community thing, that's where people live. But if you like to refer to this place as a community, have a happy.

Posted 2 months ago #
  51. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doesn't take much to get this community worked up over nomenclature and idiom with regards to our hobby. Guess I'll go pipe some baccy ...

Posted 2 months ago #
  52. ryeguy

ryeguy

Login to Send PM

It seems to me that many people with less that a year smoking gravitate to the term over assuming its "cool kid" daily use. Do you feel similarly?

I generally agree. It doesn't bother or offend me, but it usually sticks out and feels unnatural like an attempt to use a lingo the user doesn't know--"Look I heard this once on Little House on the Prarie and maybe if I casually drop it in conversation I will look like I've been doing this forever."

Of course, it can also be used consciously and unseriously, and that is totally different.

Posted 2 months ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a narrow minded view by someone who is stuck in a small world.

North,

Glad to hear it's just your opinion and not, you know, a personal shot at the OP. We wouldn't want to have that, now would we. The forum police book will stay close to hand, you never know when it will be needed.

Posted 2 months ago #
  54. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hadn’t even thought about it until I read this thread. Now I’m outraged.

Posted 2 months ago #
  55. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@krizzose, your remarks definitely fit your "Happy Fun Ball" demeanor. You certainly have me laughing over here. Sorry that it comes at your outrage's expense.

j/B

Posted 2 months ago #
  56. dino

dino

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK folk, sharpen your talons, hoist your brickbats, I'm coming out of retirement, as a Teacher-Librarian, to ask that before you pooh-pooh the use of "hobby" and "community," you go to your Merriam-Webster and check out the actual definitions of those terms. And, I don't care what you call tobacco. However, I feel, unless it is a cultural or regional custom, the use of "baccy" is pure affectation. That said, language usage is as varied as our pipe and tobacco choices. Embrace the beauty of those choices.
    And so to bed.

Posted 2 months ago #
  57. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

By that logic and definition, smoking cigarettes and marijuana are hobbies.

Posted 2 months ago #
  58. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

For those that smoke once or twice per week, I can understand being a hobbyist smoker, but for those of us that smoke multiple times per day during daily activities it's less hobby and more just something we do like lacing boots or mowing the lawn. That being said, it can enhance a hobby.

Posted 2 months ago #
  59. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely pipe, Duane. And your puzzle acquisition disorder is growing

Posted 2 months ago #
  60. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Lovely pipe, Duane.

Thanks! That's a Jason Beverage Eggfish from J. Everett Pipes.

And your puzzle acquisition disorder is growing

No kidding, now that I know there are artisan twisty puzzle designers I'm really in trouble!

Posted 2 months ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

northernpipeshed

Login to Send PM

mau1
    Looks like it's time for both of us to smoke the pipe of peace this week eh?............

I'm going to have a bowl of G.L. Pease Barbary Coast "baccy" in a Uniquebriar swirled pot.......

What kind of "tobacco" will you have with me?

Posted 2 months ago #
  62. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sure no one cares but I don't mind what people call tobacco (baccy, tobacca, etc) as long as it is genuine and not affected. I think some pipe smokers suffer from affectation. I place high value on authenticity. At the end of the day whatever gets you through the night works but I may find it a little silly if I perceive choice of words as affected.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 2 months ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

North,

Sounds good to me. All disagreements should be settled this way.

I'll have a bowl of Solani - X Sweet Mystery tabac in a Stanwell Buffalo Calabash.

Kick back and enjoy the weekend

Posted 2 months ago #
  64. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Seldom, I share your sentiments. A thought on affectations and authenticity, some peoples authenticity may be enhanced through affectations, like how people can become more honest when wearing a mask or otherwise concealed. If a person is comfortable they appear normal enough, they might still be creating themselves... Now developing an English accent overnight is different. Takes all kinds and some provide comic relief, good enough for me. Keep using words, people.

Posted 2 months ago #
  65. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ATTENTION:

This thread has been flagged as being in violation of the ABHA (Affected Baccy Hobbyist Assoc) Community Standards.

Posted 2 months ago #
  66. upnorth1

upnorth1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dislike it but not as much as "lunting". I also dislike it being referred to as a hobby.

Posted 2 months ago #
  67. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pipebaum: I have you laughing?

I make you laugh?

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   catyrpelius, redone, alexnc, jiminks