PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I read posts that describe "the best pipe for this blend is a Group 2....etc" and then the debate begins regarding WTH that actually means and that Dunhill Group numbers were often inconsistent. Is their no standard that shows bowl diameter, depth, and shape of bowl (conical, round, cylinder, etc)?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Not really? Because if there was their sizes would be discussed according to it and communication would occur with more precision. Guys talk about size, each with their unique understanding. so to do so effectively you have to understand their formulas and translate their understanding into yours. I think the thing that makes for the most confusion is that their group sizings varied by shape. So a billiard group 4 didn't follow millimeter by square millimeter for the bowl of an egg.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I think in group sizes. If someone says to me "it's about a group __ size" I can get a pretty good idea what they're talking about. Last week I naturally described a pipe in the collection as a Gr8 to another collector. 8O

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, that works, as do small, medium, large and extra-large! Add in minuscule, and I think it's covered. But the Dunhill group size seems to be pretty well set in the lexicon of pipe smoking.
One could easily measure the CCs a pipe holds, but that's probably not done outside of a few shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.