PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Excellent job Fred. BTW, I just noticed this Bekler on ebay and thought of you. It doesn't have quite the detail of your better pieces, but it's an unusual design.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180552452146&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys. It's really a pleasure to collect and smoke these Pipes.

The whole thing gets out of hand, but it's a fine madness - which can

be contagious.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Fred,

I enjoyed it immensely.
Thank you, and there is something to be said for "a fine madness".
I think your article is a must read for anyone even remotely interested in Meerschaum pipes.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I think your article is a must read for anyone even remotely interested in Meerschaum pipes.
It's one of the best, if not the best, "ABC's of Meerschaum" articles I've ever read. I really liked the buying advice, because after all, if you're planning on enjoying a meer, it's crucial that you get a good one before said enjoyment can even happen.
One sentence that struck a chord with me is:
Some choose to handle the pipe as they would a Briar. It’s best to do what you feel comfortable with.
It's nice to see an article that doesn't imply that I won't get the most out of my pipe if I'm not a stickler about the way I smoke it.
Nicely done, Fred!

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Ive recently been toying around looking at adding some meres to my collection and this helped a LOT to what to look for. Thank you very much for writing this!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks again guys! When Kevin asked me to write the article, I saw the

chance to address some of the myths about Meerschaums and bring the interest

level up by discussing choices. As Dudley has pointed out, much has been

written about the habits of the individual Meerschaum smoker. The fact is,

there are choices to be made and just as there are many Pipe smokers, there

are likely as many opinions. I'm comfortable with the old school thinking, but

that's because I made the choice to do so. It's really all about what you expect

for your own experiences that will guide your choices. BTW, I don't own any

white gloves...

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Excellent article Fred. I am waiting for the one on estates as I have LOTS of those and would enjoy your ideas on them.
Thanks to Kevin for getting Fred to write up this fine article.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Well written Fred. I've read most of your posts on SF and it's good you put your experiences and knowledge together in an article that makes it easy to understand. I too am looking forward to your thoughts on estate meers.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the article, Fred! Another step closer to working up the gumption to find a quality meer. My B and M has some in stock, but I don't know the quality.
Simon

fyfbuddy

Lurker
Sep 24, 2011
I know this is an old thread but I am glad I found it! I love my meer and I do not use gloves either. I smoke to relax, worrying about skin oils on my pipe doesn't relax me.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks again Kevin et all. It is entirely my pleasure to watch the spark of interest grow into the flame of true passion for these White Pipes. Besides this first article, which addresses the acquisition of new Pipes, I wrote another for those considering becoming involved in the estate Pipe market and an article on the most discussed topic for over 300 years - coloring Meerschaums. These 3 articles give the basics and just might get you on your way to becoming a Devotee of The White Goddess.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/the-thrill-of-the-hunt-a-guide-to-estate-meerschaums/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/slave-to-the-white-goddess/

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks Clanobucklin. It's really all about the Pipes and their culture that keeps me interested. There is still much to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.