PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
This is basically what 90% of us are saying in all the political threads that get shut down, because some fool(s) think this is still a "great" nation...

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Just stating the facts. There is a difference between the vetted blog post and the random threads that pop up touching on similar topics/themes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The applicable rule. (emphasis is mine)

6. We want to keep it friendly and fun around here. Political threads make it nearly impossible to maintain that type of atmosphere, so they are forbidden ... (unless they have to do with tobacco policies and legislation).
I think even when related to tobacco issues, a mod should set the boundaries of the discourse.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
The younger folks aren't individuals these days.They function in groups.Social media is an example.If they have to be alone for awhile they're on the phone.They can't and don't want to think for themselves.Same Dress,Same Actions,Same Vcabulary,Same Movies,Same TV Shows,Same Music,And the same willingness to belive the crap that big brother spreads about us pipe smokers,so we can be restricted as much as possible.They would have no regard for the facts eaven if they knew them.They sit back allowing another's rights to be trampled on not realizing that their turn will come.We are in very serious trouble in this country.We are headed in a direction contrary to what we will be celabrating tomorrow.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The cream of the young people are in Iraq, Afganastan , and bases all over the world. Every Generation says the preceding gen is a lost cause. I don't believe that, all we hear is about the bad young people, lots of good young folks in America.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
You see Kevin? No one is above their own rules. I have a comment or two to make about Bradley's assertion that the "best" of America's youth are at war (with a fabricated enemy), but am going to refrain from saying anything more, because this thread shouldn't even exist. Why? Because it addresses America's political and sociological environment in general, and used tobacco as a catalyst.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
lostandfound, settle down. The hill you're on ain't important enough to die defending. We need for you to remain a member here. :lol:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I could not agree with the article more. Nice to see Shelby Foote has a Dunhill, that he uses as a simple pipe, and not some object to be revered. Trying to keep this short and friendly, but regarding the greater good and lost freedoms, I see trouble not only on the horizon, but already here and done. The 'greater good' translated means 'more power to politicians, less freedom for you'.
@lost: We agree on a great many things. I will say those serving really are the cream of the crop, it's the politicians that suck. Soldiers don't start wars, politicians do - soldiers faithfully serve. But they serve their country and each other, not the politicians.
PS I don't want a kiss :)

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Now now fellas, just be good little earners for your owners. Drink your fluoride, eat your GMO, and believe what you see on TV. You are free, to do as we tell you. You are free, to do as we tell you.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I guess the topic of war, in general, really gets my goat. I sure didn't mean to show any disrespect towards anyone. I believe my original point still stands though. It's painfully obvious that this thread is no longer about tobacco.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I couldn't disagree with Puffy more! I guess I just don't see the loss of "freedom" that I hear consistently bitched and moaned about. Hell I even smoke in my house and car. I know for many groups freedom and equality are an ongoing issue but for me nothing has changed. 8O

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For the record, Dave, freedom and equality stand at the antithesis of each another.
I'm sorry you can't see the changes that have occurred over the past several decades in this regard, but they are among the most rapid changes to have occurred in human history, they are still in play, and we our children will live with the repercussions.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
As a former member of the armed services (Navy) and someone who has many friends -and family members- who have served I can attest that we really only serve to stand next to and fight for each other. We go where they send us and we complete missions assigned, but we ultimately fight for the guys next to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.