PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
After the discussion about MacBite I've started smoking from my jar of Dark Twist again. I had it in my mind that whatever bite I was getting was from poor cadence and drying/packing technique. Over the last couple days I've been trying to get the most flavor out of this notoriously bitey, but delicious blend. Today I think I succeeded. I rubbed out a few coins and let them dry on a paper towel for about 30 mins. Then I set off smoking as slowly as possible. Success! All the hidden flavor was there nice honey, buttery bread notes. A little bite on relights, but I could get it settled down within a few sips. I think it still needs a bit more drying time so next bowl I will let it dry for an hour and see if that improves the burn and further lessens the bite.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I almost lost my tung to that bite when I first tried dark twist, then I let it simmer for about 6 months, it's my every day smoke and I can't push it hard enough to bite, I don't know what changed but I love it!

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I completely agree Roth, dark twist bit me when I had been smoking 2-3 months, by the time I was almost a year in I tried again and I believe I was more different than the baccy.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
So I was running short on time this morning and decided to try something I've never done...microwave my tobacco! I rubbed out four coins on a paper towel and threw it in the microwave for 20 seconds. Came out perfectly dry and passed the pinch test perfectly. Loaded it up in my Tsuge's Dublin and whamo! Not even a hint of bite and I can tell you the second half of the bowl is awesome right now. So that's it slower smoking and mainly at least 45 mins of dry time or 15 to 20 seconds in the microwave made this blend smoke night and day different.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I dry it at least a half hour, usually try for more. Then I just fold a couple of coins, smash them up a little bit and shove them in so they are a little loose in the pipe trying to keep an air pocket at the bottom of the bowl. I've always found it a little hard to light, so sometimes I'll put it down for a few minutes after the charring light to let it cool down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.