Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Cam does a lot of good things in the pipe community for which he goes unrecognized. He was a first year member of the GKCPC and has served in numerous official capacities for that organization. He is currently an officer in the UPCA.
He also has helped a number of organizations get their websites built using the Wild Apricot product. Specifically he is the webmaster for UPCA and the GKCPC. Any club wanting to create a website quickly and at a reasonable price couldn’t go wrong by contacting Cam.
He also has a new web site Pipe Show Online which looks like it is going to be a great place groups without sites to have a web presence. You should check it out at http://www.pipeshowonline.com

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Wait, so how does it stick to the magnet? something is installed INTO the heel of the pipe?

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@Nathaniel

Wait, so how does it stick to the magnet? something is installed INTO the heel of the pipe?
Yep. A little magnet gets placed into the bottom of the bowl. It's loose just sitting in there, so you dump it out when ready to smoke the pipe.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
OOOOOOOHHHHH!!! I get it now. Thanks Kevin! Now that IS a good idea. I might have to try it out... at first I thought he meant actually drilling in a magnet or something, and I was trying to think why anyone would be so desperate for a cool pipe stand to seriously modify their new 1200 dollar dunhill! :crazy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep. A little magnet gets placed into the bottom of the bowl. It's loose just sitting in there, so you dump it out when ready to smoke the pipe.
Ah-ha, that is a much more aesthetic solution than Savinelli came up with for their 135th anniversary pipes. They added an extension to the bowl where a magnetic is permanently afixed. The pipe shape looks a little odd to me, a Poker or Cherrywood style pipe would have worked much better.

002-033-6089.jpg

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
The idea just fascinated me so I did some looking around. I see where Vaun has been selling 3 pipe stand that is similar,

41jzV57JhbL._SS400_.jpg

313pDTZhgFL._SS400_.jpg

Ouch at $75.
Then I found a site that sells the rare earth magnets, Applied Magnets, and they are really inexpensive.
This could be fun to play with.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I just found some countersunk disk magnets on the 'bay which would negate the need for the buttons, at least I think. I am ordering the setup today and will update when I have them in... sounds like some fun tinkering is in store soon!!! :lol:

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
As olderthandirt said Vauen has been doing it for a long time.
ssjones: it's a cutty shape and I love it :P have got my eye on it but a bit pricey for me at the moment.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
You could countersink the rare earth magnets in the base of the stand, then cover with a plug of the wood you removed (like you do on the deck of a yacht to cover the screw holes). If you carefully aligned the grain and finished, then you wouldn't even seen the spots where the magnets were, especially when the pipes were in place.
Now use a steel ball bearing in the pipe (no need for another magnet, no worry about polarity) and you have MAGIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.